• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Staying at Alta or Snowbird?

jimk

They are all supposed to be pretty nice, but they are not cheap. However, if you have the coin there are a quintessential America ski experience. I've only stayed at GMD. It's nice, but in a very rustic way. Rooms are actually sort of Spartan, but there is some neat décor and photos hanging in the hallways, almost like walking around a ski museum. Scenic dining room with good food, lots of parking, and excellent access to Collins and Wildcat lifts. I've been inside Alta Lodge, it seemed smaller and also quite Spartan with communal gathering taking place in dining/lounge area. Believe the Snowpine is nominally the most affordable, but also the smallest. The dorms in the various Alta lodges can be a fine option for solo skiers. The communal sleeping and dining set-up along with the remote, exclusive location aids in meeting ski buddies for good times in good snow. The Cliff Lodge at Snowbird has a nice outdoor, rooftop pool and hot tub that can be quite popular. I used it a couple times last year as a day visitor.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Hey have been out of the loop these last few days and just saw this. Feel free to PM me. It all depends on what you want. With Snowbasin also in the mix, staying in SLC may be a good idea.

IMHO it depends on what kind of experience you want and your budget. Goldminer's is pretty old and rustic for the price, but IIRC you do get some meals. The Cliff was just redone and is nice. More options at Snowbird, but the food is meh.

gladerider

An important reason to stay slope side; if there is a big dump you can get first tracks, plus if there is to much snow they will close access to the canyon. I was there a few years ago and the canyon was closed for three days due to avalanche danger. We had the place to ourselves.

I would stay at snowbird, there is more to do there.

+1

this was my reason
if it gets dumped and you are not at the base, you may not even be able to get there
I stay at the cliff lodge as well

xwhaler

Booked flights this week. Now just figuring out itinerary. Comes down to 2 nights in Ogden or an extra night in LCC. Plan is set for 6 straight days of skiing at Snowbasin, Alta, Snowbird. Ended up being late January due to logistics

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

Creakyknees

Don't get stuck at the Bottom

I know some people have a different opinion on this but if you go to Utah you need to stay up in one of the two canyons, I prefer Snowbird. I did spend a season working at Snowbird so I'm a little biased to Snowbird.

If you are lucky and get hit with a major snowstorm the road will close up to Snowbird/Alta and it sucks if you are at the wrong end of the road. If you stay at Snowbird all you need to do is wake up in the morning walk over to the Forklift restaurant (with ski equipment on) have a stress free hardy breakfast and get on the tram. No getting up early eating a cold breakfast in the hotel room, getting on the bus and most likely getting to the ski area well after the lifts open. For me it's all about the powder runs and if you are on the first or second tram you will get a few powder runs without the crowds.

I did post a trip report from a few years ago, see the attached link.

Have FUN...........

http://forums.alpinezone.com/showthr...bird-March-1-

xwhaler

Tried to get a regular room at the Cliff Lodge but already sold out. Deciding between goldminers daughter or the cliff club (condos at cliff club) or snowbird Inn. Apres and pool/hot tub access/ambience is a priority

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

jimk

FYI: The hot tub at GMD is fine, but underground with no special ambiance. The apres was mostly in the form of folks hanging around the dining room for an extra long time after dinner (albeit with a fantastic view of High Rustler out the huge windows).

KustyTheKlown

this seems to be an appropriate thread to share that i just pulled the trigger on my always risky but sometimes epic pre x-mas trip. fly in to SLC after work on 12/15, ski 8 days 16-23, fly back on a red eye on the 23rd which lands in NYC at ~6 AM on the 24th. $350 direct on jet blue. got the cheap motel6 in midvale where i've stayed before for solo trips. grimy but cheap and right near the bus to the cottonwoods. figure i will do 3 each at brighton and solitude on max, and then pony up for mid-week liftopia days at alta and snowbird. solo excursion for now, but some friends may join.

also, i'm single now, and i've gone on a few dates with a chick whose parents are full time park city residents, and she talks a real big ski game (has logged a 70 day season, has spent entire seasons living in park city, talks casually about powder and trees and steeps and backcountry and tuckermans [she's from boston originally]). she will probably be out there for at least some overlapping days, so that's someone to ski with, and make sex with, and maybe get to hang at swank park city private home instead of crack motel. '

SNOW BABY SNOW

then i get home and will probably get immediately in the car and go ski the east for x-mas day and the next few days. then i'll probably come back to nyc and see phish or the disco biscuits with friends, unless friends decide to skip jambanding and meet me in new england

That is pretty close to what I am doing only 1/22-1/31. Southwest direct on the way out from Portland and 1 transfer on return for 311 was too good to pass up. Have reservations at Motel6 in Midvale (stayed before) but easy to cancel if friends offer, or something better comes up. I am getting an off airport rental and using public transport for first, second and last days to save 2 days on rentals.

Hoping to ski BC with friends 3/4 of time out there. That is a tough one for a whiskey drinker from sea level.

Besides having great snow on some of the most consistent basis outside British Columbia, it is centrally located with the Sawtooths, Rubies, SW Colorado and Jackson a doable drive if I can catch on with someone going on a trip there.. Worst case scenario, go grab a last minute back country permit in the Grand Canyon and hike around.

KustyTheKlown

that motel6 is a cheap ski god-send. steps from the bus. $48 a night.

what SLC lacks in ski trip charm it more than makes up for with accessibility and inexpensiveness

I've driven up the canyons many times and know its not that crazy, but I'm still reluctant to rent a car without 4wd. and 4wd rentals are prohibitively expensive when travelling alone. id love to have the freedom a car would allow me tho. meh.

Last edited:
Hear you there. What I have done in the past is rent a "midsize" This usually has better traction and safety options. Buy cable chains at Walmart (I find the bungy connectors to be real helpful). Does mean laying on the ground to put them on, but if you do it right they seem ok to 35 or so. I have been able to return them if unused in packaging. Think I am getting $22/day total for SLC

snoseek

Just here to state that I booked my trip back to NH out of SLC next month for a grand total of 226 including taxes. Not sure if that's a non ski season thing or what but for 5 weeks out and direct flights it seems like a steal to me.

xwhaler

Just here to state that I booked my trip back to NH out of SLC next month for a grand total of 226 including taxes. Not sure if that's a non ski season thing or what but for 5 weeks out and direct flights it seems like a steal to me.

I assume one of your legs is the red eye to Boston on Delta or Jet Blue? Def low $ if you go that route.
I'm all in for $347 on Southwest out of Manchester and when you consider 2 free checked bags I consider that pretty good.

Jully

$227 is the Jet Blue non-stop price for their redeye back during ski season right now. Been watching that price wondering when it will go up...

xwhaler

Just booked 4 nights at the Cliff Lodge at Snowbird for late January.
We'll be skiing Alta/Bird on our Mtn Collective pass for 4 days and then heading to Snowbasin for 1.5 days to end the trip.
Really looking fwd to this