• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter Mtn Expansion Details

mbedle

Curious what they end up doing with the road to Z lift. The trails look to cross it.

Going to assume nothing, since its a private road owned by Peak. Can't imagine it receives a lot of traffic in the winter, other then mechanics and lift operators.

slatham

Do I read the map right that the lift only goes up to the intersection of Belt Parkway and Way Out? That is obviously not the "summit" of the ridge line in that area.

kartski

Any higher, and it becomes too steep to be intermediate!

You have the Belt and White Cloud, I don't think the Summit can handle off loading the 6 Pack, West Side Quad, F Triple and a new Quad. Just not enough room ford all those People.

kartski

Going to assume nothing, since its a private road owned by Peak. Can't imagine it receives a lot of traffic in the winter, other then mechanics and lift operators.

Injured People from the West Side get taken to First Aid by Bus down that road. I don't recall it being Paved. Clear a new path and add some rock Ballast and you have a new Service Road linking to the new parking Lot.

mbedle

Injured People from the West Side get taken to First Aid by Bus down that road. I don't recall it being Paved. Clear a new path and add some rock Ballast and you have a new Service Road linking to the new parking Lot.

This most likely will just transport the injured people back to the pedestrian bridge, via sled, and load them into an ambulance in the new parking lot.

deadheadskier

Staff member
This essentially is the biggest change at Hunter since I started skiing there in 1972. Even though its intermediate, I am still excited!
I'd be very excited as well. Never skied Hunter, but with it's reputation for crowds it sounds like they could use the additional acreage.

The other way to look at it is maybe added intermediate terrain will translate to less grooming on Hunter's expert terrain. There have been frequent comments on AZ that Peaks has groomed too much at Hunter since taking over. Hopefully this changes that some.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

slatham

You have the Belt and White Cloud, I don't think the Summit can handle off loading the 6 Pack, West Side Quad, F Triple and a new Quad. Just not enough room ford all those People.

I was expecting the top terminal to be down hill from 6 Pack and F Quad but still along the ridge line, in the area where Hellgate, The Cliffs, Jimmie, Belt and Whitecloud all split off. There is obviously intermediate terrain from the area with Belt and White cloud. But I can see the issue with too many people in that area and on those intermediate trails and the desire to have them all downhill from the summit and the existing trails. Pretty much a completely segregated area.

Mapnut

There's still 1,000 vertical feet. But it looks like it will be steepish intermediate terrain.

The real question will be, how late will the new are be open? With a parking lot, they'll have to keep access available.

Funky_Catskills

The real question will be, how late will the new are be open? With a parking lot, they'll have to keep access available.

True...

I like this.. It will finally shut the intermediates up and start to turn the reputation around. They finally have a place of their own on Hunter.... Somehow I still think they'll complain..

I broadens the ski area as far as it's entrances in parking lots. More traffic going west to the new entrance. Potential business opportunities in the mixed use/gateway area. WITH views of ski terrain finally too!

catskillman

There is another major major major, did I say major? development in the pipeline.......

I know this a a tease - stay turned.

I will spill when I get the OK, but thought it would be interesting to hear folks guess......

jerseydaze

There is another major major major, did I say major? development in the pipeline.......

I know this a a tease - stay turned.

I will spill when I get the OK, but thought it would be interesting to hear folks guess......[/QUOTE
Adding a bubble to the six pack?