• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Thermals? Inner wear?

kiliman

Hi all,

I’m taking my young son skiing for the first time soon and as it’s been a few years since I’ve been on the slopes myself, I’m guessing there has been a lot of technological advances in clothing and fabrics.

So far, I’ve managed to find him a half-decent ski suit online (https://www.easyprices.com/fashion/ski-jumpsuit-cheap) and I’m now looking at what’s best in terms of socks and inner wear.

Can anyone recommend any brands, or specific materials I should be considering? He’s never seen snow before and doesn’t exactly appreciate what ‘cold’ really means, so I just want to make things as comfortable for him as I possibly can.

Any thoughts or advice on this would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

dlague

What is most important is layers. If you do not have enough then the cold can bite. If you have too much then layers can be taken off. Any performance base layers will probably cost more than the kids jump suit if that is what you are getting. There is not a whole lot of performance wear for kids. But a base layer that is designed to wick moisture is a good start after that our kids have always worn a sweat shirt (non cotton). More importantly - good mittens or gloves. People skimp in this area - they do not need to be expensive just well insulated with a good cuff. On the head there are beanies that fit under a helmet which our boys still use to this day and they are adults now. Smartwool or Darn Tough make great socks,

drjeff

Under armour cold gear turtlenecks and tights - comes in kids sizes, lots of colors. Usually some available via their website in the clearance section as well as the main section. Wicks well, provides a nice base warmth layer, easy to clean and maintain and durable as well

kiliman

Thanks guys, that's just the kind of advice I was looking for. I hadn't actually put much thought into gloves, thanks for that.

Point taken on the quality of the base layer, I'll make that a priority, and will check out the under armour cold gear.

Very much appreciated, thanks.