Death of Retail? - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Grocery shopping can be a chore. The stores are laid out to maximize your time. I get it, they have to make money. But it takes longer than it has to. And the lines at checkout; there has to be a more efficient way to cash out.

I rad an article last week the WSJ that some European retailers (H&M) are actually expanding their footprint in the US.

We were fortunate to have a small grocery store open across the street last year. The place is barely as big as a 7-11 but they have an excellent selection with a butcher counter, good beer and wine, and so on. It's pricier than a large chain but it worth it and serves 90% of our needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Grocery shopping can be a chore. The stores are laid out to maximize your time. I get it, they have to make money. But it takes longer than it has to. And the lines at checkout; there has to be a more efficient way to cash out.

I rad an article last week the WSJ that some European retailers (H&M) are actually expanding their footprint in the US.
    I'm a Market Basket fan. The prices and service are excellent and only at peak times are there bad lines. Compared to my towns Stop & Shop - so expensive, long lines, zero service - I wonder how they stay in business. Long lines bc they can't be bothered to staff. Small places are generally very expensive compared to MB - so only go in a pinch. I do love Foodies in Boston (now one in Belmont) - worth paying more for. But hate give S&S any of my business.

I cant imagine grocery shopping delivery - I tried Roach Brothers once - never did again - didn't feel it was worth it (there was a substation and something else I forgot). I have shopping down to a science - do it 50 times/year so I should be efficient by now!

MB is great. They are always so much better price wise than the Hannaford in the next town over near me

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app
    2016-17
    Bretton Woods 11/23, 4/17
    Cannon 12/3, 4/8
    Ragged Mtn 12/9, 12/16, 12/17, 12/23, 12/24, 12/30, 12/31, 1/2, 1/7, 1/15, 1/21, 1/29, 2/11, 2/18, 3/4, 3/5, 3/19, 3/26, 4/1
    Crotched Mtn 12/21, 1/4, 1/11, 1/18, 1/25, 2/1, 2/8, 2/12, 2/15, 2/22, 3/9, 3/25, 4/2
    Gunstock 12/28
    Wildcat 1/22, 2/10, 4/15, 4/16
    Magic Mtn 1/26, 1/27
    Whaleback 2/19
    Okemo 11/26, 2/25
    Pats Peak 3/1
    Smugglers Notch 3/10
    Stowe 3/11
    Jay Peak 3/12
    Sugarbush (Mt Ellen) 3/13

2016-2017 Days: 51
    2015-2016 Days: 25
    2014-2015 Days: 36
    2013-2014 Days: 25
    2012-2013 Days: 16
    2011-2012 Days: 25
    2010-2011 Days: 24
    2009-2010 Days: 47

Death of Retail?

Amazon Prime Video has a very good documentary about the Market Basket boycott from a few years ago. I learned a lot. That business is quite the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd View Post
    Amazon Prime Video has a very good documentary about the Market Basket boycott from a few years ago. I learned a lot. That business is quite the story.
    Market Basket is great. Had a good friend who worked there and participated in the boycott. I shop at Aldi too (weird German grocery store). That process is extremely streamlined with miniature stores that are packed with at least everything I need.

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffy View Post
    I, personally, can't stand buying clothes on-line. I guess I'm fussy about the fit. I need to try them on, and hate shipping back stuff.
    I'm quite a bit younger than most on here and I hate buying clothes online. Clothing stores won't be going away anytime soon. I just hope in 10 years TJMaxx type stores aren't my only option, but I don't think they will be.

The chain department stores will live on, and new ones will open up and take the market by storm. Every generation going back well into the 20th century has had 'their' department store with a new company capturing each new generation. Online will not eliminate that trend, it will just change it. The department store that finds a way to more seamlessly integrate the online experience will win out.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiFanE View Post
    I cant imagine grocery shopping delivery - I tried Roach Brothers once - never did again - didn't feel it was worth it
    Roach Brothers? As the name of a grocery delivery service? Really?

Who does the marketing and branding work for these businesses? Why not Listeria and Sons? Or Salmonella Inc.?

Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    Roach Brothers? As the name of a grocery delivery service? Really?

Who does the marketing and branding work for these businesses? Why not Listeria and Sons? Or Salmonella Inc.?
    Roche haha. Family name I believe. Overpriced grocery store. Utterly ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Jully View Post
    Roche haha. Family name I believe. Overpriced grocery store. Utterly ridiculous.
    It is a family name yes. Overpriced for every day items for sure. But, a good place to go for specialty produce and meats that you aren't likely to find in a standard grocery store. On those items, they're pretty well inline with a Whole Foods.

Thread Information