• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

West Skiing TRs

How should we handle non-Northeast TRs?

• Leave them in the Northeast Skiing and Snowboarding Trip Reports forum

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • Move them to the general Northeast Skiing and Snowboarding Forum

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Move them to the Miscellaneous Discussion forum

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Create a sub-forum for non-NE TRs in the TR forum

Votes: 20 64.5%

• Total voters

Greg

Staff member
We've noticed a few West skiing TRs showing up in the Northeast Skiing and Snowboarding Trip Reports forum. The mods and I have discussed this in the past and are looking for some feedback on how best to handle them. This forum was meant for Northeast TRs, but we don't want to discourage you sharing your TR from other parts of the country/world.

I've included a poll here with a few options. Please vote or provide some other ideas.

Greg

Staff member
My feeling is these TRs should go to the general skiing forum. We've always stated that forum is a skiing foum with a focus on the Northeast. We do discuss other non-NE skiing related items there so I think that's a good place. Miscellaneous is for things non-skiing. I'm reluctant to create another forum which may see only limited use (less is more) and I don't think leaving them in the NE TR forum is the best place for them. Many readers subscribe to that forum via RSS and I think we should keep it NE-specific. That NE focus is what makes this site successful.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
I chose creat sub-forum. I feel that if you put them in a general forum they would get pushed down to the bottom too quickly. I'm considering checking out Jackson Hole or something in Colorado during my upcoming west coast trip and am looking for reports from out west. If these reports were mixed in with general discussion, it would be much more difficult to find.

skibum9995

I vote for creating a sub-forum. I like to browse reports, especially durring summer, and it would be much easier to browse the reports if they are not mixed in with general discussion.

MarkC

I say let them be. They are a valuable resource for northeast sliders that take a trip out west once or twice a year. Please do not over moderate.

MarkC

It's not a matter of overmoderating. Just a bit of organization.

Perhaps over moderate was the wrong set of terms. I do agree that the site needs organization and I think that compared to other sites AZ is very well organized. I just feel that a sub category would bury these reports and require too many clicks to casually read what is happening out west. To take a peek at the trip report page and get a glimpse of what Jackson looked like yesterday is an asset. I would not generally go too far in my internet journey to check the conditions at Jackson but if I see it in passing and a bit of drool runs down my cheek it makes me smile. Just my 2cents.

Greg

Staff member
Perhaps over moderate was the wrong set of terms. I do agree that the site needs organization and I think that compared to other sites AZ is very well organized. I just feel that a sub category would bury these reports and require too many clicks to casually read what is happening out west. To take a peek at the trip report page and get a glimpse of what Jackson looked like yesterday is an asset. I would not generally go too far in my internet journey to check the conditions at Jackson but if I see it in passing and a bit of drool runs down my cheek it makes me smile. Just my 2cents.

Understood. One of the concerns here is the RSS feed that is associated with the TR forum. Folks may have that feed plugged into their reader, or are displaying the TRs on a Website. Non-NE reports in a feed that is supposed to be specific to the NE may discourage use by some. It's looking like the sub-forum is the best compromise.

loafer89

My son and I just skied six different western resorts in the last week and I would like to share our trail reports and pictures in the appropriate area of this board if possible.

BeanoNYC

I picked a separate forum for the TR's. I login often and have the new posts link bookmarked so it's easy for me to keep up on things. That being said for someone who logs in less often will have problems sifting through West reports in the NE forum. I love reading West reports and find them valuable and fun content for this site. I think that a separate forum would both encourage others to add this content and organize it better.

kcyanks1

I voted for a sub-forum, only because sanctioning the non-NE trip reports will probably lead to more of them, in which case I think a sub-forum will be necessary. As it is now, I think there are so few non-NE trip reports that they are best left where they are, because others I (and I'd assume others, but I can only speak for myself) will probably be less likely to bother checking the non-NE forum. But as people start posting more and more of them, it would make sense to have a separate place.

ctenidae

Leave them be. They never hurt you or anyone else. Why must we always change things?

Seriously, though, is anyone upset when they get an RSS thingy and it's not a NE report? I'm more likely to read a non-NE one, anyway, unless I'm looking for a recent report on a specific area.

BeanoNYC

Good stuff, Greg. I can't believe the content in there already! It's good to see west TR's from and ECoaster's perspective.