• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Signs that Ski Season is getting closer

dlague

Well it may seem odd that on August 1st this post would have anything worth while, however, there have been several events already.

1. whaler has been trip planning
2. passes have arrived in the mail
3. ski movie trailers are coming out
4. Colorado Ski Country USA announced the availability of the Gems Card $25 (16 two fers or 8 30% off)
5. The 5th and 6th grade passports Registration is open in Colorado soon to be followed by VT, NH and NY
6. Ads for lodging deals for the next season are popping up
7. Best of all, gear is starting to roll in

dlague

Well technically the 2017 season isnt over yet since Mammoth is still running 7 days a week.

True for about 4 more days! But Mammoth's closing it not stopping the preseason marketing, sales and planning. Even SkiNH has their 2017-2018 links set up for the 4th and 5th grade passports as well as discounted lift tickets but there is not real content.

Last edited:

cdskier

I saw a billboard for Whiteface on the NJ Turnpike last week (although to be fair it is possible it is there all year round).

Jully

I saw a billboard for Whiteface on the NJ Turnpike last week (although to be fair it is possible it is there all year round).

I think I saw the same billboard a little over a month ago when I was down in NJ visiting family. Might be there year round sadly.

dlague

And the count downs are starting

Back to school? More like back to snow! We’re officially 100 days away from Keystone’s Opening Day!

and on Lovelands Website - less than 60 days for snow making

lovelandCD.png

cdskier

And the count downs are starting

and on Lovelands Website - less than 60 days for snow making

I've seen several posts on Facebook about countdowns to snowmaking recently (probably from either Killington or Ski The East)

xwhaler

So far this week I've taken delivery of new goggles for myself, new ski pants for my oldest son, adjustable poles for him.
About to pull the trigger on some Roces adjustable ski boots as well. Now is a great time to buy the gear with all the sales going on.

jack97

About to pull the trigger on some Roces adjustable ski boots as well. Now is a great time to buy the gear with all the sales going on.

Nah.... pull the trigger on the demo bindings.

/sarc

btw, cool idea. There have been many days that was cut short because the feet was getting sore.

Bostonian

Out in the backyard I saw my first sign of fall foliage!

20525898_10154825033587963_3804083694301871796_n.jpg

jack97

The Roces are kids boots. Seems like a nice concept. We have two boys so can get multiple yrs out of these

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

Do the seasonal rental of boots, skis and poles.

Yep the Roces are for kids, I think its great. They introduced them to this country ~ 8 years ago and its still going strong. Something to be said for that. From my experience, getting them adjusted through out the season is key. My daughter had growth spurts that sometimes happened from the beginning to end of the season. And getting them fitted at the beginning of the season was always a hassle since the ski shops are always swamped with rentals from Oct to Nov and then you have to go from shop to shop if you can't get the right fit.

If you have multiple kids then its a bigger savings, imo.

Last edited:

jack97

^^ Needless to say or perhaps I should say. When parents buy or rent boots before the season, they go for something on the tad bigger size and hope the kids feet will grow into that size by mid to late season. So the boots are never quite the right fit and with either the banging going on or the tight squeeze, the feet will get sore quick.

Anyone parents who claims they never had this problem, I'll call bs.

dlague

Do the seasonal rental of boots, skis and poles.

Agree!

At Benson's in Derry, NH We did this with our kids up to like 10 years old.

JUNIOR SKI PACKAGES
– New Ski Lease (Shaped):
Includes skis, boots and bindings $159.00 (new)
– Used Ski Lease (Shaped):
Includes Boots, bindings and professionally tuned skis $109.00

xwhaler

I've looked into the seasonal leases and like the idea but with 2 boys it makes much more sense for us to buy our equipment.
Last week I got adjustable poles for $23 that my sons can use for probably 10 yrs between them. The boots for $100 will last probably 2 maybe 3 yrs per kid. The skis are about $100 and last 2 yrs per kid.

I have friends I can hand the gear down to after I'm done as well so I'd rather have my own stuff.....makes for having the UPS truck show up really exciting for the boys as well!

xwhaler

Yep the Roces are for kids, I think its great. They introduced them to this country ~ 8 years ago and its still going strong.

Glad to hear you liked the Roces---the reviews are nearly unanimously positive so I think I'll be buying some

tumbler

3 boys and do the seasonal rentals. Key is to do the rental at a shop where you ski so when there is an issue with the boot the shop can make adjustments. Don't be bummed when the adjustable poles break or you see your son bashing them against a frozen tree, the kids put a beating on the poles. Even more common is that they get taken by another kid by accident. Again local ski shop will just give another set for the rest of the season. Not saying your doing it wrong, just what my experiances have been with 3 boys.