Summer 2017 Resort Upgrades - Page 4

AlpineZone

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    I think the less into skiing you are the more into gondolas, hence why they are much more popular for summer lifts than winter.

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    Does the gondola see much use during summer? I'm sure many folks would rather see a chair go in instead. If they do need it for scenic rides, maybe copy the Wildcat model?

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app
    Yes, it is in daily operations in the summer and then obviously for peeper season as well.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Hands down, as resorts look to increase their 4 season business, and for many that also includes the lucrative wedding business, having an enclosed lift that can transport a bunch of guests to a mountain top destination for a function in a comfortable, dry manor, regardless of the weather outside is a solid selling point.

Hence why I'm guessing that you'll see more and more "primary" lifts either being bubbles or a gondola/chondola type setup at resorts where they're looking to expand their 4 season business and it's time for either a primary lift upgrade or new installation of a lift that runs from a base area up to an area where there's a lodge in the immediate unloading area over the next decade. We also have to remember than many of the primary lifts in New England are 20+ years old now, so replacement time, and the potential that that can bring, I'm sure is on the minds of many a resort owner and GM these days....
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days '07-'17 seasons: 515 Days

I'd be curious what the cost difference is between a setup like Wildcat's with a HSQ and summer Gondi cabins and just a standard Gondola.

Wildcats setup really is ideal. Correct me if I'm wrong, but a HSQ has roughly the same uphill capacity as an 8 person gondola at 2400 people per hour. At least that's what I read the capacity is for Stowes gondola. I'm guessing the effective capacity is better for a HSQ as typically fewer empty seats go up. Then you also need to factor in that a chair runs better in high winds.

Unless Loon feels like there is an opportunity to bring in after hours revenue at the small summit lodge, I would think either doing what Wildcat has done or installing a Chondola is the better choice than just a standard Gondola.

Items for Sale
    I'd be curious what the cost difference is between a setup like Wildcat's with a HSQ and summer Gondi cabins and just a standard Gondola.

Wildcats setup really is ideal. Correct me if I'm wrong, but a HSQ has roughly the same uphill capacity as an 8 person gondola at 2400 people per hour. At least that's what I read the capacity is for Stowes gondola. I'm guessing the effective capacity is better for a HSQ as typically fewer empty seats go up. Then you also need to factor in that a chair runs better in high winds.

Unless Loon feels like there is an opportunity to bring in after hours revenue at the small summit lodge, I would think either doing what Wildcat has done or installing a Chondola is the better choice than just a standard Gondola.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but the Gondola cabs were bought second-hand, yes?
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by benski View Post
    I think the less into skiing you are the more into gondolas, hence why they are much more popular for summer lifts than winter.
    Exactly. Non-skiers just do not have any experience, or comfort, with chairlifts.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    Hands down, as resorts look to increase their 4 season business, and for many that also includes the lucrative wedding business, having an enclosed lift that can transport a bunch of guests to a mountain top destination for a function in a comfortable, dry manor, regardless of the weather outside is a solid selling point.

Hence why I'm guessing that you'll see more and more "primary" lifts either being bubbles or a gondola/chondola type setup at resorts where they're looking to expand their 4 season business and it's time for either a primary lift upgrade or new installation of a lift that runs from a base area up to an area where there's a lodge in the immediate unloading area over the next decade. We also have to remember than many of the primary lifts in New England are 20+ years old now, so replacement time, and the potential that that can bring, I'm sure is on the minds of many a resort owner and GM these days....
    With concern with the bubbles - they are good on cold windy days but they are like being in a room with a bad view. Seeing out of them is never very good and are either blue or orange in the north east, distorting your view.
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days

Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post
    Someone correct me if I am wrong, but the Gondola cabs were bought second-hand, yes?
    I know the cabins were purchased after the initial HSQ was installed, but I do not know if they were used or not.

I think the rationale for including one or several gondolas at a resort is increasing for four-season use as many have mentioned. I think they also serve other important functions: i) every resort should have a flagship lift for the purposes of marketing/branding, ii) cold and wet weather is a deterrent for both occasional and frequent skiers, iii) face-to-face 8-person seating makes skiing a more social sport, iv) non-skiers in the summer or beginning skiers in the winter may feel safer in an enclosed cabin, iv) enclosed cabins facilitate additional amenities such as heaters or audio systems (ski resorts need to innovate to grow), and v) provide mid-mountain or summit access to other revenue generating facilities that may appeal to skiers and non-skiers alike. Ski resorts have always been capital-intensive recreational facilities appealing primarily to those with disposable income. With the consolidation of ski resorts and introduction of professional management at smaller, local ski resorts, the stakes have been raised. Corporations like Vail Resorts, Powdr Corp, Boyne, etc, have access to cheap capital. As more east coast resorts fall under their purview, it will be interesting to see which east coast resorts are recipients of this capital, because in the long-run, it will determine which resorts thrive and which become "also-ran" resorts. The stark contrast between the development of Stratton and Magic Mountain comes to mind. Invest, innovate, and pray for snow.

Are chondolas cheaper than a gondola? I agree with you that the Wildcat setup is the best, the chairs and gondolas also will both last longer.

I do not see Loon ever installing a chairlift to replace their gondola though. Like others have said, Loon is known for their gondola and I think many people ski Loon over surrounding areas in part for their gondola.

Thread Information