• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarbush - 2/18/2007

snowmonster

Date(s) Skied: February 18, 2007

Resort or Ski Area: Sugarbush

Conditions: Powder; temps 5 to 15 F; no wind in AM, high winds late in the afternoon

Trip Report:

After Burkeapalooza II, the little snowmonster and I decided to take things easy for the next day. Stayed in Montpelier during the night and woke up to a nice dusting of fresh fluffy snow. I took andyzee's advice and went straight to Mt. Ellen. There was a traffic jam on Sugarbush access road going to Lincoln at 9:15 am and that was a sign of things to come. Mt. Ellen though was packed. I was at lot 8 and cars were still coming. Finally got my Sugarcard (got a voucher at the Boston ski show) and booted up quick.

When we got to Sugarbush, the snow was flying thick and fast. Literally, except for a few breaks of sun which lasted 15 minutes at the most, light fluffy snow was falling the whole day. Top of both Mt. Ellen and Lincoln were both foggy the whole day and visibility up top was not the best (flat light to pea soup).

Took the Green Mountain Express Quad. First runs were down Rim Run, Elbow, Looking Good, Which Way and Cruiser. Went down Inverness to sample the Inverness Quad too. These were all blue runs but they were all getting bumped up and covered in fluffy snow. Great day to practice newfound confidence in the bumps (thanks to trailboss, RIDEr and all the other folks I skied with at Burke the day before). Terrible day though if you were looking for groomers -- they stopped existing today.

Didn't ski FIS but all the people I rode on the chair said that it was "the run of the day" except for icy spots on the right.

Got on the Slide Brook Quad at about noon. It's a great roller coaster ride. Great for the views -- the valley looks majestic from the chair. In the forest, you could see tracks going in and out of the woods. Lots of shouting in the glades too. Avoid this quad though if you have vertigo or are afraid of heights!

Same conditions at Lincoln Peak -- just more crowded. Got on North Lynx and did a passable bump run on Morning Star. Little snowmonster went down Birch Run and said it was all bumped up. Since we both learned to ski at the Bush, we paid homage to the bunny runs on Easy Rider and Out to Lunch. Found some really fresh untracked powder on the left side of Easy Rider and tried to test my non-existent powder skills. I was surfing along with a %$it-eating grin on my face, tried to turn and ended up face planting twice and getting buried in fluffy powder. The little kids on the lift had a great time watching me.

Tried to get lunch at 1:15 pm but everything from the pub to the posh resto at the base was packed to the gills (Great work on the base though. It's pretty ritz-y so you know what kind of clientele they want.). Had an energy bar instead and lined up at the Gatehouse Quad. This was packed -- 10 minutes just on the singles line. Ducked into the woods at Deeper Sleeper and there was lots of fresh untracked powder (took andyzee's advice and unstrapped my poles). Headed to the Super Bravo express to go for Organgrinder and Jester. Started this journey at about 2:00 pm and, because of the line situation, finally got to the top of Organgrinder at 2:40. Did one rundown Organgrinder -- skied off in some spots on top, fluffy powder after the initial steep and bumped up all the way. Good run. Had to head straight to the Gatehouse quad though to make the Slidebrook trip back to Mt. Ellen (Slidebrook stops running at 3:15 so Jester will have to wait another day). Barely made it though.

Took one last run down Elbow. Legs were giving way and the wind was really howling at this point so I just wanted to call it a day. Decided to challenge myself and did one last bump run -- Encore. Big mistake. I was too tired and getting lazy. Got down all right but it was no thing of beauty. Just did enough to get down,

Overall, a great day at the Bush. With a superb day the day before, this was a weekend for the books!

snowmonster

Andyzee, you're right. Li'l snowmonster left it in the car again. I'll try to be better about the camera situation and have some shots for the next TR. She'll have to do the uploading of shots though since I am all thumbs. Have fun in Utah. Hope Ms. andyzee loves the new skis!

thetrailboss

Staff member
Did the power go out while you were there? I heard rumors that the lifts were stopped at SB or MRG due to an outage on Sunday...