• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ashland, OR

bushpilot

IMG_7462.jpgPlanning on moving the family to Oregon. Most likely will be living in Ashland. I was out there earlier this week and checked out the ski area. Looks promising. Does anyone have any information about the southern Oregon area and the Ashland ski area in particular? Looks like it's only six hours to Tahoe and the local airports have direct flights to SLC and Denver so longer trips to cool destinations should be In the cards.

Last edited:

jimk

I've heard good things about Mt. Ashland terrain. Supposed to have some good trees and decent gnar factor for a smallish place; perhaps the Magic Mtn of OR:) or even approaching MRG. But I think the infrastructure is more like Magic with some aging issues. Never been to Ashland, but heard it has renowned Shakespeare Festival every year. Know folks who have property in Roseburg about 100 miles north and supposedly nice climate most of the year.

machski

Been to Medford several times. A ton of Vineyards there, great Wine tasting in the area. Pretty fun location and IIRC, I believe Mt. Ashland's GM is a SR product. Nice area from what I have heard, has some decent terrain for an area of its size. The only drawback is little to no snowmaking so pray for snow. The dry years two years ago, the never opened.

Sent from my SM-T900 using AlpineZone mobile app

snoseek

It looks like a fantastic place to live at first glance.

MG Skier

I went to Grad school over 3 summers out there! Really enjoyed my time, very cool area. I liked the vibe. The weather in the fall can be tough...damp wet showery etc. SOC now Southern Oregon University had lots of students that skied and occasionally attended class :spread:
There is a great older bar out there called OMARS. Good times!

rtjcbrown

Looks very nice! Google pics remind me a bit of Nelson BC.

What makes you want to leave MRV?

SIKSKIER

FYI.I just was using GE street view to check it out and ended up going up a few trails that were videod from a snowmobile.When in aerial mode the street view blue paths dont show on the mt but I stumbled onto the trails from the parking area.The guy must have been standing on the snowmoblie sometimes cuz you see the back of his head a lot.

Jully

FYI.I just was using GE street view to check it out and ended up going up a few trails that were videod from a snowmobile.When in aerial mode the street view blue paths dont show on the mt but I stumbled onto the trails from the parking area.The guy must have been standing on the snowmoblie sometimes cuz you see the back of his head a lot.

I just did it as well. That is really awesome. Had no idea something like that exited on Google maps. I bet other ski areas have it too.

SIKSKIER

I just did it as well. That is really awesome. Had no idea something like that exited on Google maps. I bet other ski areas have it too.
I've seen more than a few.Wildcat has this.I just noticed that just like Ashland,when you grab the street view guy it only shows a few lower mt blue lanes but if you drop to them in street view and keep aiming up it keeps going.

BenedictGomez

A bunch of ski areas on are GOOG maps. Whistler's one of the more impressive undertakings.

bushpilot

Looks very nice! Google pics remind me a bit of Nelson BC.

What makes you want to leave MRV?

The wife wanting a change and being the right timing with kids. Daughter just graduated and son will be in middle school next year so if we are going to relocate now is the time.

The whole area had a great vibe and I hear good things about the schools. Most of what I read about the ski area is that it is a good locals spot and the terrain get challenging quick. Which to me sounds like a good thing. The don't get much snow in the valley and I am guessing most people don't have snow tires. There were a lot of signs going up the access road for spots to "chain up" and if you want to park at Ashland in the winter you need to get a sno-park permit which explains that to travel in these areas you need chains or studded tires. They have a free shuttle that takes you from town up the mountain but that only runs twice each way. It isn't that far from where I will be working but when I drove out there the trek up the mountain road seemed like too big an ordeal to ski before getting to work which is something I can do now. The possibilty of them not getting snow is a drag but I am hoping for some trips to some of the bigger destinations that get planned closer to the time based on conditions will be easier and cheaper from where I am located. If I can drive to squaw/alpine in the same time as it takes someone in Jersey to drive up here that seems pretty good imo.

I appreciate everyone's feedback. I am struggling to find much on the area in forums discussions and trip reports.

Last edited:

JoeB-Z

The ski are near Ashland was virtually closed 2014 and 2015 with a snow drought. They carried over season passes but had a really tough time. Obviously not much snowmaking.

machski

The wife wanting a change and being the right timing with kids. Daughter just graduated and son will be in middle school next year so if we are going to relocate now is the time.

The whole area had a great vibe and I hear good things about the schools. Most of what I read about the ski area is that it is a good locals spot and the terrain get challenging quick. Which to me sounds like a good thing. The don't get much snow in the valley and I am guessing most people don't have snow tires. There were a lot of signs going up the access road for spots to "chain up" and if you want to park at Ashland in the winter you need to get a sno-park permit which explains that to travel in these areas you need chains or studded tires. They have a free shuttle that takes you from town up the mountain but that only runs twice each way. It isn't that far from where I will be working but when I drove out there the trek up the mountain road seemed like too big an ordeal to ski before getting to work which is something I can do now. The possibilty of them not getting snow is a drag but I am hoping for some trips to some of the bigger destinations that get planned closer to the time based on conditions will be easier and cheaper from where I am located. If I can drive to squaw/alpine in the same time as it takes someone in Jersey to drive up here that seems pretty good imo.

I appreciate everyone's feedback. I am struggling to find much on the area in forums discussions and trip reports.
Don't neglect going North too, Mt. Bachelor is great when timed right (IE Summit Quad is running).

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app