Why the MTA sent $5 million to Upstate SKi Resorts

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Why the MTA sent $5 million to Upstate SKi Resorts

http://gothamist.com/2017/07/10/mta_tips_down_k_val.php

Interesting............

Going political in 3...2...1...

I read nothing in that article about skiing. Clickbait.
    2017-2018 1 Day and counting...
    Mount Snow: 11/12
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

Quote Originally Posted by ss20 View Post
    Going political in 3...2...1...

I read nothing in that article about skiing. Clickbait.
    Agree. What a stupid article.

Why does the state operate Ski areas? They should be finically self, it defiantly would be a competitive market, and its not for public benefit any more than any other business is.

Quote Originally Posted by benski View Post
    Why does the state operate Ski areas? They should be finically self, it defiantly would be a competitive market, and its not for public benefit any more than any other business is.
    Agree with that, and it has been a topic on this site often.

And why would the transit authority be told to send Belleayre, Whiteface and Gore $5 million dollars directly? There is no way that is proper accounting for state agencies. I am sure the resorts could use the $5M, and were happy to have it.........

I don't have a problem with the state operating ski areas as long as it is a revenue source. If they are operating at a loss, then the state shouldn't be running them.

As for the payment, if the MTA owed the state $5M and the state needed to put $5M in the accounts for one of their own departments, I don't particularly see the big issue with the state telling the MTA to essentially send the money directly to that account instead of the general account. One less money transfer later on. Big deal. The money was owed to the state and it went to the state. Maybe it isn't standard practice or good accounting, but I also don't see this as particularly newsworthy. The headline of this thread had me thinking the MTA took it upon themselves to pay the ski areas for something.

in March of 2016, the MTA sent $4.9 million to three upstate ski mountains operated by the Olympic Regional Development Authority [ORDA]. The MTA owed that money to the state, according to the governor's budget spokesperson, but was directed by Cuomo to write a check to ORDA directly.
    This is actually a pretty serious matter. That's scandalous.

It's what entities do when they're facing serious financial troubles, robbing Peter to pay Paul, and in my experience it is usually indicative of far more dire conditions than said entity will publicly reveal and/or is generally publicly known.

What makes this even more curious, is that the MTA is also in pretty dire financial shape, so from that perspective, it's odd. In fact, that State Senator's explanation might hold water given how strange this is. From an accounting perspective, it might be a way for New York State to conceal how much taxpayer money its' truly spending by transferring money directly from one public-benefit corporation to another public-benefit corporation. I'd love to see how they're accounting for that transactionally on the books, because I smell a rotting fish here. I believe they're likely recording it as a transfer rather than an expense. Just my WAG (wild azz guess).
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by benski View Post
    Why does the state operate Ski areas?
    They shouldn't. It's a taxpayer money-draining hole, and it hurts the non-government players.

Imagine how much more successful Plattekill could be if their neighbor Bellayre wasn't constantly sucking off the government teat of life support?

Imagine how much more amazing Whiteface could be if it wasn't government run? Whiteface is a gem that's being operated like a low-grade piece of coal.

Imagine what would be possible at Gore if it wasnt government run? That place could also be a gem, IMO, some of the best tree skiing in the east.

Quote Originally Posted by catskillman View Post

why would the transit authority be told to send Belleayre, Whiteface and Gore $5 million dollars directly?
    See my above post, which is admittedly 100% unfounded speculation on my part...... but..... both the MTA and ORDA are P.B.A. organizations run by New York State.

So..... I believe New York State is likely recording these transactions on the books as internal transfers of funds, rather than expenses. If so, the accounting scandal level = High. It's the sort of thing people would go to jail for in the private sector, but since it's the government and they control the bayonets, nothing will likely happen to anyone beyond a slap on the wrist.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Over in NH Cannon Mtn is owned and operated by the state and I feel like they do a nice job

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    This is actually a pretty serious matter. That's scandalous.

It's what entities do when they're facing serious financial troubles, robbing Peter to pay Paul, and in my experience it is usually indicative of far more dire conditions than said entity will publicly reveal and/or is generally publicly known.

What makes this even more curious, is that the MTA is also in pretty dire financial shape, so from that perspective, it's odd. In fact, that State Senator's explanation might hold water given how strange this is. From an accounting perspective, it might be a way for New York State to conceal how much taxpayer money its' truly spending by transferring money directly from one public-benefit corporation to another public-benefit corporation. I'd love to see how they're accounting for that transactionally on the books, because I smell a rotting fish here. I believe they're likely recording it as a transfer rather than an expense. Just my WAG (wild azz guess).
    Not sure it really is robbing Peter to pay Paul because if the MTA did truly owe money to the State coffers and the State did truly owe the 3 ski areas the same amount then it wouldn't be. But if this wasn't the case then that is a totally different story and it would be scandalous as you note.
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days

Thread Information