• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Summer 2017 Resort Upgrades

mbedle

Seems like T-Bars are all the rage. Back to the future I guess.

2016: New Mittersill T-Bar
2017: New Burke T-Bar
2018 (?): Sunday River

I remember reading somewhere that the increase capacity of the modern t-bars are partly the reason for their return. Also, they are not as influenced by winds. Add to the list Waterville Valley, they are replacing the upper lift with a t-bar. Actually, it might have been an article about Waterville Valley and their expansion work.

machski

The word on the T-bar and new trail at the River, as best as I can recall, is that the T-bar was going to serve the race arena, and in doing so would block Over easy, which would be closed off. The River simply didn't want to lose a trail in the trail count, and an easy way needed to be provided for the those coming up the White Cap Quad (Tempest) from the condos.
More important to the mountain is the easy link for the grand summit.

Waterville's T-Bar is proposed, they need Forrest service approval as they are proposing a new alignment off to Lookers right of the upper trails and a top termination point within 40 feet of the AT.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Newpylong

More important to the mountain is the easy link for the grand summit.

Waterville's T-Bar is proposed, they need Forrest service approval as they are proposing a new alignment off to Lookers right of the upper trails and a top termination point within 40 feet of the AT.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Seems like T-Bars are all the rage. Back to the future I guess.

2016: New Mittersill T-Bar
2017: New Burke T-Bar
2018 (?): Sunday River

2017 Whaleback

deadheadskier

Staff member
Mostly for racers

agreed

Bretton Woods install 5 or so years ago would be one that isn't geared towards racers. I haven't skied the terrain it services. My experience with BW is limited to early and late season. I imagine the terrain that T-Bar services is pretty tame, however the concept is more in line with what I want to see surface lifts installed for in New England. New natural snow terrain at the outer fringes of a ski area. One in Bracket Basin at Sugarloaf would be amazing. I'm thinking a simple line down low that would bring you up to a traverse back to King Pine. That's the only thing that sucks about Bracket. Tracking left back to King Pine is always on your mind. Having a T-Bar down low so you can continue straight down the fall line or venture skiers right without worry would really make that experience shine.

tnt1234

Belleayre says the new gondola will be on line Dec. 2017...

gnardawg

Mt. Stickney terrain is not tame. While the vertical is very big in the area the tree skiing is very good, some what steep, tight lines. If the TBar is open at BW then I will stay there all day. Additionally the same can be said for the Rosebrook Glade area however to access it it's pretty annoying have to lap back down the main lifts.

agreed

Bretton Woods install 5 or so years ago would be one that isn't geared towards racers. I haven't skied the terrain it services. My experience with BW is limited to early and late season. I imagine the terrain that T-Bar services is pretty tame, however the concept is more in line with what I want to see surface lifts installed for in New England. New natural snow terrain at the outer fringes of a ski area. One in Bracket Basin at Sugarloaf would be amazing. I'm thinking a simple line down low that would bring you up to a traverse back to King Pine. That's the only thing that sucks about Bracket. Tracking left back to King Pine is always on your mind. Having a T-Bar down low so you can continue straight down the fall line or venture skiers right without worry would really make that experience shine.

xwhaler

Mt. Stickney terrain is not tame. While the vertical is very big in the area the tree skiing is very good, some what steep, tight lines. If the TBar is open at BW then I will stay there all day. Additionally the same can be said for the Rosebrook Glade area however to access it it's pretty annoying have to lap back down the main lifts.
I need to make it there sometime on a powder day to hit the t bar woods. Heard nothing but great things

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

slatham

Saw a pic on Plattekill FB page of new snowmaking pipe being installed on Shredded Mozzarella.

Vaughn

Tenney?

I haven't seen any news from or about Tenney. I believe their crook former partner is out of the picture - anyone know if any progress is being made up there?

Mapnut

West Mountain, NY is widening and restoring a seldom-open expert trail, The Cure. Lots of photos on Facebook.

Newpylong

Well some of their blues could be greens

Trail ratings are relative. There is a huge step up between Long John and the blues off the summit on the front.

Also, it isn't just a beginner trail - it is the main conduit off the top over to Ridge, the Sundance trails, and Carinthia.

I think the mountain knows their needs best.