• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Greek Peak announces massive snowmaking improvements ...

doublediamond

... then deletes the Facebook post!

So here it is:

Skiers & Riders you are about to be more stoked for ski season...we just received our new HKD low energy snowmaking tower guns. This S Valve technology allows for optimal performance in wide variety of temperatures. Fantastic investment in snowmaking to add and replace 33,000 of underground waterline, 21,000 of underground airline and over 300 snow guns to make skiing & riding at GP the best in Central NY. Huge shout out to our owners and team to get this project underway.

Had a photo of delivery of several 30' HKD towers and some sleds and 10' HDKs in front of their lodge.

How ridiculous. I know this is their marketing because they've referenced pipe swaps in years past without mentioning feet. They just give a number like "we're replacing 2000 of pipe." There were lots of people sharing and commenting on the post.

The question is how true is this? Their marketing lies about and oversells upgrades all the time. But 300 guns and 10.3 miles of replaced and additional pipe is a MASSIVE upgrade. I just hope Arcadian Gate gets coverage so we can avoid the death double polling on upper Mars Hill.

My guess? Media blackout. They like to drop their big news through local TV stations for free coverage.

Last edited:

Newpylong

A little shy of $2M just for that pipe and the guns at normal industry prices. Add on welding, any new hydrants, etc on top. That's one big project, especially for a ~1K vert hill.

yeggous

Somebody with views to share should add this to the NMS ski area guide:
http://www.***************************/ski-area-guides/new-york-ski-areas/greek-peak-r73/

The Greek Peak guide could use some contributions from someone who has actually be there.

Jully

Could their numbers of pipe replacements be in a different unit other than feet? Inches? Decimeters?

IceEidolon

Viper sleds, too. That should help all trails, not just the ones with new permanent guns.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

doublediamond

Newpylong, most certainly they'll have to add new hydrants. The current hydrant spacing is a sad 150-200 feet.

skibum636

Looks like they listened to all the long time pass holders that left. They called every one one of them and asked why they left.

doublediamond

They didn't call me. I could have explained to them the snowmaking issues back in Winter '09-'10 when I started skiing the place. Before they went bankrupt.

skibum636

Where did you end up getting a pass for this year? I see they aren't charging the ridiculous "resort" fee on lift tickets this year. But they still have a long way to go before I ever spend another penny there.

doublediamond

Hahahahaha. What a bunch of tools. Fire the whole upper management.

Greek Peak just on facebook:

Today, improvements continue with the goal to get the mountain open sooner with more available trails. Greek Peak Mountain Resort is replacing 750 feet of snowmaking pipe and adding 14 new HKD SV Snow Guns, one SMI Tower Fan, and a Tech Alpine Fan Gun. With these enhancements, Greek Peak will increase 1,000 gallons per minute of snow gun capacity.

Jully

Hahahahaha. What a bunch of tools. Fire the whole upper management.

Greek Peak just on facebook:

Today, improvements continue with the goal to get the mountain open sooner with more available trails. Greek Peak Mountain Resort is replacing 750 feet of snowmaking pipe and adding 14 new HKD SV Snow Guns, one SMI Tower Fan, and a Tech Alpine Fan Gun. With these enhancements, Greek Peak will increase 1,000 gallons per minute of snow gun capacity.

I'm so confused. It's one thing to lie or misrepresent upgrades, it is another to completely contradict a previous announcement two weeks later in the same place you made the first!

skibum636

I'm guessing the marketing department accidentally released a long term plan. Just another example of the poor management and communication at GP. Looks like this years improvements were only for karyatis and the bunny slope. I doubt this will make any noticeable improvement in conditions, even for beginners.

tnt1234

Maybe GP uses a PR firm that handles a few other mountains, and that press release was for a different mountain?

doublediamond

Years ago, they used to contract out their Facebook page (at a very high cost too lol!). After hiring a new marketing director it was run in-house. That marketing manager insisted that it be brought in-house to save money and to update things quicker. That employee has moved on and their Facebook page went back to posting the same images with overlaid text over and over again. I'm guessing their back to that shitty firm again.

doublediamond

More GP fail. Check out their world-class terrain park features! And their impeccable corduroy work!!

uEm01Fg.jpg

skibum636

I'll give them credit, they tried. But then they failed. Hopefully they didn't blow away their snow making budget on this publicity stunt.