• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Burnt Mountain Cat skiing

deadheadskier

Staff member
Deadhead, I think those are all good ideas but it is going to hard to beat the Slidebrook area of Sugarbush or what Stove has on multiple areas as the best experience in the east. We will see.

I called Stowe home for numerous years. The acreage of Bunt / Bracket exceeds that of what's beyond Chin Clip including the Chin at least as far out as Hell Brook. It's a massive area. I haven't done it, but I'd imagine the hike up Burnt is about the same as doing the Chin. The lines of the Chin are pretty gnarly between Hour Glass and some of the North Face stuff. Not sure Burnt can match that, but it does appear to have many more options to ski with a similar above tree line like experience. But overall, having a T-Bar return like I've suggested would really make for better access and ability to spend more time skiing than what you have to do with the skate down 108 at Stowe or grabbing a shuttle bus like you do after skiing Slidebrook.

"Best" is always a personal preference though. Call it "one of the best" I guess. It's a pretty great skiing experience that would really be elevated if they figure out how to be able to access more vertical down low without it being a pain in the ass to get out of there like it currently is.

deadheadskier

Staff member
My only concern with DHS' T-Bar idea is that you would have to block off the lift line. That could interfere with Bracket to very base runs if someone wanted to. Arguably very flat but the position of a T-Bar or any surface lift is critical. Have to make sure it won't F-up any lines. That's the nice thing about the cats, no restrictions on skiing across the cat road.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

good point. Maybe a double chair then?

When Bracket first went in, I had visions of them moving the old Bucksaw double out there to help improve some of the access a bit. Then replacing Bucksaw with a higher capacity lift to take some of the pressure off the Superquad.

tnt1234

So bummed my only time at Sugarloaf was two years ago in that crap winter. really wanted to try brackets.

not sure when I'll ever get back there. Was a pretty depressing vacation, so place has negative connotations for the family now!

KustyTheKlown

^I could write the same exact post man. my only time there was x-mas weekend a few years ago. it had NUKED in maine all week and rained on Vermont. I drove solo thru the night to sugarloaf and as I drove it began raining on maine, and snowing in Vermont. after an icy bulletproof day at the loaf (my only day there ever), I saw that jay was getting 2 feet overnight. I went to bed at 6 PM, set an alarm for 3 AM, got in the car to go to jay, and flipped and totalled my ride on a moose around sunrise in island pond Vermont. getting home was a major pain in the ass.

Newpylong

good point. Maybe a double chair then?

When Bracket first went in, I had visions of them moving the old Bucksaw double out there to help improve some of the access a bit. Then replacing Bucksaw with a higher capacity lift to take some of the pressure off the Superquad.

The Bucksaw or most parts of it is now at the NYS Fairgrounds. Skytrans bought the lift from the Loaf when they took it out.

JimG.

Staff member
So bummed my only time at Sugarloaf was two years ago in that crap winter. really wanted to try brackets.

not sure when I'll ever get back there. Was a pretty depressing vacation, so place has negative connotations for the family now!

Hate to hear this; hard to judge any ski area when conditions suck.

My first time at SL was very disappointing. It poured rain for 2 days before I arrived and then temps plummeted and the place was a skating rink. It was late March so there was no more snowmaking. The only skiing really available was on groomed snow. I was hard pressed to not feel totally bored and wound up leaving 2 days early when snow started to move in that then quickly changed over to downpours. I vowed to never waste my time (8 hour drive each way) on a return trip.

I've been back twice since and both trips featured excellent snowfall and great tree skiing. Planning a trip there this coming season since 5 days there are part of my MAX add-on.