17/18 First dartboard - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 40
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by bdfreetuna View Post
    Already planning based on this.
    If recent NOAA long-range winter history is a guide, do the exact opposite.

    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC



  2. #22
    JB out today saying global models are starting to align for another La Nina winter. Hopefully that pans out.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC



  3. #23
    Abubob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Alexandria, NH
    Posts
    3,001
    Quote Originally Posted by jack97 View Post
    Look how warm the arctic is. That can't be good in the long run. Eh ... one winter at a time. Looking "normal" in the NE so far.
    "Happiness equals reality minus expectations." Tommy Magliozzi

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Abubob View Post
    Look how warm the arctic is. That can't be good in the long run. Eh ... one winter at a time. Looking "normal" in the NE so far.
    Feels colder than last September in NE at least! Would love for this to continue into a cool October.

  5. #25
    I would not wish for La Nina or El Nino. Average winter is best. Studies have shown that their is not a statistical correlation between either weather event and more snow. If we have a good winter during a particular event, their is no guarantee it will happen again in the future. We are just as likely have a bad ski season in a La Nina year as we are El Nino. You also have to account for all the other factors that influence weather, like Artic Oscillation, Blocking etc. Both El Nino and La Nina are not solely predictive of anything as far as snowfall in NE. I am no weather expert, but once I actually read the snowfall studies relative to El Nino/La Nina I learned a lot.

  6. #26
    All El Nino's and La Nina's are not created equal, both in strength and structure. While a strong La Nina has correlated with warm/snowless winters in the NE, a weak to even moderate does not. Also, there's research indicating that one key is the difference between zone 3.4 (near date line) and 1.2 (close to SA coast). Warmer 3.4 vs 1.2 is good, the opposite is bad. One reason for last winter not being as good as it could have been is 1.2 warmed significantly (amongst other factors, like the central pacific cooling and the strength of the pacific jet etc) . The winter of 13/14 (or was it 14/15?) had a strong warm signal in 3.4 and it was epic......
    2017/18 =
    2016/17 = 31
    2015/16 = Depressing
    2014/15 = 28
    2013/14 = 27

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by slatham View Post
    All El Nino's and La Nina's are not created equal, both in strength and structure. While a strong La Nina has correlated with warm/snowless winters in the NE, a weak to even moderate does not. Also, there's research indicating that one key is the difference between zone 3.4 (near date line) and 1.2 (close to SA coast). Warmer 3.4 vs 1.2 is good, the opposite is bad. One reason for last winter not being as good as it could have been is 1.2 warmed significantly (amongst other factors, like the central pacific cooling and the strength of the pacific jet etc) . The winter of 13/14 (or was it 14/15?) had a strong warm signal in 3.4 and it was epic......
    So what your saying is El Nino's and La Nina's are free to identify with what ever gender they wish ?

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Siliconebobsquarepants View Post
    So what your saying is El Nino's and La Nina's are free to identify with what ever gender they wish ?
    Ha, yes, and may change gender in the middle of the winter too.
    2017/18 =
    2016/17 = 31
    2015/16 = Depressing
    2014/15 = 28
    2013/14 = 27

  9. #29
    https://www.weatherbell.com/#featured

    Saturday summary FF to 8:32 La Nina developing

  10. #30
    It's true that La Nina is no "guarantee" for a snowier NE winter, but it is conducive to slightly colder than normal, and more importantly, a higher conveyor belt, both important things conducive to snow where you want it. Two decent signals, and I'll take that over poor signals.

    LaNinapattern.jpg
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 2:34 PM.