Please help Black Mountain of Maine Community Ski Resort - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I was going to post here to say that I think this is a bit of an overreaction to a possible revenue stream for a struggling ski area but after watching that lame footage of Texas wheelchairs matched with that terrible Nu-metal song I felt differently.

Man that looked gay. I bet there were tribal tats for days at that event.

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    I was going to post here to say that I think this is a bit of an overreaction to a possible revenue stream for a struggling ski area but after watching that lame footage of Texas wheelchairs matched with that terrible Nu-metal song I felt differently.

I gotta say the more I read and think about this, the more I'm agreeing with the OP. Yes, it is a revenue stream, but I think the costs really do outweigh the benefits. I hope this doesn't impact anything for next year! At least the trees will be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by JAM614 View Post
    Couple of key points here;

(1) A large portion of the Alpine section is run on natural snow trails. The rest is on snowmaking trails and on an extensive Olympic caliber Nordic course. The latter will need extensive repairs but are less prone to erosion issues.
    (2) The original course was 8 miles long!
    (3) The next race will be re-routed on additional natural snow trails, expanding the damage.
    (4) The first race saw near 30 machines doing as many as 7 laps on the gas and spinning tires. Many of which are 1000 cc and turbo charged machined that can rip down to rock with ease.
    (5) The second race could see a huge increase in registrations because frankly, where else can you do this in an Alpine setting without someone getting upset? A private land owner would never allow this to happen.

The cost just don't outweigh the benefits. This issue was so contentious that several of the board members resigned. Speaks volumes.
    The natural snow trails really do it for me. BMOM just doesn't get enough snowfall or at least not enough snowfall quickly enough to have those trails open for long!

It's like the fruit booting (skiboards) of motor sports. No matter how hard the music and good the editing is you can't make it look cool.

Take a lap

tried to nuke thread, but can't so minimizing my posts.
    Last edited by Cat in January; Aug 13, 2017 at 5:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post

Basically my reaction. Usually I'm all about redneck sports and maybe if they were riding 3 wheelers I'd be all about it. These souped up SUVs are a completely unneeded development in the world of racing. Been to hill climbs years ago and they weren't riding these things. It was just about tearing up one slope, not wrecking a whole mountain.

Environmental and snowmaking concerns Trump this pointless dirt race.
    2016/2017: * = powder day
    Berkshire East [January 16, February 10]
    Bolton Valley [January 1, February 5*, February 19]
    Burke [December 17*, January 28*]
    Heavenly [March 5*, March 11]
    Jay Peak [January 29*, April 9]
    Jiminy Peak [November 26]
    Killington [December 4, December 10, April 8*, April 15]
    Kirkwood [March 8]
    Mad River Glen [February 25]
    Magic [February 13*]
    Mt Rose [March 7*]
    Mountain Snow [April 3]
    Northstar [March 10]
    Okemo [November 23]
    Pico [January 7*, February 18, March 19]
    Smuggler’s Notch [January 22]
    Stratton [February 4]
    Stowe [January 21]
    Sugarbush [January 2]
    Telluride [March 27, March 28*]
    Whiteface [February 12]

Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by slatham View Post
    Playing devils advocate......

"It is a community owned mountain for skiers." or is it "A community owned mountain for the COMMUNITY?".......
    My $.01_guess is that possibly many of the participants & rest of families come from afar???.....makes for quite a few Q7s in the parking lot. Can see it now...dear old Mommy & Dad willing to bag the Cat while she tries to catch up on Biathlon skills(with real ammo shooting out all the little Jimmys' tires = one of Cat's closet activities) while their little Jimmy's are digging ditches in the mountain. Think I'm with ya' but bottom line for smaller mountain operations, or sometimes more accurate = management.......is $$, no matter how little.
    Last edited by bigbog; Aug 9, 2017 at 7:23 PM.
    SteveD

Quote Originally Posted by bdfreetuna View Post
    Basically my reaction. Usually I'm all about redneck sports and maybe if they were riding 3 wheelers I'd be all about it. These souped up SUVs are a completely unneeded development in the world of racing. Been to hill climbs years ago and they weren't riding these things. It was just about tearing up one slope, not wrecking a whole mountain.

Environmental and snowmaking concerns Trump this pointless dirt race.
    +1

Did someone mention that the beginner glade was run through?? That is extremely unfortunate. Was hoping to take my gf in the trees for the first time there next year haha. I hope it is okay.

Thread Information