• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Old News Black Mountain of Maine, but worth a summer read

The video at the beginning of 92 years young Chummy Broomhall is worth the click alone.

Nice story about Sunday River helping out a neighbor. This past winter was a good one, but the previous one was tough for a lot of areas especially at Black which was getting its feet wet after the inoculation the Libra Foundation had given the hill.

http://www.powder.com/stories/were-in-this-together/

I would say cautiously optimistic.

The lodge has had new paint and floors. New joists are scheduled to be installed upstairs to expand the pub and the roof will be replaced. Much of the work and materials come from volunteers.
Glades are seeing extensive increase in size this Summer and Fall. Last seasons cut hike to open trails have been destumped and smoothed. Work is underway to extend snowmaking further up the Allagash trail.

Looks like day tickets will remain $20/Fridays and $37/Saturday and Sunday. Season Passes are $290 through end of August which is a step up from last year. Past couple years local businesses and individuals have combined to open the mountain for free skiing to anyone on select Thursday evenings-how cool is that, free skiing for everyone.

Hopefully alternative revenue sources can grow, winters will at least be average and not hit a multiyear dry spell. The snow making system is the weakest part of the infrastructure. A community owned mountain needs a lot of love to keep going.

Yeah I don't know what the bangs were, first time I watched it I thought maybe a heavy piece of machinery. Second time I thought summer in Maine with the family, everyone is out blasting.

Disclosure: help out some with the Angry Beavers who cut the glades.

Last edited:

Jully

I look forward to returning to BMOM and get back into the glades and check out the new ones. Black is a special place, a true gem of all community owned gems, IMO.

Hope them all the best!

Black along with several other ski areas in Maine was blessed with the support of the Libra Foundation. For Black, that meant a new triple chair to the top and a wonderful lodge. The community was given the mountain with no debt and now the community needs to make a go of it. Great place to go if you want a break from Sunday River or as part of a ski tour of Maine especially if Saddleback reopens.

Last Run Pub upstairs is a great place to grab a fresh brew.