• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter Mtn Expansion Details

zyk

Lower k27 opened today and I think upper crossover as well

kingslug

Friend who lives next to Hunter said there was 2 trajic accidents on the new north side saturday..i knew shit like this would happen there..even wrote them a letter about it..sux

Edd

Friend who lives next to Hunter said there was 2 trajic accidents on the new north side saturday..i knew shit like this would happen there..even wrote them a letter about it..sux

Are you saying two accidents in the same place on the same day?

catskillman

what is the definition of tragic? I left early on Saturday - place was dangerous - way too many people and most were struggling.

These issues seem to now be the norm which is very very unfortunate......

crazy

What happened?

Funky_Catskills

1 death..1 paralized..hes a pretty good source of info..skis there every week..knows everyone..hate hearing shit like this

I heard somebody slide off the trail at high speed and died - near the new lift - with people watching.
And somebody fell off of B lift..

sucks

So Inclined

I heard somebody slide off the trail at high speed and died - near the new lift

That would probably have to be on Twilight, which runs beside the lift and still has some slope to it as it ends by the terminal. Rip's and especially Overlook have pretty flat run-outs; nothing's impossible but you'd really have to be making a mistake or trying to lose it at high speed at the bottom of the the latter two.

I've heard the same basic details about these incidents from someone who was there over the weekend. It's very sad and can only think of the families and loved ones of those hurt.
I also heard that Saturday was icy in places yet not completely unskiable, but Sunday was a horror show of ice and cold. That made me somewhat glad I couldn't make it there.

Funky_Catskills

That would probably have to be on Twilight, which runs beside the lift and still has some slope to it as it ends by the terminal. Rip's and especially Overlook have pretty flat run-outs; nothing's impossible but you'd really have to be making a mistake or trying to lose it at high speed at the bottom of the the latter two.

The person was skiing to fast on a run out.

You can see up the trail most of the way, you probably could see it both ways. Skiers right just off the steep pitch.

catskillman

very sad news.....

And - the now covered up the whole the woman fell through headfirst at the top of B with a mound of snow.........How does the mountain get insurance.

Also - there was a major accident on sleepy hollow (the 2nd new run off the parkway) and that is apparently why it is remainig closed

benski

very sad news.....

And - the now covered up the whole the woman fell through headfirst at the top of B with a mound of snow.........How does the mountain get insurance.

Also - there was a major accident on sleepy hollow (the 2nd new run off the parkway) and that is apparently why it is remainig closed

A Hunter patroler told me the unloading from b lift is responsible for 5 injuries a day on weekends. Its unbelievable. Were else do people get hurt unloading lifts? That lift's unload is 10 feet off the ground but still.

kingslug

Getting off the lift was one of the more terrifying things i dealt with my first year skiing..we forget that its not easy at first..especially when there are 3 other people involved..or 5..and its a sheet of ice.

jg17

very sad news.....

What do you mean by a hole that a woman fell through? Did the unload ramp give out?

Finally got to try Hunter North for the first time yesterday. Some nice runs, but agreed that a lot was poorly executed. The unload area is unbelievably tight, must be difficult to unload a full chair in that tiny space. The crazy turns into Way Out and off of White Cloud are... interesting. I heard from patrol that White Cloud won't open at all this season due to the mess that the intersection has become, and it's possible it might be permanently closed.

As packed as the mountain was, it was great that the north side was pretty empty. Twilight is nice, but that step pitch and sharp turn combo I'm sure can get messy for inexperienced skiers. Rip's is an awesome, fast run, but maybe even also deserving of the blue/black rating. Bummer that Sleepy Hollow has been closed, but that crazy long run out at the bottom where it meets Overlook is... a little absurd.