• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Attitash (Peak Resorts LTD.) vs. Grand Summit Owners association

Jully

That is a good point. I'm thinking of places like Killington or Mount Snow which don't really have anything around them for people to do outside of using the mountain.

Exactly. For a lot of the resorts with big hotels, the resort is the only game in town, so if there is ANY summer traffic, the hotel can at least compete. The Grand at Attitash can't compete during off seasons and in the ski season there is one of the best ski towns in New England 20 minutes away where you could stay instead.

At first glance a hotel 'just' 20 minutes outside of Conway doesn't sound like a bad idea. Very different in practice though!

Jcb890

Exactly. For a lot of the resorts with big hotels, the resort is the only game in town, so if there is ANY summer traffic, the hotel can at least compete. The Grand at Attitash can't compete during off seasons and in the ski season there is one of the best ski towns in New England 20 minutes away where you could stay instead.

At first glance a hotel 'just' 20 minutes outside of Conway doesn't sound like a bad idea. Very different in practice though!
Agreed, especially with how many lodging options there are in Conway or at least closer than 20 minutes away.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The reality is that the Grand Summit isn't big enough nor nice enough to attract the critical mass of people there to support nice amenities like a good restaurant and spa.

In a way it reminds me of Stowes old hotel at the toll house. It just didn't have the scale to attract many people there outside of the weekends and holidays. Too small to make it work that far from town. Then they build Spruce and it works due to it's size and amenities.

If Attitash built a bunch more lodging at the Bear Peak base, then the Summit could probably support a decent restaurant and re-invest in the health club and Spa.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

Edd

During ski season, I spend the night in Bartlett regularly and it has never occurred to us to go to the Grand Summit for dinner and Matty B’s isn’t a draw for us. Too many good options towards Intervale and Jackson.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

prsboogie

Matty B's is just fine for beers and a pie when I'm staying at AMV, no driving necessary. Plus the pool is in the building as well.

MainerSkiBum

It looks like the Board of Directors for the Summit and Peak have reached an impasse. The Summit BOD has not renewed the agreement with the Peak Past April 30th, 2018 to manage the association. Business as usual until the 30th of April, then it's a mystery as to what the owners will be doing to manage the Summit. They attempted to lease the commercial space owned by Attitash, but could not come up with the security amount requested by Peak and disagreed on the amount requested. Looks like without an agreement to manage the whole place, Peak is not interested in supporting the amenities at the Summit after the 30th. No group space, no F&B. Just a condo hotel with a pool. Peak did try to buy units, not in a sneaky way as the BOD has a first right of refusal to buy the units before any sale. The BOD did not want to buy units and were in fear of Peak buying units so they are attempting to stop the sale. Crazy as many owners want to sell and their are hardly any buyers for 1/4 share anymore. If you have read Ski Inc. (https://www.amazon.com/SKI-INC-ski-resort-entrepreneurs-mega-companies-ebook/dp/B01N2X7K6J) it describes how the quarter share concept of the Grand Summit Chain partly was responsible for bringing down American Ski Corp. Some are doing well, like Park City, other are struggling....

I have been a former owner at the Summit and Guest, I hope the BOD and Peak can work together, as it would be a shame for the Summit to collapse into financial ruin...

machski

It looks like the Board of Directors for the Summit and Peak have reached an impasse. The Summit BOD has not renewed the agreement with the Peak Past April 30th, 2018 to manage the association. Business as usual until the 30th of April, then it's a mystery as to what the owners will be doing to manage the Summit. They attempted to lease the commercial space owned by Attitash, but could not come up with the security amount requested by Peak and disagreed on the amount requested. Looks like without an agreement to manage the whole place, Peak is not interested in supporting the amenities at the Summit after the 30th. No group space, no F&B. Just a condo hotel with a pool. Peak did try to buy units, not in a sneaky way as the BOD has a first right of refusal to buy the units before any sale. The BOD did not want to buy units and were in fear of Peak buying units so they are attempting to stop the sale. Crazy as many owners want to sell and their are hardly any buyers for 1/4 share anymore. If you have read Ski Inc. (https://www.amazon.com/SKI-INC-ski-resort-entrepreneurs-mega-companies-ebook/dp/B01N2X7K6J) it describes how the quarter share concept of the Grand Summit Chain partly was responsible for bringing down American Ski Corp. Some are doing well, like Park City, other are struggling....

I have been a former owner at the Summit and Guest, I hope the BOD and Peak can work together, as it would be a shame for the Summit to collapse into financial ruin...
Sorry to hear this, the Grand Summit and Jordan at SR seem to be doing well. I have never heard that about the quarter share hotels being a major factor in ASC's failure. And they sure as heck are not the only resort company to have had Quarter Share hotels (most of New England has examples at many resorts).

Hope things work out.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

mbedle

The hotel is not owned by the resort, just operated by the resort. The homeowners association canceled their contract with the resort to operate the hotel. That is the reason that the weddings were cancel. They were booked through the resort.

sull1102

Wow, cancelling ten weddings like that is going to cost them a good bit, but the perception of it is much worse. How did the relationship break down to this point that the hotel is essentially done being a part of the ski area?

Sent from my LG-H820 using AlpineZone mobile app

drjeff

Wow, cancelling ten weddings like that is going to cost them a good bit, but the perception of it is much worse. How did the relationship break down to this point that the hotel is essentially done being a part of the ski area?

Association internal politics can always be a dicey situation!! I'm guessing that on some levels that has been a major player in this.....

Smellytele

60-40 on rentals - Where you lose money if you rent out your condo. Also does the maintenance fee go to Peaks or to the association who then gives a certain amount to peaks? Who is responsible for upkeep (remodels/upgrades not housekeeping) of the property, peaks or the association?

mbedle

Go to the owners website and check out the court documents. It lays out a pretty bad battle between Peak and the HOA.

xlr8r

It is amazing how far Attitash has fallen since the ASC buildup. Do they get even half the visitors they used to, Peaks just doesn't care. One of the advantages the place had was the Grand Summit and now they have ruined that too.

sull1102

We used to go to Attitash all the time as kids, mainly in summer for the water park, it was a must along with Storyland. Most areas now have some summer component to them so I imagine that business has been slipping of late. Have they done anything at all since they bought the place? I know they reconfigure a triple over on Bear Peak, but that plus losing the Grand Summit relationship seems like a major net loss. Add in complaints from the Crotched crowd, Sneaux not making any Sneaux this week when even Magic turned the guns on... Teh haps?