Death of Retail?

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 57

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Death of Retail?

    We've seen a lot of ski retailers go under in recent years. Seems like many regular, large retailers have or will soon go under. Death watch in 2017 includes Penney's, Sears, Men's Wearhouse/Jos A. Bank, Casual Male, and a bunch of women's wear shops. When/Where is this going to end? I'm very old school and have never bought an article of clothing or shoes/boots off Amazon. Is everyone comfortable losing tons of brick and morter stores for the stuff of life? What happens to the outlets and the TJ Maxx's when there are no original clothing manufacturers For those who live in the suit and tie world, where do you go for a decent, affordable suit if places like Macy's go under?

    Last edited by jimk; May 12, 2017 at 12:35 PM.

  2. #2
    It is a funny trend! The big stores came in and squashed the smaller main street businesses. Now online shopping has been slowly squashing brick and mortar big stores but revitalization of main streets seem to be brining back the smaller stores that are more specialized. It is a vicious cycle. Some of the bigger stores will remain with an online strategy. We have taken to buying most of our ski gear online unless we happen to walk through a ski shop and see a good clearance sale.

    Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

    2016-2017 target - 50

    If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

  3. #3
    JimG.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Hopewell Jct., NY
    Posts
    9,542
    This is what people want...dlague just said it, he doesn't go into a store unless he can get a going out of business sale.

    I still enjoy(ed) browsing through a retail store but my shopping is pretty limited in terms of interest level. Outdoor oriented all the way. I like to see and hold things I'm about to purchase.

    Soon we won't be talking about "full employment", whatever that means. And this trend will only accelerate over the next 20 years.

  4. #4
    JimG.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Hopewell Jct., NY
    Posts
    9,542
    Quote Originally Posted by jimk View Post
    For those who live in the suit and tie world, where do you go for a decent, affordable suit if places like Macy's go under?
    Your cell phone will take your measurements and your custom suit will be delivered by a drone.

  5. #5
    We use Amazon Prime a lot. The two day shipping is great. As cord cutters, we'll watch shows through the video service. Prime music has been nice as well. Anyways, I haven't been to a mall in years. I gave that up years ago around Christmas time. My wife will visit stores every so often. Funny, she has started going to some smaller, main street non chain stores for clothing at times.

    It's all how tastes and preferences have shifted over the years.

    We still buy ski gear at ski shops. Tent sales have proven awesome. You just have to know when to go.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    We use Amazon Prime a lot. The two day shipping is great. As cord cutters, we'll watch shows through the video service. Prime music has been nice as well. Anyways, I haven't been to a mall in years. I gave that up years ago around Christmas time. My wife will visit stores every so often. Funny, she has started going to some smaller, main street non chain stores for clothing at times.

    It's all how tastes and preferences have shifted over the years.

    We still buy ski gear at ski shops. Tent sales have proven awesome. You just have to know when to go.
    Tent sales are good, I agree. We have gone to the one in North Conway and found good deals. But we know what sizes we wear for ski boots (do not required boot fitting) and outer layers and base layers. I research skis and have demoed skis in the past so online shopping for these products are easy. Helmets are a hands on deal for us.

    The problem with shopping for some things is the driving around. You either accept a specific stores price or drive around until satisfied. Online allows you quickly compare prices. Plus most sites offer free shipping and returns (only happened once).

    I dislike going to sports stores to look around.

    Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

    2016-2017 target - 50

    If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

  7. #7
    Edd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Newmarket, NH
    Posts
    4,277
    Every Apple Store I've gone into is crazy busy. Amazon opened a bookstore in Seattle not long ago. Kittery Trading Post is usually very busy and LL Bean seems to do well. The stores just need right approach. Walking into a Sears is instantly depressing.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Edd View Post
    Every Apple Store I've gone into is crazy busy. Amazon opened a bookstore in Seattle not long ago. Kittery Trading Post is usually very busy and LL Bean seems to do well. The stores just need right approach. Walking into a Sears is instantly depressing.
    Apple has the right idea with strong customer service in its stores. A lot of brick and mortar stores try competing by being cheeper but that's nearly impossible due to all there fixed costs and as a result the service suffers, making them more dependent on price for business.

  9. #9
    thetrailboss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    NEK by Birth; Alta/Snowbird by Choice
    Posts
    26,337
    Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by jimk View Post
    We've seen a lot of ski retailers go under in recent years. Seems like many regular, large retailers have or will soon go under. Death watch in 2017 includes Penney's, Sears, Men's Wearhouse/Jos A. Bank, Casual Male, and a bunch of women's wear shops. When/Where is this going to end? I'm very old school and have never bought an article of clothing or shoes/boots off Amazon. Is everyone comfortable losing tons of brick and morter stores for the stuff of life? What happens to the outlets and the TJ Maxx's when there are no original clothing manufacturers For those who live in the suit and tie world, where do you go for a decent, affordable suit if places like Macy's go under?
    So let's breakdown some of these named businesses.

    JC Penney's: they are not really keeping up with the trends. Lots of real estate. Shifting markets. No real internet presence from what I see. Simply a has-been that is not keeping up with the times.

    Sears: One only has to listen to a business channel or read some business websites to find PLENTY of commentary about this trainwreck. It's a slow, painful death for this once great retailer. Now being run by a group that is making money by scrapping it and selling off the place piecemeal. Wow. Just wow. In 20 years it has gone from top retailer to laughing stock.

    Men's Wearhouse/JAB: I think these two merged...maybe I am wrong. MW had a mini-crisis when they DUMPED their spokesman/founder. Identity issues in my book. Again, no innovation in their retail. Expensive prices. Changing trends. Young men no longer really wear suits to work....those that have jobs. Those that have high end jobs are finding that dress codes are more relaxed.

    Casual Male: no idea who the hell these guys are. What does that tell you?

    Women's Wear: a saturated marketplace.

    Overall, folks have less disposable income. There are niche stores that appeal to those that do. Folks are penny pinching by going to TJ Maxx or thrift stores. And a lot of younger folks want to do more with less.
    Live, Ski, or Die!


  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post
    So let's breakdown some of these named businesses.

    JC Penney's: they are not really keeping up with the trends. Lots of real estate. Shifting markets. No real internet presence from what I see. Simply a has-been that is not keeping up with the times.

    Sears: One only has to listen to a business channel or read some business websites to find PLENTY of commentary about this trainwreck. It's a slow, painful death for this once great retailer. Now being run by a group that is making money by scrapping it and selling off the place piecemeal. Wow. Just wow. In 20 years it has gone from top retailer to laughing stock.

    Men's Wearhouse/JAB: I think these two merged...maybe I am wrong. MW had a mini-crisis when they DUMPED their spokesman/founder. Identity issues in my book. Again, no innovation in their retail. Expensive prices. Changing trends. Young men no longer really wear suits to work....those that have jobs. Those that have high end jobs are finding that dress codes are more relaxed.

    Casual Male: no idea who the hell these guys are. What does that tell you?

    Women's Wear: a saturated marketplace.

    Overall, folks have less disposable income. There are niche stores that appeal to those that do. Folks are penny pinching by going to TJ Maxx or thrift stores. And a lot of younger folks want to do more with less.
    All good points. I'm a creature of my demographic...old, male, white collar. You're right about ties. To me they are a badge of achievement, to the under 35 crowd they mean boredom and failure. All the young tech millionaires don't own a tie

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 3:15 PM.