• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Why arent they all "demo" bindings?

Highway Star

So as I'm frequently inclined to do in the off-season, I bought another pair of used skis cheaply yesterday. These are from the 2016 demo fleet, and it got me thinking, why aren't all bindings (except specialized or high-end racing) mounted on demo rails?

I've been on many pairs of skis over the last decade with demo bindings, and in my quiver I now only own 1 pair of skis "traditionally" mounted. It's to the point I view traditionally mounted bindings as a negative, as they're much harder to sell if they fall out of favor in your quiver. There's no decrease in performance with demo bindings, and the utility aspect of very quickly adjusting the BSL to let anyone else use them is fantastic.

So why aren't all recreational skis mounted on mondo-adjustable bindings?

True, but I've changed boots several times in the last 6'ish years, and I didnt have to redrill my entire quiver. I do realize AZ people are not typical examples of the average skier though, so you may have a good point.

I'm going to try to put this nicely, but you're a hack.

Domeskier

Why aren't all bindings Kneebindings? A broken patent system? Orthopedic surgeon greed? DIN doesn't go to 25? The three inches of plastic between boots and skis? No credible evidence that they reduce knee injuries? No one has their ACLs anymore anyway? They don't make a demo binding? Global warming? A ski industry that's happy to chug along with 1960's era technology? Collusion with the Russians?

benski

Why aren't all bindings Kneebindings? A broken patent system? Orthopedic surgeon greed? DIN doesn't go to 25? The three inches of plastic between boots and skis? No credible evidence that they reduce knee injuries? No one has their ACLs anymore anyway? They don't make a demo binding? Global warming? A ski industry that's happy to chug along with 1960's era technology? Collusion with the Russians?

There is not much evidence they work.

BenedictGomez

I'm going to try to put this nicely, but you're a hack.

I likely am a hack, but I freely admit it.

That's far better than claiming you're a "top-10 skier at Killington on any day", but later having embarrassing video of your decidedly non "top-10 skier at ______ (insert any ski resort in the world)" publicly emerge.

cdskier

That's far better than claiming you're a "top-10 skier at Killington on any day", but later having embarrassing video of your decidedly non "top-10 skier at ______ (insert any ski resort in the world)" publicly emerge.

Hah! Well played.

True, but I've changed boots several times in the last 6'ish years

Just curious...why did you change boots so often? Were you having problems finding ones that fit properly? Changing skis I can understand and I often have to resist the urge to try another pair of skis. Boots I avoid changing as much as possible though (although I think this may be the year I need to give in and get new ones).

jack97

Given boot sizes doesn't match bsl from vendor to vendor, once I found the boot I like, I bought a second pair at ~ 60% MSRP. I did this since the boot had the fit, flex, forward lean and ramp angle I wanted, I had a hunch that future models would be more upright and a more neutral angle. Sure enough, the next gen model (KR2 Kryptons) had less ramp angle. One of the boot's liner got packed out, should have been replaced a couple of seasons ago, so I'm going to try the intuition liner I got early this year.

I have in laws that store their gear in the garage where temps can go extreme. The reason I say this is one way to accelerate aging and deformation for most materials is to place them in temp extremes. So, I placed all the boots in the basement where they are in livable conditions in the basement, in the winter temps do get cold but not freezing or below while the summer it's not unbearably hot. Oldest boots in the family is over 18 year, no cracks so far.

BenedictGomez

Hah! Well played.

Just curious...why did you change boots so often? Were you having problems finding ones that fit properly? Changing skis I can understand and I often have to resist the urge to try another pair of skis. Boots I avoid changing as much as possible though (although I think this may be the year I need to give in and get new ones).

First pair was packed out and old, so the second pair I wore for 4 seasons, and the ones I have now have 2 seasons on them so far. So I'm on my 3rd pair in the last 6 years, though if you add the years from pair #1 it's longer.