• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Summer 2017 Resort Upgrades

dlague

The only place I saw Vail using the hand scanners was at the base lifts, presumably because that's where you're going to catch people for theft of services.

That is true but higher elevation lifts have RFID scanners that scan you as you pass by. but are not hand held - look like two large black boxes.

The hand helds have your picture and other relevant info. At Breckenridge, I was asked questions, on two separate occasions, as I passed through when being scanned like my name and where I was from. I think they spot check that way.

mikec142

I've only had experience at Okemo and Stowe. No picture either time, though the Stowe tickets were through a ski club. Okemo we walked up and bought. I find it hard to believe they would do pics for a day pass, but I could see them doing so for a multi day ticket.

Just peeked thru my RFID cards...Stowe, Okemo, and Blue don't require pictures even when I've bought a multi-day ticket. Jackson Hole and Squaw/Alpine include your picture on the card (both trips included multi-day tickets). Really super convenient for re-buying tickets and kids buying food.

Smellytele

Not sure if this has been addressed in 13 pages of this thread, but the River is adding a condo just off Dream maker, which is accessed just before the North Peak Condos on the road to North Peak.

I also hear that they are adding a poma or t-bar on Monday Mourning for use by the race clubs, which will block over easy which crosses it, so they are cutting in a new "easy" way down from the Tempest lift (lift 9).

This all on top of the new spruce lift.

Is a condo really a ski area upgrade?

Jully

Not sure if this has been addressed in 13 pages of this thread, but the River is adding a condo just off Dream maker, which is accessed just before the North Peak Condos on the road to North Peak.

I also hear that they are adding a poma or t-bar on Monday Mourning for use by the race clubs, which will block over easy which crosses it, so they are cutting in a new "easy" way down from the Tempest lift (lift 9).

This all on top of the new spruce lift.

Is the new easy trail and t-bar happening this year? I hadn't heard much about it of late, so I assumed it was next year.

machski

Is the new easy trail and t-bar happening this year? I hadn't heard much about it of late, so I assumed it was next year.
Ditto, as well, I would think they would extend the race area snowmaking line uphill to the top of MM to ensure they get snow onto the T-Bar line. I'm headed up I. A few weekends for Tough Mountain, I'll check it out.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Jully

Rumor has it that the poma and the new trail are this year. If you think about it, putting the poma will lower their trail count by one. Can't have that!!! And really, there are a good many skiers who need an easy way down from the top of the tempest lift.

Easy way down is definitely needed haha. It would severely hurt their grand summit hotel if not.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Ski Southington says new snowmkaing pipes.

Woodbury seems to be on its last leg. They didn't open for winter last season, and their website says they're not doing any summer activities this year, but that they'll be back open next winter :dontknow:

Smellytele

Woodbury seems to be on its last leg. They didn't open for winter last season, and their website says they're not doing any summer activities this year, but that they'll be back open next winter :dontknow:

Maybe trying to be the first open in the east over the last few years is killing them.

machski

Rumor has it that the poma and the new trail are this year. If you think about it, putting the poma will lower their trail count by one. Can't have that!!! And really, there are a good many skiers who need an easy way down from the top of the tempest lift.
Latest Intel I have is that Gould is still moving forward on the T-Bar but a contract has yet to be signed with a lift manufacturer. Probably pushes the project to next year, but being a surface lift, could still conceivably happen this year if a contract is signed in the next several weeks.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Jiminy Peak- new 4.5 million gallon snowmaking reservoir.

Some random guy on the FB page claims it's "Basically a couple of extra days of continuous water pumping ability given the IMPRESSIVE pumping capability of the snowmaking system"...but who knows how much they really know about snowmaking... :wink:

Newpylong

That is a fairly small pond. Less than 24 hrs assuming status quo from the last I checked in with my contacts there re: pump capacity.

drjeff

Jiminy Peak- new 4.5 million gallon snowmaking reservoir.

Some random guy on the FB page claims it's "Basically a couple of extra days of continuous water pumping ability given the IMPRESSIVE pumping capability of the snowmaking system"...but who knows how much they really know about snowmaking... :wink:

:beer::fangun::fangun::fangun::fangun::dontknow:

deadheadskier

Staff member
This is kind of interesting. I had no idea that the state owned the base lodge at Smuggler's Notch. Hopefully the ownership transfer goes through and Smuggs can improve that facility. There are some older ski lodges I wish to see preserved in time. Smuggs would not be one of them. Nice views from the windows, but other than that, meh. Pretty small for the crowds they get on the weekends.

http://www.stowetoday.com/stowe_rep...cle_a927e460-72f2-11e7-b77f-ff75f156fe84.html

spiderpig

Pictures show up on the tablets they hold at the lifts at Okemo. There are cameras set up for when you pass through the gate.

That is why Vail resorts use hand held scanners - your picture shows up on the scanner.

I know people that have shared passes where they were scanned with barcode readers and lifties did not notice or really care.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

machski

Ah yes, this reminds me, I saw on the web that the River is adding snowmaking somewhere, thougth they did not reveal where. They already cover 98% of the mountain....
That would be the new Bear something trail between Cascades and Wildfire likely. I hear the trail is mostly cut, waiting on de stumping and smoothing. Pipe has already been run.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Seems like T-Bars are all the rage. Back to the future I guess.

2016: New Mittersill T-Bar
2017: New Burke T-Bar
2018 (?): Sunday River