• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter Mtn Expansion Details

catskillman

What do you mean by a hole that a woman fell through? Did the unload ramp give out?

Finally got to try Hunter North for the first time yesterday. Some nice runs, but agreed that a lot was poorly executed. The unload area is unbelievably tight, must be difficult to unload a full chair in that tiny space. The crazy turns into Way Out and off of White Cloud are... interesting. I heard from patrol that White Cloud won't open at all this season due to the mess that the intersection has become, and it's possible it might be permanently closed.

As packed as the mountain was, it was great that the north side was pretty empty. Twilight is nice, but that step pitch and sharp turn combo I'm sure can get messy for inexperienced skiers. Rip's is an awesome, fast run, but maybe even also deserving of the blue/black rating. Bummer that Sleepy Hollow has been closed, but that crazy long run out at the bottom where it meets Overlook is... a little absurd.

If you look to your right as you are unloading the B lift, after the Station (where the liftie OD'd) there is an opening. The woman fell through that opening and hit the ground, a big drop, head first. She was on the lift with her husband and 2 young children! She is now paralyzed. The hole/opening is now blocked with a pile of snow - which extends out about 4 inches to far for safe unloading. I heard someone say not that about 1 in 10 have hit that unexpected snow bank and struggle. There are now more falls on that ramp than ever.

catskillman

A Hunter patroler told me the unloading from b lift is responsible for 5 injuries a day on weekends. Its unbelievable. Were else do people get hurt unloading lifts? That lift's unload is 10 feet off the ground but still.

Accurate - and the count is expected to increase with that snow pile they now have there after that woman fell into the gap........

So Inclined

A Hunter patroler told me the unloading from b lift is responsible for 5 injuries a day on weekends. Its unbelievable. Were else do people get hurt unloading lifts? That lift's unload is 10 feet off the ground but still.

I went up that lift a couple times yesterday afternoon. It was absolute chaos on the landing, and it certainly looked like carnage was imminent if not already happening. It was icy af in places; some people barely knew how to get off the lift, much less deal with skiddy conditions; there were snowboarders (and probably a couple skiers too tbf, but mostly riders) just chillin in the middle of the long ramp down, because f it, why not?
Kids and I successfully negotiated it a couple times without getting taken out - but it was hair-raising.
There were people down hard everywhere on the trails off B yesterday. Mossy Green could be called M*A*S*H*Y Green. Patrol should be paid twice whatever they're paid for what they have to contend with on Saturdays like that.

So Inclined

I heard from patrol that White Cloud won't open at all this season due to the mess that the intersection has become, and it's possible it might be permanently closed.

White Cloud's one of my favorite trails on the mountain, and that's the best and least-surprising news I've heard yet.

prsboogie

Nice to see Peaks wasting money in NY when NH is dying for a new lift. But whatever...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

jg17

Yikes, that's crazy that the hole exists at all. That unload is a mess on a good day. That ramp is way too long for beginners to safely navigate. I avoided B yesterday (and really the base area in general) specifically because I didn't want to take chances unloading with 3 others that can't unload without piling up, while also dodging other pileups on the ramp... I think that unload needs to be changed before more significant incidents.

So Inclined

Nice to see Peaks wasting money in NY when NH is dying for a new lift. But whatever...

I have a lot of love for Attitash (spend a week most years skiing it & Wildcat) and am rooting for it to get a new lift yesterday.
But Peak almost assuredly isn't 'wasting' money at a place that gets more visitors on a decent weather non-holiday Saturday than Attitash gets in a non-holiday week.

catskillman

Yikes, that's crazy that the hole exists at all. That unload is a mess on a good day. That ramp is way too long for beginners to safely navigate. I avoided B yesterday (and really the base area in general) specifically because I didn't want to take chances unloading with 3 others that can't unload without piling up, while also dodging other pileups on the ramp... I think that unload needs to be changed before more significant incidents.

