Fishing 2017 - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fishing 2017

Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by Siliconebobsquarepants View Post
    Post some Brookie pictures ....IMO there the nicest looking fish Salt or Fresh
    HA, you're talking to the wrong guy SBSP.....been there, done that back in mid-60s. No touch/hold for pics these days... I mainly take water samples these days in areas of trout, that were bigger and in much heavier numbers back in the day. I don't touch em' these days......hold em' through rubber net....and don't have a GoPro(yet), but just fish in optimum hours = early AMs & eves for just a few hours. I enjoy other stuff more now...hiking, wildlife sightseeing...etc. If I happen to find the Hexagenia and Green and Brown Drake hatches happenning somewhere I'll get some brooktrout pics up and in a month....late July-mid August...hopper season will commence....and I will have the flyrod ready and fishing will be better for pics. Will have the GoPro by then!

Last edited by bigbog; Jun 28, 2017 at 9:45 AM.
    SteveD

Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    +1

The big brookies you can catch up in Quebec (5 lbs+) are particularly impressive:

Attachment 22660
    Fish Vermont posted a picture of one a guy caught up in the Northern part of the state this week. 22 inches, 4# 6oz

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

Items for Sale
    What a monster..... Trout that size should definitely be released....
    SteveD

Quote Originally Posted by bigbog View Post
    What a monster..... Trout that size should definitely be released....
    Apparently that one was not! Probably do eating though!

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

That's a nice brookie!

DHS, I could go look but do you recall if they mentioned where that fish was caught? Not exact location, just whether it was in a lake or a river.

That fish looks like it was caught in a lake.

Fish Vermont didn't reveal any information other than it was caught in the NEK. Lengthy comment section on the post. Many people arguing it's a "Splake" trout, which I understand is a hybrid between Brook and Lake trout. Most people in the conversation are of the belief it's a pure Brookie because the tail isn't forked enough to be a Splake.

Quite the catch.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    Fish Vermont didn't reveal any information other than it was caught in the NEK. Lengthy comment section on the post. Many people arguing it's a "Splake" trout, which I understand is a hybrid between Brook and Lake trout. Most people in the conversation are of the belief it's a pure Brookie because the tail isn't forked enough to be a Splake.

Quite the catch.
    Yes the brookie of a lifetime!

Both lakers and brookies are members of the char family and hybrids do occur. But the tail of that brook trout is not forked at all and I doubt that is a hybrid. Generally speaking any trout in a river system is more brightly colored than those from lakes, mostly due to their diet. Brown trout look much less colorful caught in a lake or reservoir compared to river browns and it is the same with brook trout.

The brookies we catch here in my area are a different species than those further north. They have much shorter life spans; with fish, the longer you can live the bigger you get.

Good smallmouth fishing last Sunday at the East Branch:
    sm.jpg
    Yesterday even better for both small and largemouth bass at Rye Lake:
    lg.jpg
    I have a fishing trip scheme rolling around in my head.

I got in a bit over an hour of shore fishing on the Merrimack today, only my second time out. Smallmouth were hitting early and often, but all were small, at barely a pound and smaller. Good fun. When the river goes down just a bit more the deep holes will be more accessible from shore. Ended up with somewhere around 15 fish, none worthy of a picture, and all safely released.

Sent from my LGMS345 using AlpineZone mobile app

I've noticed a lot of small fish also; my last trip out on July 4th I had to wait until sunset to find bigger fish:
    small.jpg
    Before then it was impossible to get my plastic worm past the gauntlet of small fish to get to the bigger ones. In places the water was boiling with little bass.

Thread Information