Death of Retail? - Page 5

AlpineZone

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jack97 View Post
    ^^^ Self checkout was something I was thinking about in terms of how current retailers needs to adapt. I like the convenience and will shop at Home Depot and WalMart for that reason.
    The robots are taking our jobs!

Quote Originally Posted by moresnow View Post
    It's not like kids today are rushing out to get these types of jobs. When I was in HS I couldn't wait to be old enough to get a part time job. I knew there were things I wanted and didn't want my parents paying for. I wanted to go to concerts and they didn't have the extra money for tickets and tee shirts (first show was $17). Also I wanted a car and my license which again there wasn't extra money around for this shit. Today kids can't be bothered with driving and that drives me nuts. Permitted on my 16th birthday and licensed two days after turning 16-1/2!

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app
    15-16 Killington 11-17-16

Quote Originally Posted by prsboogie View Post
    It's not like kids today are rushing out to get these types of jobs. When I was in HS I couldn't wait to be old enough to get a part time job. I knew there were things I wanted and didn't want my parents paying for. I wanted to go to concerts and they didn't have the extra money for tickets and tee shirts (first show was $17). Also I wanted a car and my license which again there wasn't extra money around for this shit. Today kids can't be bothered with driving and that drives me nuts. Permitted on my 16th birthday and licensed two days after turning 16-1/2!

It doesn't help the college application process has spiraled out of control. I don't think many kids wait to get there license. Those who wait seem to be mainly city kids who wouldn't drive anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by prsboogie View Post
    Today kids can't be bothered with driving and that drives me nuts. Permitted on my 16th birthday and licensed two days after turning 16-1/2!

Quote Originally Posted by benski View Post
    I don't think many kids wait to get there license. Those who wait seem to be mainly city kids who wouldn't drive anyway.
    Yeah wait what? What kids can't be bothered with driving these days? That's the exact opposite of how I would critique kids and driving these days haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Aldi is a cool store. Really interesting business model. It's the one grocery store I don't mind going into. Mainly because you can get out of there fairly quickly. I read a competitor of theirs is coming stateside, Lidl...another German grocery chain.
    I can shop for the week in 7 minutes, and I'm not exaggerating. It takes me 7 minutes to walk once through the vegetable section in the local stop and shop. I didn't have a problem with grocery stores until I started shopping at Aldi, now I get upset when I have to go into one.

I hadn't heard about a competitor, interested to hear how that will play out.

I'm going to keep an eye on it as well. Aldi has been taking business from some of the larger chains who sell groceries; specifically Wal-Mart.

Reminds me of Food Lion grocery stores when I lived in California.
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

One thing about Roche brothers is their service - they wheel out your carriage for you and load the car. If $ isn't an issue, I would love to shop there

I've been going to MB since 1990. I boycotted a few summers ago. Really no choice since they had nothing worth buying during it. But I was SO thankful they got bought by the "good" brother. My food bill nearly doubled. I was used to buying 3.99 wheel of Brie every week - at other store it was 8.99. Really had to put that in the "luxury" category - no way I'd pay that weekly. I read the MB book - good study on business practicies - suck businesses dry for owners - or be a loyal employer and community member and watch the business and $ come to you. Since MB was bought - prices have inched up in some things - but still so cheap. Brie is still $3.99 and LoL cheese is still $3+ more at S&S. I read the interest on loan is $2000/day per store. So they have to make that up somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by moresnow View Post
    They have and it's been going for quite some time. My high school home room teacher was the computer science teacher. He taught Basic, Cobol and Fortran to juniors and seniors. During homeroom or in my cs class, he told stories of how when he was a teenager, mid to big size companies would hire lots of workers just to add numbers in the finance dept. Although IBM (International Business Machine) was founded to build machines to perform these computational task, the cost was way too steep. It wasn't until the mid 70s that mainframes or the workstations built by DEC became affordable such that machines could replace the number adders. And then when the PC market undercut IBM and DEC then small business could streamline the finance dept to a skeleton crew.

Ever since Babbage ~ 1830s started work on a mechanical machine (engine) to perform computation, businesses have always looked for ways to reduce labor cost. I always tell my daughter this, if there's a remote chance or you see that your job can be replace by automation then it will. Its been like that since the industrial revolution.
    I rather be @ss noodling

Quote Originally Posted by benski View Post
    It doesn't help the college application process has spiraled out of control. I don't think many kids wait to get there license. Those who wait seem to be mainly city kids who wouldn't drive anyway.
    I have 4 nephews and nieces all in the early 20s now and they had a fairly decent number of friends, say a total of 15, 2 of them had gotten their licenses asap the last to get hers was 20. A lot of the people I work with have older teenagers who were late getting their licenses with no real passion to get it other than the parents telling them they weren't going to continue carting their asses around. None of us live in a city where you can walk to get to everything you need.

15-16 Killington 11-17-16

Thread Information