• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

? about Sunday River Glades in February

I am planning a skimo race for Black Mountain of Maine and have been given the date of February 10. BMOM, as most of you who read the board know, best terrain is its glades and I am planning to run the race down them.

If Sunday River Glades are mostly open Blacks will be open too. Last year would have been great from Christmas on. 2016 probably never would have been good on any date to run a race down mostly glade runs.

Early/mid February should usually be good for going through the glades at Sunday River right-not epic all the time, but 75% of glades open seem more likely than not to those folks who are regular skiers of the glades? Oui/Non?

Last edited:

Smellytele

Those would be good dates. The 24th is still part of vacation (end of Mass start of NH, not sure for ME) but at BoM it may not be an issue.

No, I had too many words in my mouth. Wife cuts me off when I do that talking. your comment was spot on

edit: just realized the time stamp is wacked here

mbedle

LOL - I know the feeling. Other half just tells me to shut up sometimes... I can ramble like the best of them.

shwilly

Generally SR's glades should be good then. Like anything in New England, it depends on that week's weather. If I recall correctly, things were good at the beginning of last February, then it melted down for a week or so in the middle of the month, then it got good again. I'm not 100% sure on that timing, though.

dlague

What is the liability for running a race through a gladed area? Better not f up and get too much speed and catch an edge - toast! Maybe I am picturing this wrong?

Yeah running a race through glades does give me some pause. Hopefully folks are spaced out enough (climb, open run, climb) before the first glade section. Racers are supposed to follow the skiers code. Glades have been used at Jay in the past. Appreciate responses