• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Summer 2017 Resort Upgrades

Bosco DaSkia

Vail does not own or operate A-Basin....

Never said they did, so just cool yer jets there hotrod..... You might also notice that I never said that they own Killington either.

Perhaps your not familiar with the concept of compare and contrast thesis statement. Any compare and contrast essay compares two things, ideas, or people for the purpose of arriving at a conclusion. The thesis statement for this type of essay is the sentence in the introduction that relays to readers the results of the comparison and what to expect from the essay that follows.

And now you know, esé - :spin:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Parking lot.

http://www.stowetoday.com/stowe-mou...age_26b2d67a-a484-11e7-a04f-530e3e3cfb21.html

View attachment 22750

It is going to make getting to the gondi on skis a bit more of a pain in the butt than it already is. This is the lot every early bird will be racing for. Just a few steps from car to both the lift and the Midway Bar & BBQ.

Well the three lots that are already there are already prime real estate for early bird folks and tailgating, so that won't be much of a change. I agree, getting to the Gondi from midway will be a bit more of a pain. It appears that it will be quite the tight squeeze on skiers right of the trail for folks to get by and stack up for the Gondola line.

Overall the parking lot isn't ideal, but they had to add spaces somewhere and my understanding is this lot won't be near enough to solve their issues on busy weekends. The resort will still have hundreds of fewer parking spots than back in the day of the public lots over at Spruce.

jimmywilson69

The easy fix to the parking issue at Stowe is to add a second tier to the Mansfield lot. The lot is already mostly paved, they could even do it in increments. Permitting should be rather easy because you wouldn't be adding any impervious surface.

Yeah parking on the lower level would suck for tailgating, but from a logistical and cost perspective its really the only way for them to expand parking.

I see this as completely inevitable at Stowe.

deadheadskier

Staff member
That does make sense. I just see a lot of local opposition to a "parking garage." People don't view parking garages as something that fits with the "quaint Vermont" image.

jimmywilson69

yeah I know... But It could be built in a manner that doesn't make it look much different than it does now. If they wanted to they could lower the grad of the lot (bottom level of the "garage" on the lodge side of things and make the top deck around the same elevation as the ticket window.

I'm sure people in Town will loose their shit, but there are already parking issues, and it is not going to get any better with the epic pass.

mbedle

Actually, with the retaining wall and guard rails around the lower part of the new lots, getting from all of these lots to the gondola is going to be interesting. From Midway to the gondola is going to require walking up hill through the flag poles, to get around the new lots.

jimmywilson69

It looks to me as though you will go through where the old park was. They haven't had a park there in a few years anyways. If you are carrying enough speed, and most do this shouldn't be a problem.

snoseek

Never said they did, so just cool yer jets there hotrod..... You might also notice that I never said that they own Killington either.

Perhaps your not familiar with the concept of compare and contrast thesis statement. Any compare and contrast essay compares two things, ideas, or people for the purpose of arriving at a conclusion. The thesis statement for this type of essay is the sentence in the introduction that relays to readers the results of the comparison and what to expect from the essay that follows.

And now you know, esé - :spin:

I read "they" in your post as Vail and not Abasin.

Thanks for the English lesson though

slatham

The easy fix to the parking issue at Stowe is to add a second tier to the Mansfield lot. The lot is already mostly paved, they could even do it in increments. Permitting should be rather easy because you wouldn't be adding any impervious surface.

Yeah parking on the lower level would suck for tailgating, but from a logistical and cost perspective its really the only way for them to expand parking.

I see this as completely inevitable at Stowe.

This exactly what I told my Stowe friends as we were tailgating this past March and the discussion turned to the parking issue. The nice side benefit would be a connection from the top floor to the Quad with a walkway. No more hiking the hill. In my mind better than clearing a new lot by the Gondi, and another one down by Toll House!

I agree that some will say a parking garage is not quaint Stowe or VT. I would counter that neither is the "one-percenter" monstrosity across the street (ok, its actually not THAT bad to look at but it certainly is not VT quaint....)

mbedle

It looks to me as though you will go through where the old park was. They haven't had a park there in a few years anyways. If you are carrying enough speed, and most do this shouldn't be a problem.

You are right about that. On a powder day it can be difficult to get up that slope to head down where the park use to be. On a busy day, if you get a lot of people in that area between the plastic wall and the woods, if gets even harder.

One thing I found interesting is that Spruce Peak only had 250 spaces that were lost during the development (pretty sure that number doesn't include all of the parking that took place along the road). At least they are getting close to what they lost back in 2014.

mbedle

Just read an article with a couple of things Vail may do to improve the parking issue: 1) increase staff to help people park more efficiently (good idea), 2) increase offsite snow disposal to limit the loss of parking after big storms (good idea), 3) rope off sections close to the lifts and limit parking to cars with 3 or more passenger (REALLY BAD IDEA....).

An above grade parking lot would never be approved. Don't think it would pass the visual nuisance regs, plus the historical society would have issue with encroaching on the Mansfield Lodge.

thetrailboss

Staff member

I think that helicopter moved from Pats Peak to Sunday River and is now at Burke to do the new T-Bar project.

21686822_10155819204053023_8163560548049291909_o.jpg

cdskier

Here are some pictures of the progress of the upgrades at Mt Ellen from this past Friday.

New snowmaking pipe on Which Way:
DSC_0523.jpg

New Sunny D Quad progress:
DSC_0572.jpg
DSC_0568.jpg
DSC_0582.jpg

Tin Woodsman

Also, the pic makes it look steeper than it is. It's pretty mellow - almost too flat for a good park IMO.

machski

Waterville's High Country T-Bar was approved and they are going to attempt to install for this season.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Just learned Waterville is actually getting High Country Double inspected for this season and plan to run the Double up and until the new T-Bar is in and good to go. Interesting, thought they had had it with that double chair last season. The double is coming down once the T-Bar is up and running though.

Jully

Just learned Waterville is actually getting High Country Double inspected for this season and plan to run the Double up and until the new T-Bar is in and good to go. Interesting, thought they had had it with that double chair last season. The double is coming down once the T-Bar is up and running though.

It would really hurt their early season effort if they didn't have something up there, so that makes sense!