• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

MAX pass add-on

BeefyBoy50

Hello everyone,

I'm a college student at UPenn and the president of my school's ski team. I helped plan a trip for my team to Brighton, Utah for a winter break trip this year and plan on getting the MAX pass (got an epic local pass, my first ever season pass, last year for our trip to Breckenridge and wound up putting over 25 days on it, so I like the idea). The max pass is 679 and has no discounts for college students. However, I noticed that you can add-on a MAX pass to a participating resort's season pass for 329. Where this gets interesting is that some resorts - Snowshoe for instance - have season passes that are less than 340 dollars. So what I found is that it would be possible, especially with the college student discount, to get a full season pass at Snowshoe or some other resort and MAX pass add-on and pay less money than for a standalone MAX pass. Has anyone else looked into this?

Jully

Be careful that the pass you are buying is max add on eligible. Just because a resort participates in MAX does not mean every pass is add on-able. Look on the MAX website for the exact list of passes available for the add on.

dlague

Hello everyone,

I'm a college student at UPenn and the president of my school's ski team. I helped plan a trip for my team to Brighton, Utah for a winter break trip this year and plan on getting the MAX pass (got an epic local pass, my first ever season pass, last year for our trip to Breckenridge and wound up putting over 25 days on it, so I like the idea). The max pass is 679 and has no discounts for college students. However, I noticed that you can add-on a MAX pass to a participating resort's season pass for 329. Where this gets interesting is that some resorts - Snowshoe for instance - have season passes that are less than 340 dollars. So what I found is that it would be possible, especially with the college student discount, to get a full season pass at Snowshoe or some other resort and MAX pass add-on and pay less money than for a standalone MAX pass. Has anyone else looked into this?

Many have tried to game the system, however, based on what I have seen they set it up to make sure you are not going about equal or more total. For example at Snowshoe - *Only full price Unlimited Passes qualify for the M.A.X. Pass Add-On so - $349 + $329 = $678 and the Maxx Pass is $679 not any significant difference unless you live close to Snowshoe where you can get more than just 5 days.

Jully

Many have tried to game the system, however, based on what I have seen they set it up to make sure you are not going about equal or more total. For example at Snowshoe - *Only full price Unlimited Passes qualify for the M.A.X. Pass Add-On so - $349 + $329 = $678 and the Maxx Pass is $679 not any significant difference unless you live close to Snowshoe where you can get more than just 5 days.

Exactly. Mountain creek had a similar situation last year too where you could save like $10

JimG.

Staff member
Yeah MAX has the cost gaming pretty much worked out to keep folks from effectively saving money by buying a cheap season pass and using the add-on option.

From my perspective, it made sense to buy a Belleayre only season pass because I want to have a local hill I can ski regularly. This way I can ski locally anytime I want and then use the MAX add-on for longer overnight or multiple day trips. I think it will work really well for me.

abc

On their web site, the current price is good till 9/12. Anyone remember by how much they go up on the next step?

Need to sort out if I want to buy a season pass + add-on vs just the plain MAX pass. It depends on my work arrangement, which isn't quite clear yet. So the more time I have before committing, the better. But not at the expense of a massive price hike!

Jully

On their web site, the current price is good till 9/12. Anyone remember by how much they go up on the next step?

Need to sort out if I want to buy a season pass + add-on vs just the plain MAX pass. It depends on my work arrangement, which isn't quite clear yet. So the more time I have before committing, the better. But not at the expense of a massive price hike!

It went up $50 at the last hike. I believe it was $50 for the September hike last year too. Not sure though. Anyone else remember for sure?

p_levert

I don't think it ever said 9/12 on the website. Anyway, as of today, it says there is a $50 increase on 10/10, which is just after the next price bump for the Epic Pass - 10/8.