• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

A Basin 5/20

I had hung up my skis when winterpark closed but with 22" in 3 days I had to go out atleast one more time and am going to try and ski every month this year.

Got an early start and arrived at 730. The lots were all full by 830 and it was crowded but more like a normal Saterday than anything insane.

Visibility was bad to start but got better as the day went on. It was a little crunchy under foot but I skied some solid powder. Everything was open including all the hike to routes.

Everything off Pallavicini skied really well and was all powder. I took two runs off the Zuma cornice and it felt like I was skiing mid season.

Than ended the day in land of the giants dropping a few small cliffs/boulders. Just another day in May.

7a57e6765cfb7c2bd8690303adc3c753.jpg

7ff9fafc3b81ac08bf39fd6fff171bc9.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using AlpineZone mobile app

dlague

We skied A Basin yesterday as well. Our story played out a little different. We left COS around 630 with an 8-8:10 arrival but when we hit the pass we got stuck in a 40 minute back up 4 turns up from A Basin. By the time we got there it was just past 8:30 and all lots were - could not even buy my way into a spot. They were actually parking down at Keystone 7 miles away. We decided to head to Frisco and eat breakfast to try later. We got back around 11 and s ores a spot in the upper lot - ski out and in practically. We headed straight to the top to hit East Wall and found the snows consistency to be thick. Ski patrol said it got heated up the day before and was not as dry and felt heavier. It was still great but not the ideal.powder that we expected. Everything was skiing really good and as mentioned in the OP - mid winter conditions. Light was t
Really flat higher up so for a bit we skied lower. Exhibition was hit and miss - powder bump then scrapped off bump. Snow was pushed around on that trial. Ramrod bumps were much better. We went up Pali lift and thought about Pali Face but it was sounding like Exhibition so we headed towards West Wall and I skied Nose which had nice powder bumps. It started to get brighter so we headed back up and did another run but still found the light very flat. Which caused us to never head to Zuma side. The groomers started to develop a glaze and packed out king of strange nut if on edge was ok. Overall a pretty good day but according to A Basin staff Thursday was the best day. I had planned on Friday but parking issues were just as bad. Lift lines we a bit of a put off but it was expected. Outfit this way 40 minutes for our first TNT run which includes two lift lines. The lines got much better as the afternoon progressed.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

dlague

I took a look at the picture on a larger monitor and you can see just how flat the light was.