Summer 2017 Resort Upgrades - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 208
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by tumbler View Post
    Not really construction but an improvement. Sugarbush rebranded Timbers to Rumble's Kitchen, with new menu, manager and vibe. I hope it is good, I would much rather be in there than the Pub. Fingers crossed!
    I think most importantly it will reset the Yelp review. The place has 3 stars which meanwhile all the other restaurants in the valley have 4-5.


  2. #22
    thetrailboss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    NEK by Birth; Alta/Snowbird by Choice
    Posts
    26,273
    Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by tumbler View Post
    I forgot about the tram thing to Baldy- is it designed so you ski just Alta side or can you drop into Snowbird? I might have the geogaphy off.

    I was wondering if the locals would be pissed about more traffic in Supreme but if the lift was having issues then it sounds like a good idea. It ran fine when I was there and I really liked the terrain up there. Makes more sense layout wise without Cecret.
    So the proposal was an 8-10 person tram, similar to Snowbasin's, that would leave from the top of Collins and end on the summit of Baldy. From there it is really easy to ski right down into Snowbird. In fact, you can do it with no cliffs. For me, an Alta-Bird Passholder, that would be cool. But I do enjoy hiking up there as it is.

    Supreme: I think that it was a "poor man's express lift" that was upgraded right around the time that they did Sugarloaf and Collins. I will miss Cecret, but that lift was WAY underused. Supreme, IMHO, worked just fine. That said, it was a Frankenlift with multiple parts including Yan towers and terminals and I bet it was getting aged.
    Live, Ski, or Die!


  3. #23
    thetrailboss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    NEK by Birth; Alta/Snowbird by Choice
    Posts
    26,273
    Items for Sale
    Here is where Alta has posted their plans: http://www.alta.com/the-mountain/future-plans

    Here is their NFS notice: http://a123.g.akamai.net/7/123/11558...T3_3033529.pdf
    Live, Ski, or Die!


  4. #24
    machski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Northwood, NH (Sunday River, ME)
    Posts
    762
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckstah View Post
    The Boyne rumor from this spring said no capital improvement money, zero, available this summer outside of the announced projects at SR. Expect a big announcement at some point for spring of 2018 when the new lease holder will pony up some cash. Word is gondola replacement at Loon, and maybe the new pulse gondy will finally go in at South Peak. Have not heard any Loaf news yet. Only a rumor but from someone in the know.

    Sent from my LGMS345 using AlpineZone mobile app
    Correct, SR's Spruce replacement was carved and scraped together $$ wise last fall. Anticipate a courtship period with O-Z before you see any capital investment. My source close suggested two more years of waiting before you see any capital moving at Boyne east resorts. That could obviously change in any direction.

    As to Loon, I very much doubt a Gondi replacement first. They have a severe need to put in the learner's pod on South first and foremost. Not only is it for that, that is to become the public Access point at South. The pulse gondola is not being installed by Loon, rather by the Loon Riverwalk development as I understand it. I do not believe the public will have access to it, it will be for Riverwalk owners/guests to get across the river. But it won't go in until the learner pod does as it terminates at the new base of south (this relying on the new learner quads for full uphill access).

    Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy80 View Post
    Wow, it sounds like Loon is getting some love. Twenty years ago who would have thought that Loon Mountain would overtake Sugarloaf as the superior resort.
    Just wait until the Flume/Lincoln/Lafayette across the road expansion.
    2016/2017: * = powder day
    Berkshire East [January 16, February 10]
    Bolton Valley [January 1, February 5*, February 19]
    Burke [December 17*, January 28*]
    Heavenly [March 5*, March 11]
    Jay Peak [January 29*, April 9]
    Jiminy Peak [November 26]
    Killington [December 4, December 10, April 8*, April 15]
    Kirkwood [March 8]
    Mad River Glen [February 25]
    Magic [February 13*]
    Mt Rose [March 7*]
    Mountain Snow [April 3]
    Northstar [March 10]
    Okemo [November 23]
    Pico [January 7*, February 18, March 19]
    Smuggler’s Notch [January 22]
    Stratton [February 4]
    Stowe [January 21]
    Sugarbush [January 2]
    Telluride [March 27, March 28*]
    Whiteface [February 12]

  6. #26
    Smellytele's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Right where I want to be
    Posts
    5,636
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy80 View Post
    Wow, it sounds like Loon is getting some love. Twenty years ago who would have thought that Loon Mountain would overtake Sugarloaf as the superior resort.
    Still a ways to go before that but they are getting some love. Some love is better than abandonment.
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Smellytele View Post
    Still a ways to go before that but they are getting some love. Some love is better than abandonment.
    Agreed. Superior resort is also relative only to facilities. Unless Loon does a major expansion and develops its own Burnt Mountain equivalent, it will never be superior to the Loaf in that way.

    Even for facilities though, the village at SL is a nice draw. Lift situation and luxury accommodations clearly go to Loon though.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by machski View Post
    Correct, SR's Spruce replacement was carved and scraped together $$ wise last fall. Anticipate a courtship period with O-Z before you see any capital investment. My source close suggested two more years of waiting before you see any capital moving at Boyne east resorts. That could obviously change in any direction.

    As to Loon, I very much doubt a Gondi replacement first. They have a severe need to put in the learner's pod on South first and foremost. Not only is it for that, that is to become the public Access point at South. The pulse gondola is not being installed by Loon, rather by the Loon Riverwalk development as I understand it. I do not believe the public will have access to it, it will be for Riverwalk owners/guests to get across the river. But it won't go in until the learner pod does as it terminates at the new base of south (this relying on the new learner quads for full uphill access).

    Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app
    Good points. Hopefully South Peak gets finished before the need for a gondola replacement, but I'll add a bit more of what I've heard. Again only a rumor at this point but here it is. The gondola is nearing the end of it's useful life and NEEDS to be replaced at the end of next season. It will be 30 years old, with towers from 1966 by next spring. The lift will be scrapped, not sold. I have heard even more details on timeline and estimated cost, but won't elaborate as things can and will change. This could all be wrong, but sources are good. It may come down to a refurb band-aid approach if the funds are not there, but Boyne and accidents on old lifts really doesn't need to make the news. Again.

    Edited to add a link to the S. Peak expansion map. 2 years old at this point
    https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8724/...38c8505d_z.jpg

  9. #29
    Does the gondola see much use during summer? I'm sure many folks would rather see a chair go in instead. If they do need it for scenic rides, maybe copy the Wildcat model?

    Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

  10. #30
    Smellytele's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Right where I want to be
    Posts
    5,636
    Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    Does the gondola see much use during summer? I'm sure many folks would rather see a chair go in instead. If they do need it for scenic rides, maybe copy the Wildcat model?

    Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app
    Their clientele like gondolas.
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 3 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:45 AM.