Fishing 2017

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fishing 2017

Fishing 2017

Welcome to fishing 2017!
    Fish4.jpg
    As usual my attempts to fly fish were thwarted by high flow rates and wind. Sometimes I wonder why I even try with the fly rod other than that I want to get better at it. When I wasn't almost getting knocked off my feet by the high water I was busy pulling my lures out of the trees that the wind blew them into. Oh well, I think it's good to keep trying to improve a skill that I am obviously still deficient at. Maybe I'll try telemarking this coming winter.
    Anyway, we hit the reservoirs early this year on 4/29. Pic above is from the East Branch of the Croton river upstream from where it enters into Sodom reservoir. Captain Steve did a good job rowing us into position to catch many small trout and even a few small bass. Once we got into the reservoir proper we caught a few good sized bass. My buddy Rich caught the fish of the day, a very nice smallmouth:
    Fish3.jpg
    Two weeks later, Steve and I fished at Rye Lake and had great early season bass action. Steve tied a crayfish imitation on and caught 5 nice smallmouths all about the same size as this one:
    Fish2.jpg
    I wanted to use a crawdad imitation too but have learned it is usually better to choose another pattern, so I was using a yellow perch imitation that I have had good largemouth luck with. Worked like a charm and I landed a half dozen nice largemouths and the fish of the day:
    Fish1.jpg
    I was amazed to land so many largemouths as the weather was chilly. Great day.
    Heading out again this coming Sunday with my buddy Mike.

Nice, I accidentally came across a high water tecnique for catching trout a couple years ago when I was out with one of my kids. Fish the 2' next to the stream bank , they hang close to the bank when the water is high and cloudy.

This sums up why I keep trying to improve as a fly fisherman:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/good-n...cid=spartandhp

As frustrating as it can get sometimes it is always enjoyable.

Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by Siliconebobsquarepants View Post
    Nice, I accidentally came across a high water tecnique for catching trout a couple years ago when I was out with one of my kids. Fish the 2' next to the stream bank , they hang close to the bank when the water is high and cloudy.
    Yeah SBSP, those undercut banks and pockets are nice all right, the banks slow the current a bit and offering trout some cover from predators. In summer's heat I can't count the number of times, back in the day, when I would walk right up to the edge...and scare more than a few nice Battenkill browns that were just sitting there..in the shade, waiting for beetles to fall in. Incredible how some events just get burned into memory on spring & summer days..
    At present my one vehicle is my Honda Accord but am renting a 4wd for a few days this Memorial Day weekend. Will get up into my woodland stomping grounds with the camera for the 1st time this spring. Will wet a line in a number of streams/brooks I know and will get some pics.
    Last edited by bigbog; May 26, 2017 at 10:49 PM.
    SteveD

Ya the only way I know to catch fish in high water in the spring with a fly rod is weighted streamers like the Gray Ghost fished into deep undercuts along the banks. My trouble with that is I may as well spincast with bait or a worm. The beauty and skill of fly fishing is identifying and mimicking hatches with a dry fly. There are easier ways to catch big trout.

This past Friday Steve and I decided the weather was not great for bass but good for lake trout so we got our fish finder out and set off looking for deep water. As soon as the sun set we hooked or caught 1 or 2 lakers at every spot over 100' we found. 1/2 ounce Kastmasters jigged just off the bottom with a slow drift killed it. Most were 5-6 lbs. (the ones we landed), 2 were pretty big (both lost near the boat). One was a solid 15 lbs.

We were so stunned that our strategy worked so well (God bless the fish finder) we took no pictures. Sorry.

Items for Sale
    A few culvert washouts on planned routes the previous wkend when without 4wd...but had 4wd this last wkend with the culverts repaired...finally my 1st wkend of driving a truck(4dr cab), ala 2015+ models...but only with highway_AT tires = still a very nice ride! ..But of course, would've been terrific if mine to put on offroad tires, but much beefier suspension than some SUV for up here in the woods. Definitely my next 4wd vehicle type.
    Didn't get the camera up and ready to shoot in time to capture more moose, many deer and a few yearling bear. A couple young adult moose willing to pose for me...on and along side a main woodland road(Golden Rd), west of Seboomook Lake's western end..along the N.Br. Penobscot.
    Just fished for a little while(~3hrs) over the weekend, catching a few brookies, ~10" & 12", amongst swatting away the blackflies, with my other hand, one evening, however they're not bad for 95% of daylight hours...away from brooks/streams/rivers.
    *Saturday ended clear and cool, however with the warmer air just coming thru on Sunday morning....the wind blew like it does during the loud thunderstorms the area often gets...~50mph+.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bigbog; Jun 14, 2017 at 8:42 AM.
    SteveD

Been a few weeks...

After a good run lake trout hunting the bass action turned on big time about 2 weeks ago. Catching 10 lbs+ lakers is nice but I still prefer the spirited fight of a nice smallmouth bass. They aren't as big but fight much better than lake trout which tend to fight like a big old shoe; like reeling in dead weight.

2 weeks ago Steve and I had a good smallmouth day catching many nice ones like this:

bass17.jpg

Last Friday was even better; it rained on and off and the bass action was ridiculous. Heavy rain forced us to shelter for about a half hour and we got a little wet but we caught a lot of fish. Several double headers too, always an indicator of good fishing action. The rain killed any photo ops.

Home today even though I would have loved to fish; had 3 wisdom teeth yanked out yesterday. Sorry Dr. Jeff, I hate going to the dentist! Heading out again Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbog View Post
    A few culvert washouts on planned routes the previous wkend when without 4wd...but had 4wd this last wkend with the culverts repaired...finally my 1st wkend of driving a truck(4dr cab), ala 2015+ models...but only with highway_AT tires = still a very nice ride! ..But of course, would've been terrific if mine to put on offroad tires, but much beefier suspension than some SUV for up here in the woods. Definitely my next 4wd vehicle type.
    Didn't get the camera up and ready to shoot in time to capture more moose, many deer and a few yearling bear. A couple young adult moose willing to pose for me...on and along side a main woodland road(Golden Rd), west of Seboomook Lake's western end..along the N.Br. Penobscot.
    Just fished for a little while(~3hrs) over the weekend, catching a few brookies, ~10" & 12", amongst swatting away the blackflies, with my other hand, one evening, however they're not bad for 95% of daylight hours...away from brooks/streams/rivers.
    *Saturday ended clear and cool, however with the warmer air just coming thru on Sunday morning....the wind blew like it does during the loud thunderstorms the area often gets...~50mph+.
    Post some Brookie pictures ....IMO there the nicest looking fish Salt or Fresh

Brookies are great for pan frying too!

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

+1

The big brookies you can catch up in Quebec (5 lbs+) are particularly impressive:

Brookie.jpg
    Last edited by JimG.; Jun 24, 2017 at 9:05 PM.

Thread Information