• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter Mtn Expansion Details

Funky_Catskills

The Belt is now even more fun and dangerous. The new entrance to Wayout is really Expert. Lots of snowmaking going on, not sure why the complaints. They just make it differently now. Today featured great snow on Hellgate through 7th. Blowing Overlook TTB, Racers started today. Gunhill, Dropoff will be open tomorrow. We should the full front on the next week. Oh it was sunny too!

I'd venture to say that if the old guard was still around we wouldn't have as much terrain open right now. They went for it ` even with rain in the forecast. That's huge for Hunter who always seems to be afraid of rain.

Agree. Looking today, they still are blowing on Gun Hill, there must be 20 feet deep, cause it was yesterday. This could be a nice shady late season trail!

I'd venture to say that if the old guard was still around we wouldn't have as much terrain open right now. They went for it ` even with rain in the forecast. That's huge for Hunter who always seems to be afraid of rain.

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
Agree. Looking today, they still are blowing on Gun Hill, there must be 20 feet deep, cause it was yesterday. This could be a nice shady late season trail!

They are blowing on it still, since the last 4 fan guns on the bottom are dead! There was an electrical fire at the bottom. They are pushing the snow down. I heard the new Snowmaking manager does not even have snowmaking experience. Plenty of Construction experience though. Racers guns are being run the old fashioned way...manually...

I know Gabe has a lot of experience. The fire was crazy, the electrical arc all the way up the trail. They do like their mounds of snow, they never move a gun. Second to last gun on Racers is not working either and the very last gun on the right has been gone for a few years and its a problem for coverage towards the battery.

They are blowing on it still, since the last 4 fan guns on the bottom are dead! There was an electrical fire at the bottom. They are pushing the snow down. I heard the new Snowmaking manager does not even have snowmaking experience. Plenty of Construction experience though. Racers guns are being run the old fashioned way...manually...

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
I know Gabe has a lot of experience. The fire was crazy, the electrical arc all the way up the trail. They do like their mounds of snow, they never move a gun. Second to last gun on Racers is not working either and the very last gun on the right has been gone for a few years and its a problem for coverage towards the battery.

I was given a different name by someone...

tnt1234

Weather not looking good for the weekend - was looking forward to hitting hunter.

Funky_Catskills

Snowmaking manager is the reason we have extensive snow right now..
He went against the norm and it paid off..

catskillman

There is time and then Hunter time. The entrance to Wayout is going to be interesting to say the least!

I totally agree. And I assume they are going to add some sort of netting or something at the bottom of White Cloud since the fence is gone.

antman12

Ive never been to Hunter until this season... Went the day before Thanksgiving and have since been the past 3 Saturdays and hopefully this Saturday depending on the weather. 2 quick pics from last Saturday of the expansion.
1.jpg
2.jpg

catskillman

Ive never been to Hunter until this season... Went the day before Thanksgiving and have since been the past 3 Saturdays and hopefully this Saturday depending on the weather. 2 quick pics from last Saturday of the expansion.
View attachment 24310
View attachment 24311
so - why now. do you come from Philly every weekend? Where did you ski previously? Curious - and I do not work for the marketing department... actually I do not want to see the mountain get any more crowed.

Oh - avoid blue boy like your life depends on it., as it may.

DIsclaimer - the man in the blue Helly Hansen outfit is not "Blue Boy" . He is normal and a respectible man about town.

Last edited:

antman12

Why now? Because I bought a peak pass this season to use at Big Boulder/Jack Frost in PA along with a couple days at Snow through out the winter. Ive always been meaning to get to Hunter just never went for whatever reason. I really enjoyed my first day there on Nov 21st so ive been back a few more times since.

Where did I previously ride? A place in PA called Blue Mountain, 1100' of vertical with (2) HS lifts so not terribly small like most all PA mountains. I also still have a season pass there too. I can drive 90 mins to either Blue or Boulder or just under 3 hours to Hunter.

Lol after quickly reading your post last night about Blue Boy I was pretty confused….until I saw the thread about him this morning. So thanks for the heads up!

Last edited:

So Inclined

God I hope so, or its gonna be a shit show!

I might suggest they just build an auxiliary patrol HQ beside that intersection, like an old-timey British police box. When won't they be mopping people up there? :lol:police.jpg