• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing during a total solar eclipse

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Eclipse starts at 2:15pm EST

Totality:
Starts - 3:26pm
Ends - 3:30pm

Complete at 4:37pm

Now to determine the likelihood that it is going to be cloudy at the summit of Jay Peak :sad:. Burke is also in the path totality. But it is only a two minute window here.

I may have to figure out how to capture something like this...

benski

Sugarbush is at the souther end of the path. I would say thats a better option since its less cloudy there or in Lake placid.

drjeff

Heck, with this years eclipse path and the snowpack out West, Mt Hood (and other high peaks in the Cascades) and the Jackson Backcountry will be in play if you don't want to wait 7 years! :)

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

cdskier

Sugarbush is at the souther end of the path. I would say thats a better option since its less cloudy there or in Lake placid.

Less cloudy at Sugarbush? I joke all the time about the clouds that are so often stuck over the top of the mountain...

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
I just checked out the sun position for April 8 between 2:30 and 4:00. Unfortunately, the sun is still quite high in the sky at that time which means try to get something in the "foreground" like you see in the video I linked is nearly impossible. The closest you can get is standing at the bottom of the Face Chute at Jay and looking straight up at the Summit Haus. Even then the sun will still be slightly above the ridge preventing anyone from skiing through the eclipsed sun.

Edit...
Looks like I'm headed to My Katahdin!

cdskier

I know what you mean but thats the phenomenon that causes terrain induced snow.

Yea, I love it in the winter when it snows from those clouds on the mountain yet down in the valley there's nothing.