• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Signs that Ski Season is getting closer

granite

Cancel the Appointment now!

In NH, the state gives you a birthday present: pay your town and state excise taxes and get your car inspected during the month that your birthday is in. Every year I put snow tires on my car at the end of September and run them all year. I drive about 50,000 miles a year. The snow tires I put on my car aren't real aggressive, so it's a smooth ride and they don't make a lot of noise. This year and last year I went with a Falken Espia, they still have plenty of tread left, although the front tires were getting cupped.

cdskier

I put mine on as late as I have to and take them off as soon as I can. Snow tires ain't cheap...

The snow tires for my truck are slightly cheaper than the All-seasons I use the rest of the year. But I agree with it making no sense to drive them all year. The rubber compound in the winter tires is so much softer than a/s. Early spring when I still have my snow tires on I can feel a difference and can't wait to switch back once I'm pretty confident I won't hit snow in VT on the roads anymore.

granite

I have better things to do than have tires put on and taken off several times a year. As I said, the snow tires I put on my car aren't that aggressive. They handle fine all year long and are smooth and quiet. I also get brand new snow tires with plenty of tread to start each winter. Sometimes I have to go on dirt roads that can get quite muddy, spring-summer-fall, so its good to have them then too for better traction. It doesn't cost any more, maybe less because I'm not paying to have the tires switched over-mount and balance. It's once a year and done for me and let it snow.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Well, in your case it really would be one more visit to the tire guy. I put a similar amount of miles on my car and typically go five months with snows and seven with summer tires. I usually get about 60k out of the summers and 40k out of the snows. I have a very reasonable mechanic though that only charges $10 a tire for mount and balance or $5 a tire for a swap over. I have dedicated rims for the snows and I only have a FWD car, so aggressive snows are a must for me. Only works out to $40-60 extra per year.

To each their own though

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

granite

Snow tires for trucks and for my front wheel drive car aren't the same. The snow tires I have don't seem to be too soft a compound. I did some research on them, they have pretty good ratings for dry handling. The picture shows them not all that much different then some all season tires. I think they are a great price too for a snow tire.

http://www.falkentire.com/tires/passenger-car-tires/espia-epz-ii-tire

Attachments

• SAM_6375.jpg
    SAM_6375.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 82
  • SAM_6376.jpg
    SAM_6376.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 82

BenedictGomez

I put mine on as late as I have to and take them off as soon as I can. Snow tires ain't cheap...

Same.

I typically put my snows on in December and off post my last VT ski trip, late March to mid April depending.

They'll last for years.

I agree with it making no sense to drive them all year.

In addition to the other reasons already mentioned for it making no sense, cumulatively it's a big waste of gas.

granite

It would take more gas for me to drive to and from the tire shop two or three times a year to have my tires changed over than any minuscule gas mileage savings I would get from running all season tires for half a year. In addition, I wouldn't wait around for them to change the tires over, I would have my wife drive another car and take me back home. Then have her drive me back to the shop again later. That's a waste of gas. The other thing the critics are forgetting is my time. I not going to waste my time going to and from the tire shop two or three times a year. One and done for me, a nice-smooth-quiet non-aggressive snow tire for me works fine-no problems. Plus, you won't see me getting caught in a sudden early season snow storm; and how many of you haven't gotten around to switching your tires and then all of sudden it's too late and your stuck in a storm with your worn all seasons?

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
It would take more gas for me to drive to and from the tire shop two or three times a year to have my tires changed over than any minuscule gas mileage savings I would get from running all season tires for half a year. In addition, I wouldn't wait around for them to change the tires over, I would have my wife drive another car and take me back home. Then have her drive me back to the shop again later. That's a waste of gas. The other thing the critics are forgetting is my time. I not going to waste my time going to and from the tire shop two or three times a year. One and done for me, a nice-smooth-quiet non-aggressive snow tire for me works fine-no problems. Plus, you won't see me getting caught in a sudden early season snow storm; and how many of you haven't gotten around to switching your tires and then all of sudden it's too late and your stuck in a storm with your worn all seasons?

Yup, snow in August in New England....Lol We are not gonna change your mind, so never mind.

cdskier

I generally try to time my tire changeover to coincide with an oil change...so no extra trips are involved at all.

thebigo

...FROST ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 2 AM TO 8 AM EDT FRIDAY...

The National Weather Service in Gray has issued a Frost Advisory,
which is in effect from 2 AM to 8 AM EDT Friday.

* Temperatures...In the mid 30s.

* Timing...Late tonight and early Friday morning.

* Impacts...Outdoor plants may be killed if left unprotected.