• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter Mtn Expansion Details

Jully

Impressive how much larger a ski area that new expansion seems to make Hunter. Very awesome.

bdfreetuna

Definitely. Although I'm starting to get a little tired of James N. maps especially after seeing the masterpiece Magic was able to produce, with different types of trees in accurate locations and a great sense of contour/topography.

Prior to this expansion Hunter was one of the "skinniest" looking 1600ft vert ski areas in the whole country.

sull1102

Definitely. Although I'm starting to get a little tired of James N. maps especially after seeing the masterpiece Magic was able to produce, with different types of trees in accurate locations and a great sense of contour/topography.

Prior to this expansion Hunter was one of the "skinniest" looking 1600ft vert ski areas in the whole country.

SHHHHHH before all the James N maps are gone in favor of this new format I have seen at other mountains outside of Magic(which I do like so don't execute me everyone). Not a big fan of the new Mount Snow map or the now a few years old Waterville Valley map that are in the new style.

Looking at the new map, wow is that a major change for Hunter. That mountain looks huge now with trails all over the place. It never felt like it was missing a piece, but now looking at the map I don't understand how this wasn't a priority 20+ years ago. It is just a totally natural fit.

RichT

N Haledon, NJ/Jewett, NY/South Seaside Park, NJ
For years the Slutskey's always said that they couldn't expand because the EPA wouldn't let them use the extra water for snow-making. So what happened? How did this expansion get approved or were they just BSing us all that time.

mbedle

For years the Slutskey's always said that they couldn't expand because the EPA wouldn't let them use the extra water for snow-making. So what happened? How did this expansion get approved or were they just BSing us all that time.

There was issues with the NY and Hunter about withdrawal rates from the river back in the 90s. Those issues put the expansion plans on hold. See linked article. I do not know if they got an increased withdrawl rate from the creek to complete the north project.
https://www.nytimes.com/1996/12/25/...ights-skiers-but-alarms-conservationists.html

The Scholharie has never been a great trout stream, it gets too warm in the summer and is subject to low flows with or without Hunter. Also, Hunter has since built the million gallon pond. The issue is that they couldn't get approval for the pipeline up Rusk Hollow. The water has always had to be pumped up and over to the West Side.

I guess they now solved that issue.

Funky_Catskills

The Scholharie has never been a great trout stream, it gets too warm in the summer and is subject to low flows with or without Hunter. Also, Hunter has since built the million gallon pond. The issue is that they couldn't get approval for the pipeline up Rusk Hollow. The water has always had to be pumped up and over to the West Side.

I guess they now solved that issue.

it was a great trout stream until humans deforested the Catskills in the mid 1800's...

Funky_Catskills

DEC...

Now there's a new sheriff in town(Peaks)

tnt1234

Updated map can be seen here...

https://www.facebook.com/JamesNiehues/

Looks nice - nice defined trails instead of the identical and parallel slopes on the front side.

Don't love that the lift really only services about 4 of those trails....but I guess that's better than having two 6-packs duping hordes on the already over-crowded peak.

Nice that there are glades back there also.

tnt1234

Ending the new 6 pack there is so smart, it will better distribute all the intermediate skiers on busy days that are not ready for the front side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe. But if they expect enough traffic there to warrant a 6-pack, those four new trails are going to be wall to wall.

raisingarizona

Maybe. But if they expect enough traffic there to warrant a 6-pack, those four new trails are going to be wall to wall.

Being that the new pod has its own base area that lift isn’t just to serve those trails I imagine, another purpose is to move people up and out first thing in the morning