Burnt Mountain Cat skiing - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Smellytele View Post
    Hopefully it is only for a few years and they use the money to put in a t-bar
    I mentioned in another ski forum my preference for a T-Bar out there, but only to get back to the base of King Pine. Make all the Upper Burnt stuff still hike/skin to terrain. The idea I have in mind is on the image below. T-Bar being the red line. The orange line is a well marked traverse bringing people skiing the outer reaches of Burnt back to the lift so they don't get stuck having to go down to the lower condos and slog across parking lots back to the base area.

Other than that, the one thing I'd like to see (and environmentalists would probably shoot me) is a better designed entrance consisting of a cat track about 8-10 feet wide heading out into Bracket. As it currently is developed, there's just a bunch of single tracks of various levels that get you out to the initial Can't Dog glades and the ones beyond it that I can't recall the names. It all gets bony in a hurry and you end up getting stuck behind people flailing while trying to ski out there. It's a total mess on a busy day. Set it up so that there's room for people to stop and contemplate their line while leaving room for people to ski on past them. (Blue Line)

These ideas combined is what I think would make Bracket truly shine as the best side country ski resort experience in the East.

Bracket.jpg

I agree that something needs to be done about the entrance. too many rocks, roots, people crashed and no place to stop when they do. Very sketchy.
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    These ideas combined is what I think would make Bracket truly shine as the best side country ski resort experience in the East.

Bracket.jpg
    Deadhead, I think those are all good ideas but it is going to hard to beat the Slidebrook area of Sugarbush or what Stove has on multiple areas as the best experience in the east. We will see.

I agree that something needs to be done about the entrance. too many rocks, roots, people crashed and no place to stop when they do. Very sketchy.
    Isn't it supposed to be a challenge to ski "side country" terrain ?

Quote Originally Posted by WWF-VT View Post
    The issue is that the section is flat . It is like skiing on a stone wall. it fucks up your skis and doesn't really stop people from going in there. it really doesn't matter what your "skill level" is, it will fuck up your skis and could hurt you.
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days

The issue is that the section is flat . It is like skiing on a stone wall. it fucks up your skis and doesn't really stop people from going in there. it really doesn't matter what your "skill level" is, it will fuck up your skis and could hurt you.
    Not sure what section you're talking about, but I know a lot of people complain about "rocks" near the top of Bracket and they are actually stumps. Still annoying and bad for your skis, but not AS bad for your skis as rocks would be.

I mentioned in another ski forum my preference for a T-Bar out there, but only to get back to the base of King Pine. Make all the Upper Burnt stuff still hike/skin to terrain. The idea I have in mind is on the image below. T-Bar being the red line. The orange line is a well marked traverse bringing people skiing the outer reaches of Burnt back to the lift so they don't get stuck having to go down to the lower condos and slog across parking lots back to the base area.

Other than that, the one thing I'd like to see (and environmentalists would probably shoot me) is a better designed entrance consisting of a cat track about 8-10 feet wide heading out into Bracket. As it currently is developed, there's just a bunch of single tracks of various levels that get you out to the initial Can't Dog glades and the ones beyond it that I can't recall the names. It all gets bony in a hurry and you end up getting stuck behind people flailing while trying to ski out there. It's a total mess on a busy day. Set it up so that there's room for people to stop and contemplate their line while leaving room for people to ski on past them. (Blue Line)

I like your ideas DHS. I also think these additions and the cats are not mutually exclusive. I like keeping the summit of Burnt as a hike to only. That is also why I'm not incredibly upset by the cats in the first place as they are terminating a decent ways below the summit.

The area is so massive, the map hardly does it justice. The cats and even a T-bar would add so little to the overall remote feel of the place. I think it'll be many years before we see additions beyond the cats though. They will want to run those by themselves to see just how popular they are/can become.

Quote Originally Posted by Jully View Post
    Not sure what section you're talking about, but I know a lot of people complain about "rocks" near the top of Bracket and they are actually stumps. Still annoying and bad for your skis, but not AS bad for your skis as rocks would be.
    There is rocks and roots and stumps

Quote Originally Posted by WWF-VT View Post
    I was only referring to the traverse out. As it is currently constructed, it cannot handle the volume of skiers that head out there on a busy day. Even during a great winter like last one, it gets skied down to rocks and stumps and ends up being littered with people either falling or stopping to pick their line. All I'm talking about is making the beginning few hundred yards of the traverse wide enough so that people can stop and still allow room for folks to pass who wish to traverse out further.

Bracket.jpg
    My only concern with DHS' T-Bar idea is that you would have to block off the lift line. That could interfere with Bracket to very base runs if someone wanted to. Arguably very flat but the position of a T-Bar or any surface lift is critical. Have to make sure it won't F-up any lines. That's the nice thing about the cats, no restrictions on skiing across the cat road.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Thread Information