Belleayre New Gondola "Catskill Thunder" Construction Photos

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Belleayre New Gondola "Catskill Thunder" Construction Photos

Sorry but I am just dumbstruck by this. Belleayre, Gondola? NY state doing a wonderful job of allocating my tax dollars.
    2017/18 =
    2016/17 = 31
    2015/16 = Depressing
    2014/15 = 28
    2013/14 = 27

You got to love the rendering of the gondola that is obviously not at belleayre. Its a dopplemayr

Quote Originally Posted by slatham View Post
    Sorry but I am just dumbstruck by this. Belleayre, Gondola? NY state doing a wonderful job of allocating my tax dollars.
    Normally I would agree, but looking at the other stupid stuff NYS spends money on this seems like a win to me.

Not to mention the funds stolen by politicians in the state assembly.

Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    Normally I would agree, but looking at the other stupid stuff NYS spends money on this seems like a win to me.

I have to agree with that. If it wasn't for the following we wouldn't even have skiing in NY State.

1932 Winter Olympics Lake Placid
    10Th Mountain Division WWII Ski Troops
    1946 NY State Amendment voted on by all NY state voters to build Belleayre and Gore ski areas
    1950s Benjamin Lane built ski area on Bearpen Mountain that demonstrated Private Ski Areas could be a business

If it wasn't for Belleayre and Benjamin Lane, Orville Slutzky probably would never have built Hunter Mountain. Ben Lane hired Orville to build ski trails at Bearpen. Ben Lane met with Orville in Hunter where Orville asked Ben what he thought about building a ski area in Hunter on Colonels Chair Mountain. Ben's answer its a rough mountain. Slutzky's built roads so no problem.

So yes, our tax dollars could have been wasted elsewhere. Belleayre and Gore was a good thing. Remember Belleayre was built on foreever wild state land. This state land could have never been sold without a NY state amendment passed by all the voters in NY state.

Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post

Just because they could have done worse with the money, does not make it a good use.
    -A mtn as small as Bell does not need a gondola.
    -They will be destroying the flow of the mtn. As it is I would call Bell one of the best beginner mtns around since the trails are separated from the rest of the mtn. Now they will have much better skiers racing through the beginner trails scaring the beginners. The will have the beginners wanting to ride the gondi and ending up.lost on top of the mtn.
    -Bell claims how good it will be for mtb. but with Platty right down the road, I don't see much room for them there.
    -In this day I hate Gondi's in general. I have become a big fan of bubble lifts.

Sent from my SM-G930F using AlpineZone mobile app
    104(12/13)
    (13/14)
    48(14/15)
    35(15/16)
    Rossi Soul 7 w/ Marker F12 (188 )
    Blizzard Brahma Limited Edition (180)
    Atomic Redster XT(175)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkshot99 View Post
    Just because they could have done worse with the money, does not make it a good use.
    -They will be destroying the flow of the mtn. As it is I would call Bell one of the best beginner mtns around since the trails are separated from the rest of the mtn. Now they will have much better skiers racing through the beginner trails scaring the beginners. The will have the beginners wanting to ride the gondi and ending up.lost on top of the mtn.
    -Bell claims how good it will be for mtb. but with Platty right down the road, I don't see much room for them there.
    -In this day I hate Gondi's in general. I have become a big fan of bubble lifts.
    No area in the Catskills needs a gondola. I agree with all your points regarding beginners and the flow of the mountain. For MTB, they could have done it with a lift so I don't buy that justification. Although you reference Platty and I believe this year they cut way back on dates they are running the lifts for MTB over the summer as they wanted to focus more on private events.

They could have spent this money in much better ways at Belleayre or the other NYS ski resorts. At Belleayre they should focus on the expansion to highmount that is in the master plan. That would have been a much better use of the money.

Sent from my SM-G930F using AlpineZone mobile app
    Never said it was a good use of money.

All I said was that compared to the way NYS usually wastes money that this seems like a win. I prefer the money be used for a gondola than have it wind up in a crook like Sheldon Silver's pocket.

A mtn as small as Bell does not need a gondola.
    Belleayre first NY State Chair Lift built 1950
    Belle-Ayre-Double-Chair-204x300.jpg

Catskill Thunder
    5934_0_gr.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by slatham View Post
    More like your tax millionth of a cent. Call the Emperor Cuomo II, maybe he will mail you back a penny.

Thread Information