From Denver to Vail in 9 minutes - Page 4

AlpineZone

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DoublePlanker View Post
    "The Hyperloop white paper suggests that US$20 of each one-way passenger ticket between Los Angeles and San Francisco would be sufficient to cover initial capital costs"

So probably additional cost for operations, maintenance, etc.

This hyperloop would need a tunnel using new Boring Company technology to get the cost down.
    Bargain. I guess the volume would be really high. They also proposed using it for freight.

Quote Originally Posted by p_levert View Post
    You're talking US285 to Fairplay, right? Don't a few hundred thousand other people get the same idea when I70 is bad? I dunno, seems too obvious.
    Not for me I live in Colorado Springs so 24->9 never any traffic and generally going 65-70 mph except through towns
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by p_levert View Post
    I don't know if this thing is realistic or not. But are politicians in CO actually working on solutions to the I70 traffic problems? You know, things like tunnels, adding lanes, another interstate, etc. Cuz the problem is there and it's only getting worse as Denver grows and grows.
    Any traffic engineer or city planner understands the idea of Induced Demand and that simply adding another lane increases the traffic amount to fill that lane, basically doing nothing. The solution here is alternatives to I70, not adding more lanes. Although the hyperloop seems like a stretch, a train from Denver to Dillion/Silverthorne that runs regularly and is actually fast would work wonders.

Quote Originally Posted by gregnye View Post
    a train from Denver to Dillion/Silverthorne that runs regularly and is actually fast would work wonders.
    The Winter Park ski train last year was tremendously successful (or so I've heard). I would really love to see more of those get put together/made easier to use or more affordable. Back east the Amtrak technically goes to Killington, but doesn't seem great and also doesn't work from Boston.

Sadly back east, the demand doesn't seem to be there. Out west I think the demand may well be there. Just takes someone with the money, influence, and the guts to try and put something together.

Duplicate post

Quote Originally Posted by Jully View Post
    The Winter Park ski train last year was tremendously successful (or so I've heard). I would really love to see more of those get put together/made easier to use or more affordable. Back east the Amtrak technically goes to Killington, but doesn't seem great and also doesn't work from Boston.

Sadly back east, the demand doesn't seem to be there. Out west I think the demand may well be there. Just takes someone with the money, influence, and the guts to try and put something together.
    as many have mentioned here, a) the train is simply way too slow to ever compete with driving, and once at the station (rutland), you need to get to the resort, then once at the resort, you're stuck with walking or whatever shuttle service is available. if they could ever speed up the service (doubtful) it would be an easier sell. as it is right now it is just basic, slow, public transportation for people trying to get to and from VT.

a true weekender ski train in the model of colorado's that ran non-stop or limited stop (new haven, hartford, springfield) with dedicated tour buses and baggage handlers to get passengers from rutland up to killington might succeed

The killington to NYC train runs along the shore of the Hudson river so its a very scenic route. I have never taken the train north of Rhine beck/kingston.

The killington to NYC train runs along the shore of the Hudson river so its a very scenic route. I have never taken the train north of Rhine beck/kingston.

Quote Originally Posted by benski View Post
    it's a nice ride...we did the adirondak to montreal, and then a canadian train out to gaspe once...great trip

Quote Originally Posted by spring_mountain_high View Post
    as many have mentioned here, a) the train is simply way too slow to ever compete with driving, and once at the station (rutland), you need to get to the resort, then once at the resort, you're stuck with walking or whatever shuttle service is available. if they could ever speed up the service (doubtful) it would be an easier sell. as it is right now it is just basic, slow, public transportation for people trying to get to and from VT.

a true weekender ski train in the model of colorado's that ran non-stop or limited stop (new haven, hartford, springfield) with dedicated tour buses and baggage handlers to get passengers from rutland up to killington might succeed
    Exactly. I'd love to have that back here. WP's train literally stops slopeside, and none of the big areas back east have that (though Attitash has tracks running right in front of Bear Peak). I'm not sure how much of a deterrent shuttle bus rides are.

Repeating the WP model elsewhere in Colorado could work too. Driving to ski areas is just not the ideal way of travel for day trippers, IMO. Roads can be a little more impacted by snow and the experience can SUCK with traffic, you can't drink too much, and you can be super tired while driving home after a really good day.

Thread Information