Summer 2017 Resort Upgrades - Page 5

AlpineZone

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by Jully View Post
    I know the cabins were purchased after the initial HSQ was installed, but I do not know if they were used or not.
    I recall them coming from Whistler or something like that.

Live, Ski, or Die!

No information on New England ski History about where the gondola cars came from. If they were bought used from somewhere I would think maybe an amusement park. They are made of aluminum and very flimsy. I couldn't see them being used in a harsh, winter, alpine environment

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    No information on New England ski History about where the gondola cars came from. If they were bought used from somewhere I would think maybe an amusement park. They are made of aluminum and very flimsy. I couldn't see them being used in a harsh, winter, alpine environment

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app
    Chairlift.org has them coming from a scenic gondola in Banff, Alberta. http://www.chairlift.org/wc.html
    Ski season is always too short

Maybe its me but I avoid Gondis and trams like the plague.I've probably skied Loon 20 times and only rode the gogo twice.Then again,I've almost always been there in late spring and who the heck wants to sit inside facing a couple turds on a sunny day?
    SIKSKIER

Someone mentioned heated gondi cabins and K's used to be at one time I believe and it was awful. Too warm for how skiers are dressed.
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days

Quote Originally Posted by SIKSKIER View Post
    Maybe its me but I avoid Gondis and trams like the plague.I've probably skied Loon 20 times and only rode the gogo twice.Then again,I've almost always been there in late spring and who the heck wants to sit inside facing a couple turds on a sunny day?
    I generally avoid them as well. Often they have longer wait times and you can get to the areas they serve in other ways. I make an exception for night skiing in frigid temps - for example on cold nights at Sunday river riding the gondola is perfect with a few friends.

Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by eastern powder baby View Post
    Chairlift.org has them coming from a scenic gondola in Banff, Alberta. http://www.chairlift.org/wc.html
    I was close.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by Smellytele View Post
    Someone mentioned heated gondi cabins and K's used to be at one time I believe and it was awful. Too warm for how skiers are dressed.
    Killington should replace the sky ship gondola with a chairlift.

That would be silly, even disregarding all other high priority lift needs. Chairlifts are optimized for uphill downhill capacity ratio. Gondolas are optimized for getting people from point A to point B and largely staying there. The Skyeship is a perfect fit where it is. There is only one run to the base consistently open.
    Last edited by Newpylong; Jun 7, 2017 at 5:43 PM.

I bet when the time comes to upgrade the Gondola at Loon that they basically refurbish it instead of replace it. This would mainly be the replacement of all grips, sheaves, and replace the chain cadence system with tires. This has been done recently at Northstar and is taking place this summer at Steamboat. Boyne seems to be as cheap as possible when it comes to lifts these days so this would be the cheapest option to get another 20 years out of the gondola. The cabins unfortunately would probably remain as small as they are. The towers I have no idea if they need replacing or not considering most are 50 years old.

I wish they would replace it with a 8 passenger gondola to help with the lines. The current 4 passenger cabins make the loon gondola one of the lowest capacity lifts in New England, save for maybe the single at MRG. I do not see it ever getting replaced with a chair as the base of the lift in its big barn really cannot be moved. There is no runout coming into the Octagon base, so there is no place to move the base of the lift out of the barn. The barn really cannot be removed as it is a section of the base lodge. I guess theoretically they could put a chair coming out of the barn, but it would be weird and require lots of snow moving constantly.

Loon as it is though has a lot of possible additions and improvements outside of the gondola, its just a shame Boyne does not invest any more money besides snowmaking. The new beginner area at South Peak is needed and is already approved for construction for a couple years now. The current beginner area is rather lacking. This would add another proper base lodge as the Pemi base is still just a tent 10 years after South Peak opened. Originally hotel or condo lodging was supposed to be built at the location of the Pemi base, but that obviously has not been built. Also there is still just a tent for overflow seating at the Governors base that has been there for 10 years. It would be nice if they built a proper addition onto the Governors lodge to get rid of the tent.

So while Sugarloaf might look neglected in comparison, there is still a lot of things Boyne should do at Loon if the would invest more capital.

Thread Information