• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Roof rack

abc

BTW, I have quite a few REI brand gears in my closet, since way back when (like from back in the 90's). They were all made in China!

They were all of very high quality though. Still going strong after 20 years, serving their intended purposes (tents, packs...)

xwhaler

We have a Thule box with the Thule aero bars on my wife's SUV. I bought it new a few yrs ago at Golf and Ski Warehouse in Greenland NH. They were running a 20% off all Thule at the time and I had some rewards credit I applied to the deal which while $$ brought the cost down some.

They did the full install of the bars which made things easy.

My only recommendation is get as big as possible. They can be a bit tricky to pack once u start loading in gear beyond skis. U will appreciate having as much space as possible.
We use ours probably a few times each winter and some in the summer. If we didn't also have a pickup truck we would use it every wknd and I'd consider just leaving the box on all winter.

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

Last edited:

Smellytele

My roof rack/box system is interesting because Thule does not make a foot for the traverse roof rack system. I had to create my own connection for the foot to connect. I have used it for 6 or 7 years so I did okay.

BenedictGomez

My roof rack/box system is interesting because Thule does not make a foot for the traverse roof rack system. I had to create my own connection for the foot to connect. I have used it for 6 or 7 years so I did okay.

You couldnt just use the universal mount? Or is there something unique/wacky about the Traverse's roof rack?

Smellytele

You couldnt just use the universal mount? Or is there something unique/wacky about the Traverse's roof rack?

If you go to the thule fit website it comes up with nothing available. The rails along the edge is a slot that doesn't allow any of the thule's foot mounts to attach. The actual rails are really wide and kind of curved.

machski

Part of the issue with EMS is they are not a stand alone company. They are part of Bob's Stores and another retail brand I'm blanking on. I thought a lot of the chapter 11 was related to the other retail brand in the portfolio and not as much due to EMS or Bob's.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Jcb890

Brick and Mortar stores are great for going in and shooting the shit with the people that work there.

I find it enjoyable to go into the Burton store at the Wrentham Outlets whenever we go shopping there. That said, we've probably been in the store maybe 10-12 times over the past couple of years and only purchased like 4 total items there - my wife's Gore-Tex Burton pants which were a great deal and 3x $5 clearance t-shirts for the wife.

Everything else is over-priced pretty much everywhere. Most B&M board/ski shops are the same way. Sometimes you can find a good deal, I remember seeing some decent prices at some of the board/ski shops up near Killington last time we were up there. Might stop in again this weekend when we head up there (Saturday?).

Still, I like going into Eastern Boarder every once in a while to look around and shoot the shit. They're good for small fixes and stuff too. Concrete Wave is also local, but they're useless and don't have good pricing unless you find a good sale, which doesn't happen often. We'll try and go to Eastern Boarder's big "tent sale" thing this year, I'm not sure how good the pricing is for that though.

I understand the whole "buy local" idea and supporting local businesses. But, sorry, I don't make enough to disregard how much more expensive it generally is to "buy local".

cdskier

Part of the issue with EMS is they are not a stand alone company. They are part of Bob's Stores and another retail brand I'm blanking on. I thought a lot of the chapter 11 was related to the other retail brand in the portfolio and not as much due to EMS or Bob's.

Sport Chalet...it was a sporting goods chain out west. And yes, the parent company said they wanted to focus on EMS and Bob's and they shut down Sport Chalet last year as part of the Chapter 11, although it seems lagging sales across the board hurt them. They even cited the Sports Authority bankruptcy and going out of business sales as hurting EMS sales.

BenedictGomez

I understand the whole "buy local" idea and supporting local businesses. But, sorry, I don't make enough to disregard how much more expensive it generally is to "buy local".

If it's any consolation to you, neither do 99% of the self-righteous phonies & Pharisees who scold you to "buy local".

thetrailboss

Staff member

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Good point.

abc

That maybe true of their latest woes. But they were on their way down long before they sold to Bob's

Quietman

Getting old and time is speeding up but I think it was in 2013 they moved out of Peterborough. Not sure when they switched over making their stuff to Asia.

The huge warehouse in Peterborough has been pretty empty since they shut down their catalog business many, many years ago, and has been very empty since 2012 when the warehouses were consolidated at Bob's warehouse in CT(I think). Today I bought 3 sets of heavy duty shelves from the store as they are selling off all of the remaining warehouse equipment in preparation to lease the space. The Peterborough store will remain open.