• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Highmout Ski Area

ajl50

Took a trip to Belleayre on 1/12 and jetted over to highmout to check it out:

highmount_lift_and_trail.jpg

sign.jpg

highmount_lift_and_trail_2.jpg

trail_in_the_woods.jpg

highmount_-_we_can_totally_ski_this.jpg

Last edited:

MarkC

After the vday storm there should be some nice lines there with no hiking. A freind of mine used to leave a bike there and shuttle back and forth to belleayre. Real easy to find the access off dear run.

adamti91

Looked pretty spotty from 28 on my way up to Plattekill today, definatley saw a bunch of bare spots. Might be some decent coverage on some trails though...

MarkC

What usually looks bare from a distance is just brush. If you are not fond of the base of your equiptment and dont mind a bit of overgrown whatever it is than it is usually ok. But my idea what is slideable is differnet than most.

MarkC

3 Million buys it.

Not worth it. The lifts are junk, all of the equiptment - rentals, patrol, grooming, etc. has been sold or given away. The lodge is unstable and will need to be rebuilt. And the bottom line is you can not compete with Belleayre. Highmount in any other location would not be a lost ski area.

adamti91

I say Bell buys it, cuts some connecting trails over instead of the planned ones which would destroy the woods runs near Deer Run, and spend the money on next year's proposed new lodge (the bottom lodge...) on a new lift ;-).

Bandit2941

Tony would never go for that. But I like the way you think:)

No, he wouldn't. I've talked to him about it in the past and it's not going to happen. One of the biggest issues has to do with the lack of snowmaking over there, besides the obvious money part of it.

Belleayre's expansion starts with the new discovery lodge for next year, followed by a high speed 6 pack replacing the twin double chairs, and going through the current parking lot to above chair 7. Don't know the time table on this though......