• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mammth Ski Trip this summer?

SIKSKIER

Thinking about heading out to Mammoth for some early July skiing.Still tons of snow and they are planing to ski into August.I was looking at ticket prices and right now they are $89 which isn't bad because they still have a lot open.I did notice that they also give a 50% discount to a passholder from any mt.$45 sounds real good.Never been and wondering how those that have which route they went from the northeast(NH).

Mammoth is a blast to ski. Chair 23, upper gondola, beers in town. Have fun sleeping at 8k feet! Drink lots of water. Take a trip up Tioga Pass and do some backcountry.

I think you would want a car - so much more to do than skiing. I think once summer hits their hours will go from around 730-2pm. Could be wrong. Plenty of exploring to do after that via car, hot springs, hiking, June Lake area, Tioga Pass.....I would definitely have a car there.

gmcunni

getting there seems to be tough.. worth it i'm sure but tough. i'm hoping for a trip there soon but won't be this summer.

abc

I know in the winter, there're flights into Mammoth. The flight usually goes from LA. Not sure those flights continue into the summer though.

Mammoth is a long way from other major airports. Reno is probably the closest one. Vegas or LA are both 5+ hours.

Unless you get a flight into Mammoth itself, you'll need a car to get from the airport to Mammoth.

You can also rent a mountain bike and do some lift-served mountain biking in the warmer part of the mountain.

gmcunni

round trip from BOS to MMH is about $750 if you go mid week july 3 - 7, 1 stop in LAX. long day for sure

snoseek

Came here to say its been really hot out here recently. Still lots of snow up high but the blowtorch is in full effect.

Rambo

Came here to say, for the second day of summer 6/23/2017, the webcams show great conditions.

Remember Mammoth does have some Machine made base that will withstand warmer temps.
Upper mountain
2017-06-23.jpg

Lower mountain
2017-06-23 (1).jpg

snoseek

Oh its still good just melting out very quickly. Plus its suncupping in less heavily traveled areas. I'll probably head down next week maybe Tuesday if I can get my ass up

Rambo

Oh its still good just melting out very quickly. Plus its suncupping in less heavily traveled areas. I'll probably head down next week maybe Tuesday if I can get my ass up

Does anybody know if people get altitude sickness up at the summit of Mammoth Mountain ski area? - seeing as it is over 11,000 feet above sea level.

abc

You may get a bit breathless, more noticeable if you hike. But no, I never heard anyone getting altitude sickness for the few minutes at above 10,000.

The remedy for altitude sickness is always to go down. So, when in doubt, just skip the dilly-dallying and ski down as quickly as you can. Taht should solve the problem.

DoublePlanker

Well we are headed to Southern California for 7 days and the plan is to drive to Mammoth and ski the next day. Should be interesting.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

I've done that drive. I remember a long 4 (maybe 6?) hours. Once you turn north away from the Vegas highway, there are like 4 towns between there and Mammoth. Lots of empty space, tumbleweeds, and the aqueduct.

Mammoth is awesome and worth it.