• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Signs that Ski Season is getting closer

dlague

3 boys and do the seasonal rentals. Key is to do the rental at a shop where you ski so when there is an issue with the boot the shop can make adjustments. Don't be bummed when the adjustable poles break or you see your son bashing them against a frozen tree, the kids put a beating on the poles. Even more common is that they get taken by another kid by accident. Again local ski shop will just give another set for the rest of the season. Not saying your doing it wrong, just what my experiences have been with 3 boys.

My kids did not use poles until they were around 7 or 8. In fact, I skied without poles while they were learning to reinforce it. I wanted them to work on stance, balance, controlled turns etc. Skiing without poles forces the skier to focus on and master proper turn initiation and form. Look into any ski school guide or ski training for kids and you can read all about it. The mentality, hold off as long as possible. Most young children are not ready in their early skiing year to multi task and think about making proper turns and using the poles at the same time. What results is development of bad habits where poles are just tagging along for the ride so they can be used to push themselves around when they need to. Many ski teams even teach with out poles as well.

Food for thought! This would have been a great thread to start.

tumbler

My kids did not use poles until they were around 7 or 8. In fact, I skied without poles while they were learning to reinforce it. I wanted them to work on stance, balance, controlled turns etc. Skiing without poles forces the skier to focus on and master proper turn initiation and form. Look into any ski school guide or ski training for kids and you can read all about it. The mentality, hold off as long as possible. Most young children are not ready in their early skiing year to multi task and think about making proper turns and using the poles at the same time. What results is development of bad habits where poles are just tagging along for the ride so they can be used to push themselves around when they need to. Many ski teams even teach with out poles as well.

Food for thought! This would have been a great thread to start.

Agreed, mine did not start using poles until about 7 or 8 also. When they are with their ski groups boys tend to be boys and skiing a lot in the woods they get bashed up. They also get around 50 days in a year so their equipment gets heavily used.

Another sign ski season is near- aimless conversations about mundane things like kids poles!

dlague

Agreed, mine did not start using poles until about 7 or 8 also. When they are with their ski groups boys tend to be boys and skiing a lot in the woods they get bashed up. They also get around 50 days in a year so their equipment gets heavily used.

Another sign ski season is near- aimless conversations about mundane things like kids poles!

mundane possibly but pertinent if you have kids - mine are all grow up!

urungus

Glad to hear you liked the Roces---the reviews are nearly unanimously positive so I think I'll be buying some

I got the Roces for my son and they we thought they were great. Really loved how you could adjust the size of the boot after a mid-season growth spurt without having to modify the skis bindings. Unfortunately as of last season his feet got too big for even the largest Roces, so we have gone with the seasonal rental.

jack97

hmm.... maybe its a sign that the season is getting closer given there's a back and forth about kids ski boots.

In terms of adjustable pole, those twist types were good for a couple for a couple of seasons but after some banging around they lose their hold. Never tried a lock type hold since they were not around for kids years ago.

What worked is letting my pre teen to teen use my ski poles, I got short poles, aka "clown poles" for bump skiing. I get whats on sale and use pole adjusters.

pACE2-982992dt.jpg

pACE2-982992dt.jpg
prod_8925225105

xwhaler

hmm.... maybe its a sign that the season is getting closer given there's a back and forth about kids ski boots.

In terms of adjustable pole, those twist types were good for a couple for a couple of seasons but after some banging around they lose their hold. Never tried a lock type hold since they were not around for kids years ago.

What worked is letting my pre teen to teen use my ski poles, I got short poles, aka "clown poles" for bump skiing. I get whats on sale and use pole adjusters.

prod_8925225105
pACE2-982992dt.jpg

pACE2-982992dt.jpg

The poles arrived yesterday and they are a lock type not a twist. Seem pretty rigid.
Last yr's version of these for $23 shipped. I can see how the twist would not hold up over time....we'll see how these do.
Already told my 4.5 yr old they are only for skiing and not to hit his little brother with or scratch up the walls in the house.

https://www.evo.com/ski-poles/k2-sprout-boys

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
ridgid.jpgscott.jpg
My Pole recycle procedure.....$5.00 tent sale scratched up poles with the same diameter of my 1985 Scott grips. Pull off grips,chuck pole in cordless drill, hold sandpaper and turn on drill,remove paint and have nice brushed aluminum finish, insert old grips on poles,repeat .Good for a few more years..

xwhaler

It is getting closer but still 12 more weeks of boating up here so taking advantage of being on the water while we can!
I'm ready for this heat and humidity to end though. Been a very humid summer even if it hasn't been super hot

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

JimG.

Staff member
Just got season passes; Belleayre season passes w/ MAX pass add on. $1596 total for me and my 15 yo. Good deal for a ton of great eastern skiing.

Skiing T minus 90 days.

Dunkin Donuts has begun selling pumpkin flavored coffee, baked goods, and even pumpkin cream cheese.:???:

dlague

A Basin posted this on FB

Don't miss out on our final Yoga Friday of the summer!

and this

Our final Saturday event of the summer season is just around the corner! Our first-ever Local Brew Fest.

and this

Say goodbye to summer with a casual clam bake and lobster boil at A-Basin.