• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

le Massif, Q city advice

air0rmc

Hello, hope everyone's having a great summer.

I'm looking for a rental during President's week in that area (that sleeps 14). I'm unfamiliar with the skiing, and the area in general. I'm seeking advice on what area to stay in, to centrally located ourselves.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Rich

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

ironhippy

Le Massif is not in Quebec City, it's about 45 - 60 minutes east.
I've skied there, but I have not stayed there, I understand there isn't a whole lot right near the mountain.

Mount Saint Anne (which shares a pass with le Massif) is about 30 minutes east of Quebec City and is near the town of Beapre which has most everything you would need (hotels, restaurants, ski shops etc.)

If you plan on staying at le Massif, plan to more or less take care of yourselves or to travel to a different town for meals/etc.

jimk

I had a nice ski trip to that area about ten years ago during a super snowy Easter week. As IronHippy says, Le Massif is about a one hour drive northeast of Quebec City. MSA is in between the two, about 30 mins northeast of QC. When I went up there I stayed in a motel in downtown QC for a couple nights to sightsee in town, which is a neat place, then we relocated to an apartment near base of MSA, skied two days there and commuted from there to ski two days at Le Massif. There are a lot of accommodations and possible rentals around MSA. But if you want to focus on Le Massif only and stay near there you might want to investigate the town of Baie-St-Paul about five miles further northeast of the Le Massif ski area. It's small, but there is lodging and dining there and it shares the same remote mtn/riverine environment as Le Massif. Let me say that MSA and Le Massif both provide good skiing, but the very close proximity of Le Massif's ski trails to the St Lawrence River was one of the most scenically memorable ski experiences of my life. Stoneham ski area is also near QC. It's smaller and I didn't go there, but it's supposedly well run.
Old trip reports:
http://www.dcski.com/articles/view_article.php?article_id=1145&mode=headlines
http://www.dcski.com/articles/view_article.php?article_id=1123&mode=headlines

Jully

I remember hearing from friends a few years ago that had gone to college in Montreal that the QC area was substantially less English friendly than other parts of Quebec (like around Montreal). When anyone has taken trips to QC for MSA and Le Massif did they run into that? I know the owner of Massif wants to increase the amount of American and other international tourism at the resort.

My information is a little old now, but how did everyone else fare in that region of Quebec?

ironhippy

I remember hearing from friends a few years ago that had gone to college in Montreal that the QC area was substantially less English friendly than other parts of Quebec (like around Montreal). When anyone has taken trips to QC for MSA and Le Massif did they run into that? I know the owner of Massif wants to increase the amount of American and other international tourism at the resort.

My information is a little old now, but how did everyone else fare in that region of Quebec?

If you are in the touristy areas (Mount Saint Anne, Le Massif, Beapre, etc.) everyone will speak English.
You'll have a harder time if you get off the beaten track, but I have been there numerous times and had no issues with language.
The ski hills (and supporting businesses) know they can't survive on French alone.

Jully

If you are in the touristy areas (Mount Saint Anne, Le Massif, Beapre, etc.) everyone will speak English.
You'll have a harder time if you get off the beaten track, but I have been there numerous times and had no issues with language.
The ski hills (and supporting businesses) know they can't survive on French alone.

Okay, that is what I figured, but had never actually spoken to anyone beyond friends who only visited a few times while living in Montreal.

jaytrem

I went all over Quebec last year and can only remember one time having an issue with language. At St. Raymond the ticket seller was trying to explain it might not be worth spending the $5 to ski since they might be shutting down due to the icy mix. Every other time there was always somebody around that could at least translate for me. Also, everyone I met was super friendly. Only one thing you thing you really need to be able to say in French...

Un billet s'il vous plaît.
One lift ticket please.

crank

I've been to the area 4 times. 3 times we stayed near Mont Ste Anne. Lots of condos, hotels, restaurants, groceries etc. The distances in earlier posts are about right. With a large group such as you have this would be your best bet.

The last time I went was a romantic getaway with just 2 of us and we stayed in the old city part of Quebec. It was wonderful and super freaking cold.

Both Ste Anne and Le Massif are big hills with great terrain. Views and food and often conditions are better at Le Massif.

No language problems nor Quebecois attitude problems at all.

Down the hill from le Massif is Baie Saint Paul which is a lovely little town with wonderful food if you want something closer than Quebec City.

Razor

We stayed at the Chalets Montmorency at Mte. Sainte Anne mainly becuase we could bring our dog. Good low key place. Not a far drive to Le Massif. They also have some ski in/out studios at MSA. I'd definitely ski both mountains if you're goin to make the trek.

crank

Yes on above. We have skied both hills every time.

fbrissette

Little to add to the great advice given above. Ste-Anne and Le Massif are two great ski areas. I prefer the Massif for better snow (they get more snow due to local effects and see less skiers) and the amazing views of the St-Lawrence river.

It really depends on the objectives of the trip. If it's skiing only, you may want to rent a cottage somewhere in Charlevoix (try VRBO for example) where you get a short drive to both ski areas. Not much to do, and you should plan on making your own cooking.

If you want to mix skiing with the French culture and history, you should definitely plan a couple of days in Quebec city (try the old Quebec if you can afford it for a short walk to restaurants and all historic viewpoints). As other have mentioned Baie St-Paul is a reasonably good option if you want to ski Le Massif (30 minutes drive max), but that is east of Le Massif, so you will be pretty far from Ste-Anne. The town is not very busy in the winter (compared to summer), but you'll find hotels and restaurants there.

Being from Montreal, I've skied both places numerous times. I go there exclusively for skiing however and my favorite options are:

Ste-Anne: ski in ski out condo (quite a few options)
Massif: Stay either at Petite Rivière St-Francois (2 minutes from le Massif, but at the base, nowadays, most people park at the top to save the extra 30 minutes to the base of the resort) - renting a house or in one of the two motels. For larger groups, rent a big cottage in Charlevoix, on top of the coastal escarpment. Lots of possible options.

tnt1234

Skied Le Massif for the first time last year - it was fantastic.

Snow quality, terrain, crowd levels....everything was great.

Seems to be far enough north that a lot of NE rain events are snow. The folks we spoke with on the lifts said as much - very rarely rains in the winter. Snow stays fresh.

Fantastic tree skiing with an entire side of the mountain dedicated to hike-to side country skiing. Really, awesome place.

We stayed in a hotel at the base of Mount. St. Anne, but locals told us Baie-Saint-Paul was the place we should have stayed for better food and more a town center. but that is farther north - past Le Massif.

granite

If you have the time, spend a day or two in Quebec City, very historic and European feeling. Walk the streets of Old Quebec, some of the oldest streets in North America, walk-xc ski or snow shoe the Plains D'Abraham. Quebecois fare/dinner at the restaurant Aux Anciens Canadiens in a centuries old house.

JimG.

Staff member
I have several trip reports from MSA and Le Massif floating around the ski trip forum from the past 2 years. Trips to Quebec are now a yearly treat for us.

Fully agree with spending time in Quebec city too. That area is on the radar as a place for my wife and I when she retires. I'm ready to go now.

elks

Skied le Massif and St Anne for the first time last year. We really enjoyed our time at the Massif, but found St. Anne less enjoyable (layout, not as scenic, better trees at Le Massif, older amenities, etc.) We stayed at The Germain hotel in Baie St Paul (an easy 25 minutes from the resort). On the nicer side of things as far as accommodations go, but not crazy expensive either. We had a great time there. There are two resorts on site and a bakery. Town center is less than a 10-minute walk. http://www.legermainhotels.com/en/charlevoix/