From Denver to Vail in 9 minutes - Page 5

AlpineZone

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 62
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Jully View Post
    Exactly. I'd love to have that back here. WP's train literally stops slopeside, and none of the big areas back east have that (though Attitash has tracks running right in front of Bear Peak). I'm not sure how much of a deterrent shuttle bus rides are.



    Repeating the WP model elsewhere in Colorado could work too. Driving to ski areas is just not the ideal way of travel for day trippers, IMO. Roads can be a little more impacted by snow and the experience can SUCK with traffic, you can't drink too much, and you can be super tired while driving home after a really good day.
    Are there busses from Denver?

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by benski View Post
    The killington to NYC train runs along the shore of the Hudson river so its a very scenic route. I have never taken the train north of Rhine beck/kingston.
    My cousin has used Amtrak a few times to get to his lake house on Lake George as a last resort. He lives in NYC and there is a station 20 mins from his house. But it is VERY expensive at $69 1-way. It also takes almost 5 hrs.
    The Rutland line is even worse. $73 1-way per person, and leaves at 3:15PM. So only useable for a weekend+. But at those rates I would think a car rental would be cheaper and faster.

    Sent from my SM-G930F using AlpineZone mobile app
    104(12/13)
    105
    (13/14)
    48(14/15)
    35(15/16)
    50(16/17)
    Rossi Soul 7 w/ Marker F12 (188 ) FOR SALE!
    Stockli Stormrider w/ Look PX 12 (177)

  3. #43
    Smellytele's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Right where I want to be
    Posts
    5,728
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkshot99 View Post
    My cousin has used Amtrak a few times to get to his lake house on Lake George as a last resort. He lives in NYC and there is a station 20 mins from his house. But it is VERY expensive at $69 1-way. It also takes almost 5 hrs.
    The Rutland line is even worse. $73 1-way per person, and leaves at 3:15PM. So only useable for a weekend+. But at those rates I would think a car rental would be cheaper and faster.

    Sent from my SM-G930F using AlpineZone mobile app
    You could fly to Burlington from NYC for the same price or 100 more to Rutland on Lebanon
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by benski View Post
    Are there busses from Denver?
    Lots of buses, yeah. Helps somewhat, but trains are wayyy more comfortable that buses IMO.

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Smellytele View Post
    You could fly to Burlington from NYC for the same price or 100 more to Rutland on Lebanon
    Exactly, train tickets are idiotic and unfeasible right now in the US for things like Amtrak (with a few exceptions)

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Jully View Post
    Exactly, train tickets are idiotic and unfeasible right now in the US for things like Amtrak (with a few exceptions)
    Yeah, I dont get it.

    When I lived in Manhattan I'd take the train on business trips to Boston and D.C. Those are a few of the convenient routes in your "exceptions" list, but other than that, I really don't understand trains. I've heard it's a pretty miserable experience taking either a train or a bus long distance (tons of stops, takes HOURS longer than it should, etc...), so fortunately I've never had the pleasure.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC



  7. #47
    x10003q's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Bergen County, NJ
    Posts
    589
    When we lived in Manhattan, we looked at the train option. Trying to maneuver ski equipment around Manhattan at rush hour is a disaster. Trying to do it with the wife and kid(s) is an even bigger disaster. As mentioned, you are limited when you can leave, you end up in Rutland around 11pm, at least 1/2 hour or more from your lodging. Then, you need to have slopeside lodging or hope you are on the shuttle in order to get to the skiing. Then you have to deal with the reverse on Sunday.

    It might work if you own or rent a slope side place and/or can leave a car if you are off the mountain. Your ski equipment has to stay in VT. If you live almost anywhere in the NY Metro area suburbs, the train does not work.

    When we left NYC in a car by 3pm, we would easily get to our Killington lodging by 9pm including rush hour thru NJ and a stop for dinner. Plus, with 2 or 3 in the car it was much cheaper than the train/shuttle to the mountain costs.

    The only way the train might work - if there was a station at the base of the mountain and it got you there in 3 hours.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Yeah, I dont get it.

    When I lived in Manhattan I'd take the train on business trips to Boston and D.C. Those are a few of the convenient routes in your "exceptions" list, but other than that, I really don't understand trains. I've heard it's a pretty miserable experience taking either a train or a bus long distance (tons of stops, takes HOURS longer than it should, etc...), so fortunately I've never had the pleasure.
    it only makes sense if you go first class with a bedroom and diner car meals included, and view it as a leisurely experience, not as a means to get somewhere efficiently. wife and i did a cross country amtrak trip from PHL to SF in 2006. first leg was to chicago overnight, leaving philly in the afternoon. we decided to try the night in coach since it was just one night. would not do again. basically like riding a slow greyhound bus on rails. got into chicago 5 hours late and missed most of a cubs game.

    the leg from chi-SF was 3 days 2 nights and we had a private room. meals were about the quality of an applebees, so edible, not terrible, not rave-worthy...i feel like they did pretty well with a tiny railoroad kitchen. they have a broiler and a flat top, so i think they were able to do pretty well. the trip from denver to california is the payoff. up through the rockies, utah, slept through most of nevada overnight then wake up the sierras...the observation cars awesome in the mountains. great experience. also got in like 5-6 hours late, but didn't care. if i ever did it again i would just fly to denver and go from there. i've heard the trip up the west coast is pretty amazing, and also very slow and usually very very late.

  9. #49
    The trains in France were great. You could take high speed for long trips. Then there are trains to nearly every town. Only the last mile requires a cab or walking.

    In the US, trains just don't go enough places.

  10. #50
    they go places, but outside of the Northeast US, amtrak does not own the tracks...the freight railroads do, and amtrak is at their mercy, despite operating agreements that should prioritize amtrak trains...you sit forever waiting for freight trains to pass when you are on certain companies' rights-of-way

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 5:54 PM.