• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Staying at Alta or Snowbird?

jimk

Looks like that Ogden Courtyard got rid of their restaurant since I was there. Lots of good restaurants a block over on 25th street.

crank

I have also stayed in Ogden and it has plenty of good dining options and a ski shop or so. Have stayed at that same Marriot as Jim.

machski

I should add on Ogden I have stayed at what is now the Courtyard when it was a full Marriott and most recently the Hilton Garden Inn. The HGI is nice and a great little entertainment area with a rock gym, wave Rider and indoor sky diving right next door.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

xwhaler

I just emailed my brother and suggested this plan. I really appreciate everyone's help, this has been really useful info.
Figure if he doesn't like it he can head home to Seattle on Thursday. I know a couple other folks on the Mtn Collective I can link up with for the last couple days.

Arrive Sunday AM-Head to Alta/Bird and possibly ski a half day
Monday-Thurs (ski Alta/Bird) We have the Mtn Collective so 2 days at each
Thurs night: Head to Ogden
Friday: Ski Snowbasin
Friday night: Head to SLC to check out the city, possibly catch a Jazz game if they are at home
Sat AM: Fly home

xwhaler

If you guys had 5 days of skiing and had two tickets to each would you absolutely make Snowbasin the one day spot? We have both skied Alta and Snowbird so I could be tempted to maybe do 3 nights at Alta and two nights in Ogden skiing the basin 2x. Curious others thoughts on Snowbasin

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

RISkier

Can't compare staying at Alta vs Snowbird. I would suggest that if you like Mexican food and have the opportunity, check out the Red Iguana in SLC. My wife and I had lunch there and thought it was terrific. They have 7 or 8 different Moles and let us sample. We both thought it was terrific and would definitely return.

xwhaler

Can't compare staying at Alta vs Snowbird. I would suggest that if you like Mexican food and have the opportunity, check out the Red Iguana in SLC. My wife and I had lunch there and thought it was terrific. They have 7 or 8 different Moles and let us sample. We both thought it was terrific and would definitely return.
Love Mexican. Will check it out!

snoseek

I'm going to suggest we stay up in LCC Sunday-Thurs then head back to SLC for a couple nights to see the city a bit and get a day or two at Snowbasin

This is probably a good way to go. Marriot downtown is pretty sweet IMO. Way better food choices in the valley.

BenedictGomez

Way better food choices in the valley.

And entertainment choices.

If anyone's going this year, be sure to take the "learn to be a Curler" clinic at the SLC Olympic center. Lots of fun.*

*Unless you're Canadian, in which case I imagine curling is like bowling and not a big deal to try.

Razor

If you guys had 5 days of skiing and had two tickets to each would you absolutely make Snowbasin the one day spot? We have both skied Alta and Snowbird so I could be tempted to maybe do 3 nights at Alta and two nights in Ogden skiing the basin 2x. Curious others thoughts on Snowbasin

Snowbasin is awesome. Good fast lifts. Uncrowded. Get to do the Olympic downhill run. It's worth going just to experience the base lodges and mountain lodges. Comparable to a 5 star hotel. We also stayed in Ogden at that Marriott. Good town.

abc

Arrive Sunday AM-Head to Alta/Bird and possibly ski a half day
How? It's a 6 hour flight!

Sat AM: Fly home
To me, that's a big waste of daylight. I would ski Alta for 1/2 day and catch a late afternoon flight instead. (also gives you that extra day you need to ski Snowbasin 2x)

All my trips to SLC I always rent a car. The main reason is that last day of skiing. With my own car, I can ski till 2pm and still make a flight leaving at 4, which gets me back home about midnight.

deadheadskier

Staff member
ABC, you can get a direct flight from Boston leaving at 6:30AM and arriving in SLC at 10:30AM. Seems to me a half day of skiing at Alta is doable with that flight schedule.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

Last edited:

abc

OK, if you can do that (finger's cross that flights are on time, luggage arrive with you), you can ski the first and last day as half day. There's your extra day for skiing Snowbasin the 2nd day.

xwhaler

OK, if you can do that (finger's cross that flights are on time, luggage arrive with you), you can ski the first and last day as half day. There's your extra day for skiing Snowbasin the 2nd day.
Yes. I may fly home at 4/5 pm last day to get more turns in

jimk

Love Mexican. Will check it out!

It was about six years ago, but we ate at the Sonora Grill in Ogden near 25th St and it was good. Kind of upscale Mexican-American. Believe it's still in business, which is a good sign for a restaurant to survive that long:razz:.

snoseek

ABC, you can get a direct flight from Boston leaving at 6:30AM and arriving in SLC at 10:30AM. Seems to me a half day of skiing at Alta is doable with that flight schedule.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

last time I flew into SLC I took this exact Delta flight. I was dirt cheap, direct and I was on the chair at the bird exactly at noon with a cold beer! Good to know this flight still exist.

snoseek

It was about six years ago, but we ate at the Sonora Grill in Ogden near 25th St and it was good. Kind of upscale Mexican-American. Believe it's still in business, which is a good sign for a restaurant to survive that long:razz:.

Yep they made it past that 5 year mark...you rarely get to do that in restaurants unless you're making people genuinely happy.

On a separate not Ogden is somewhere I could totally spend a few years. Not nearly as shitty as it used to be and close to a lot of cool stuff without the congestion to the south