• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Staying at Alta or Snowbird?

xwhaler

My brother and I are going to Utah the 3rd week of March on the Mtn Collective pass. I originally wanted to stay in Salt Lake to have the flexibility of the 3 mtns each day + see some of the city.
My brother hated the idea and wants to be slopeside. I'm not going to try to convince him otherwise.

My question is are we better staying at Alta (goldminers daughter?) or at Snowbird?
I've skied both but it was 20 yrs ago before I was 21 so didnt partake in the social scene. We stayed at the Goldminers but dont remember much going on.

BenedictGomez

I originally wanted to stay in Salt Lake to have the flexibility of the 3 mtns each day + see some of the city.
My brother hated the idea and wants to be slopeside. I'm not going to try to convince him otherwise.

More like 7 mountains you can choose from if staying in SLC or SLC suburbs, plus infinitely more dining and recreation choices. I'd invest the time working on your brother.

Or perhaps compromise and stay in Park City, where you can stay slopeside like he wants, but still have tons to do for fun and dining.

TheArchitect

I stayed at GMD last year and it was excellent. Right at the bottom of Collins lift with a great view. The rate was pretty good, IMO and that's before you factor in that breakfast and dinner are included in the rate. The food is very good.

xwhaler

I stayed at GMD last year and it was excellent. Right at the bottom of Collins lift with a great view. The rate was pretty good, IMO and that's before you factor in that breakfast and dinner are included in the rate. The food is very good.

I did notice that about the food included so when combined with the 10% off Mtn Collective deal makes for a pretty appealing option.
I believe breakfast/dinner is included at all 4 of Alta's lodges....the GMD being the most affordable.

tumbler

Did 4 nights at the Cliff Lodge last March and did both Bird and Alta. More pricey but more dining options and free shuttle that runs between all the lodges. All depends on budget and what vibe you are looking for. We liked getting on Peruvian and through the tunnel before many trams had gone up.

heiusa

An important reason to stay slope side; if there is a big dump you can get first tracks, plus if there is to much snow they will close access to the canyon. I was there a few years ago and the canyon was closed for three days due to avalanche danger. We had the place to ourselves.

I would stay at snowbird, there is more to do there.

xwhaler

I'm going to suggest we stay up in LCC Sunday-Thurs then head back to SLC for a couple nights to see the city a bit and get a day or two at Snowbasin

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

benski

I stayed at snowbird this weekend at the Cliffs, and could not work out breakfast. I think the breakfast buffet was really lacking and the only option was slow and really expensive. I feel like everything else was mediocre and expensive, even for a ski area.

Scruffy

I've stayed at The Peruvian and Gold M D, up at Alta, and The Cliff at Snow Bird, and more recently at the Snow Bird Lodge. I've also spent many a time down in Sandy at the Best Western and driven each day up. There is no night life up at the mountain, unless you're satisfied with drinks at a bar and maybe a piano player or solo guitar singer type of act. For me that's perfectly fine, as I'm there to ski. Staying up at Alta at one of the all inclusive lodges is charming, in a old fashion lodge kinda way. The food is included and they might have movie night and such, and the whole thing harkens back to the old days of singular isolated vacation lodges. Down in Snow Bird, there is a "village" concept and several dinning options that are very walkable. Shuttles at Snow Bird will take you up to Alta to dine at the Shaft, or other places. So it's really what you're after and what deal you can make. You can't go wrong either way. As for the skiing, again you can't go wrong either place; they're both awesome.

Quietman

and get a day or two at Snowbasin

Snowbasin is an amazing place, get there if it works for your schedule. My biggest surprise in the area was a day at Dear Valley, it was days after the last storm but the woods were full of knee high+ untracked powder as most skiers there only hit the groomers.

tumbler

I stayed at snowbird this weekend at the Cliffs, and could not work out breakfast. I think the breakfast buffet was really lacking and the only option was slow and really expensive. I feel like everything else was mediocre and expensive, even for a ski area.

Maybe it is different in the summer. During the winter the buffet is excellent with tons of options, we all thought it was very good and a great way to start the day.

Hawk

Here is the deal. If you have a rental car that is good. I would stay at any of the places up the canyon. Goldminers, Peruvian or any of the snowbird properties. What they said above about the canyon closing is true. It happens a lot and you can be shut out. What also happens even if the canyon does not closed is the traffic jam that occurs on the powder days. You will need to be going up the canyon before 7 if you don't want to miss out. IF you are into food, you will want to go down the canyon weather permitting and try some of the restaurants in SLC. The scene has come a long way with some great new places. I think that that mid season the on mountain restaurants are much better than what Benski is saying so that is not a bad option. Also I agree that a trip to Snow Basin is a must do. That place has come a long way with the Olympic build up. Also lots of nooks and crannies to discover. Good skiing.

crank

I have stayed at Snowbird and I felt like the dining options were meh at best. Have heard good things about all the Alta lodges. I like the idea to move to SLC for your Snowbasin days, though it is still over an hour's drive.

BenedictGomez

An important reason to stay slope side; if there is a big dump you can get first tracks, plus if there is to much snow they will close access to the canyon. I was there a few years ago and the canyon was closed for three days due to avalanche danger. We had the place to ourselves.

I imagine that would make for probably the best skiing experience of one's lifetime. I wouldn't plan a vacation around that possibility though, as the odds of what happened to you occurring during the exact timeframe you booked for and having Snowbird to yourself for 3 days are probably 1 in 3,485.

I'm going to suggest we stay up in LCC Sunday-Thurs then head back to SLC for a couple nights to see the city a bit and get a day or two at Snowbasin

There you go. I think you'll all have more fun that way.

My biggest surprise in the area was a day at Dear Valley, it was days after the last storm but the woods were full of knee high+ untracked powder as most skiers there only hit the groomers.

Only skied Deer Valley once, but Lamborghini was advertising there*. This leads me to believe that "snow in the woods" increases in direct proportion to "Lambos at a ski area".

*At least I'm pretty sure it was a placement, as there were 3 Lambos parked at the lodge.

jimk

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

I've got about 25 days in LCC in the last two years spread across several months both seasons and all via commuting up from the valley for the day. There was only one day I was denied access up LCC (1/23/17). This was due to avi danger and actual avalanches on the access road. I skied Snowbird the next day and folks told me that due to the avi danger all ski lifts were closed that day to slopeside guests except for one or two of the smallest/lowest lifts for a few hours (BTW heck of a week, 81 inches in 8 days). I think xwhaler's got a good plan to stay up in the canyon for a few days, then come down to the valley to visit Snowbasin. Something to consider: there are economical hotels 30 minutes away from Snowbasin in Ogden. Some years back we found luxury at the downtown Marriott Ogden (Courtyard now) where the advance-purchase room rate for New Year’s Weekend was only $69 per night. It has beautifully appointed rooms, a concierge desk, ski packages with shuttle service to the slopes, an elegant seafood restaurant/bar, and an attractive indoor pool with hot tub. Ogden boasts a fun central business/dining/shopping district on historic 25th Street with numerous diversions including the state-of-the-art indoor Salomon Recreation Center.

But for others heading to Alta/Bird on a tighter budget, I'd recommend staying in the valley and driving up. Whether you rent an SUV or save by renting a cheap economy car is a tougher call, as cars without 4wd or snow tires where denied access up the road about 20% of my days the last two years. Still, if it’s a big savings on a weekly rental you could ride the bus on snow days or buy some $50 chains for your economy car.