6 pack was closed this morning, it opened around 8:30, and then shut down. Winds were high and 2 snowmobiles went racing up...I forget about it and never asked what happened....so I had to take the B. Why that gap/hole was there and the problem not identified years ago is amazing. I never noted the risk, and apparently NYS inspectors never did either. But it was evident once you look.

There were any many wipe outs, and the kids going off the left side down the high side has always been scary, as people fly past that area to avoid skating after coming down the east side.

prsboogie

I have a lot of love for Attitash (spend a week most years skiing it & Wildcat) and am rooting for it to get a new lift yesterday.
But Peak almost assuredly isn't 'wasting' money at a place that gets more visitors on a decent weather non-holiday Saturday than Attitash gets in a non-holiday week.
There I a significant amount of traffic that drives right by because of that lift. Is it as busy as Hunter, probably not but they cannot afford to loose more asses on chairs because of it.

So Inclined

There I a significant amount of traffic that drives right by because of that lift. Is it as busy as Hunter, probably not but they cannot afford to loose more asses on chairs because of it.

I believe it, and I'm with you and anyone else who says it's got to get sorted out quick.

Funky_Catskills

Don't listen to the nay-sayers... The new terrain is awesome!!! The new lift is great!!! And the town is digging the traffic through the village. Stop in the pizza place and ask the mayor - he's stoked...
Peaks did a great job in spite of the people that seem to just want to bitch about it. I spent most of yesterday on the new terrain and it was a perfect day.

I hope you get a new lift.. Just understand that this was not "wasting money" - there's a shti ton of people that love the whole thing.. Not just the loud internet guys...

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
6 pack was closed this morning, it opened around 8:30, and then shut down. Winds were high and 2 snowmobiles went racing up...I forget about it and never asked what happened....so I had to take the B. Why that gap/hole was there and the problem not identified years ago is amazing. I never noted the risk, and apparently NYS inspectors never did either. But it was evident once you look.

There were any many wipe outs, and the kids going off the left side down the high side has always been scary, as people fly past that area to avoid skating after coming down the east side.

It was never closed! Mechanical issue at top cause of the wind. Was stopped for 5-10 minutes. How do I know, I was on the 2nd to last chair watching it. Get your facts straight!

Funky_Catskills

It was never closed! Mechanical issue at top cause of the wind. Was stopped for 5-10 minutes. How do I know, I was on the 2nd to last chair watching it. Get your facts straight!

And find another mountain that doesn't seem to be screwing him over all the time..
Windham and Bellayre are awesome...

catskillman

I would not call it wasting money. While they certainly have had their issues, it is bringing in the crowds. And they are not investing in new ice machines to replace the broken ones.. They are now buying ice

catskillman

I got 1 run in from the 6 pack, when I tried to enter the lift line I was told by the scanner man that it was closed and to head to B and take F to ski from the top. Hence, my comments on B. I would not have been on it at all if the 6 pack was open.

catskillman

Oh - and it is great how they printed up their own sign. One letter per 81/2 X 11 piece of paper next to each other. "N O S T A N D I N G"
to try and clear the area out quick. However, when you are on a board you do need some space to strap in ...

The North side has been open for a month now........I appreciate it that this company is acknowledging this issue Finally.....but really.

Glad I sold my stock!

rtjcbrown

I haven't been to Hunter for a very long time. The new terrain almost made me end my self-imposed exile. Hearing all the BS will keep me away again.
Sounds like thy don't need my business though, and I wish them well. I have great memories of the village and would love to see a return to it's glory days.

Funky_Catskills

I haven't been to Hunter for a very long time. The new terrain almost made me end my self-imposed exile. Hearing all the BS will keep me away again.
Sounds like thy don't need my business though, and I wish them well. I have great memories of the village and would love to see a return to it's glory days.

For real - it's awesome. Not sure why people need to be so negative all the god damn time.
I had the best time on the new terrain this weekend. No lines... Open trails... Great pitch for me. Snow was sweet!!!!

This is a move to return Hunter to it's glory days.. I live in the village and I know it's going to be a good thing for us and revitalize!!!