Hunter Mtn Expansion Details - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 51
  1. #11
    RichT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Rockland/Jewett, NY
    Posts
    277
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapnut View Post
    Hunter is saying this will be intermediate terrain, but I agree it's generally too steep. The only way they can get blue terrain there is by sidehill return routes from Belt Parkway and Way Out, and maybe a switchbacking cut-and-fill route or two. Traffic on Belt Parkway will get even worse. If Hunter wants blue terrain, the best place would be the ridge above Hunter One. I wonder if they have access to that?

    Off the topo map, I measure that the proposed lift would be 2900 feet long with 1000 feet of vertical. The liftline would be solid expert.
    They don't own the land above Hunter One, I believe they do own all the land from Hunter One to 214 though. I heard that they wanted to trade the state some of that for more vertical on Hunter One but the state turned them down.
    NEVER SUMMER!

  2. #12
    Looking at their trail map, they have zip lines in the area above Hunter One. More to the right I guess. I was wondering about that terrain - the stuff from the fire tower down to the valley....

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Barto, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,064
    Take a look on Google maps and you will see all the green area south of Hunter One is owned by the state, including the peak of Hunter Mountain and the fire tower.

  4. #14
    JimG.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Hopewell Jct., NY
    Posts
    9,480
    Quote Originally Posted by mbedle View Post
    Take a look on Google maps and you will see all the green area south of Hunter One is owned by the state, including the peak of Hunter Mountain and the fire tower.
    Correct...all of that is designated forever wild.

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Barto, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,064
    Hunter.jpg

    Just for clarification, so every can see what is and is not owned by Peak. Would mostly be expert terrain, but the old proposed expansion to the south of the west area would be pretty nice. Maybe get in a intermediate trail by switchbacking. Also interesting is the zip lines appear to be on the Far West and Town of Hunter properties. Guessing they lease that land. Another thing that I found odd is why are some of the lifts and trails on distinctly separate parcels? Anyone have any idea the reasoning for that

    Anyone know how to upload the picture so it doesn't lose its resolution?
    Last edited by mbedle; Aug 25, 2017 at 2:58 PM.

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by mbedle View Post
    Hunter.jpg

    Just for clarification, so every can see what is and is not owned by Peak. Would mostly be expert terrain, but the old proposed expansion to the south of the west area would be pretty nice. Maybe get in a intermediate trail by switchbacking. Also interesting is the zip lines appear to be on the Far West and Town of Hunter properties. Guessing they lease that land. Another thing that I found odd is why are some of the lifts and trails on distinctly separate parcels? Anyone have any idea the reasoning for that

    Anyone know how to upload the picture so it doesn't lose its resolution?
    If I recall correctly that is done for liability reasons. Each of the lifts were owned by seperate companies. Just like the BAR operation is owned by Shanty Town, or sometiing like that, not the mountain .

    I'll inquire,

  7. #17

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by catskillman View Post
    If I recall correctly that is done for liability reasons. Each of the lifts were owned by seperate companies. Just like the BAR operation is owned by Shanty Town, or sometiing like that, not the mountain .



    I'll inquire,
    Shanty Hollow Corporation. I think the name comes from an actual place or part of the Mountain.

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Barto, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,064
    Interesting, I never would have thought that they would build the lodge across the creek and put a bridge in to get to the lift. Where they have it planned, that give them a solid 1,000 foot vertical.

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter...
    Posts
    1,585
    Curious what they end up doing with the road to Z lift. The trails look to cross it.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:49 AM.