• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

From Denver to Vail in 9 minutes

Mapnut

Wait a minute. Accelerating and decelerating to go from Denver to Vail in 9 minutes - How many g-forces is that? I get roughly 23 Gs? And you have to experience it twice, speeding up and slowing down. How many Gs were there in an Apollo rocket launch?

KustyTheKlown

every epic pass idiot flocks to vail by train, I whisk up to a-basin or winter park on I-70 or US-6 without traffic. works for me.

BenedictGomez

Wait a minute. Accelerating and decelerating to go from Denver to Vail in 9 minutes - How many g-forces is that? I get roughly 23 Gs? And you have to experience it twice, speeding up and slowing down. How many Gs were there in an Apollo rocket launch?

It accelerates and decelerates very slowly to minimize G-force effects. Also, they're going to bank the tubes in certain places where needed.

Annnd the line for this bullet train to vail would be longer than just driving there.

It's not a bullet train; it would be several times faster than that. Closer to 600 mph.

gmcunni

and they stop in Dillon on the way to Vail. Can't wait to ride!!!!

BenedictGomez

and they stop in Dillon on the way to Vail. Can't wait to ride!!!!

That part makes little sense to me, as it's only about a 30 minute drive from Dillon to Vail. And HTH many people even live there, 5k?

If this does get built, wouldn't shock me if that Dillon transfer gets scrapped. Unless some big CO politician lives in Dillon, LOL.

KustyTheKlown

yea, it needs a frisco or Dillon or Silverthorne stop. otherwise its just a direct ride to vail (ewww). would be an unfair windfall to vail corp and would really hurt copper, winter park, loveland. and people actually live in Dillon/frisco/Silverthorne. they deserve express service to Denver as much as the ski tourists do.

BenedictGomez

The combined skier visits of Breck and Keystone exceed that of Vail, so I assume the Dillon stop is to serve those areas.

That's a good point, hadn't thought of that. Keystone's not far from there either.

If this thing does get built, it will somewhat abate one of the tourism advantages SLC Utah has over DEN Colorado, that being, ease of transit time to the slopes. You could step off your plane and go from DEN to Vail in probably 40 minutes or less.

Last edited:

mbedle

This is a pipe dream of some very smart people that love spending other peoples money. The logistics of this type of transportation is mind boggling. We are not talking about just a very high speed train, but a high speed train traveling in basically space. The safety issues associated with a breach in the system are astronomical. A catastrophic failure of the tube would pulverize pretty much every carrier in the tube, with a shock wave like a substantial bomb. A rock slide or even a avalanche hits this thing and the tube is going to pancake. The thermal expansion that would occur in an above ground system will make it very difficult to design terminals. It is estimate that an aboveground tube 380 miles long would expand on a hot day the length of 3 football fields. It is estimated that in a 380 mile above ground tube you would need 6000 expansion connection in the tube. That is a lot of potential failure locations. If you are talking about subsurface, you can limit the expansion issues, but the tunneling costs (with today's technologies) would pretty much make this cost prohibited. Thinking on one of the more recent tunnels (Euro tunnel) that cost 21 billion for 30 so miles and that was bore though a chalk layer. We don't have that kind of geology in Co. Never mind adding that if they tunnel this under ground for any length of time, how the hell are you going to get people out in the event of a complete failure???

As far as travel time, that maybe right, but this type of transportation would most likely have the same security issues that airports have to deal with. Arrive 1 hour early, baggage check, loading, travel in 9 minutes and do your baggage pickup. Arrive in Dillion, sit at the terminal waiting for the 30 minute bus ride to Breckenridge. I don't think you are going to also just pretend to read the safety card while listening to the stewardess, prior to riding in this thing. A simple mask dropping from the ceiling is not go to help you if there is a failure in the system. You are talking pretty much instant depth if there is a vacuum leak in the passage carrier. re-presurizing the entire tube at a safe speed might take days. Can't just open a bunch of valves and let the air rush in.

All right, I'm done rambling with my uneducated outlook on this project... lol Would be cool if they pull this off somewhere.

BenedictGomez

a pipe dream of some very smart people that love spending other peoples money.

That's Elon Musk's business model.

Step 1: Convince politician "something" is good for the politician's career

Step 2: Convince politician he can convince people "something" is good for humanity (whether it's true or not)

Step 3: Steal from the taxpayer's pay-check

Step 4: Party with actresses, bottles, and $1M sports cars

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
This is a pipe dream of some very smart people that love spending other peoples money. The logistics of this type of transportation is mind boggling. We are not talking about just a very high speed train, but a high speed train traveling in basically space. The safety issues associated with a breach in the system are astronomical. A catastrophic failure of the tube would pulverize pretty much every carrier in the tube, You are talking pretty much instant death if there is a vacuum leak in the passage carrier..

1+Tesla is above ground 1 bar and still manages to kill people ......I'll pass

mbedle

That's Elon Musk's business model.

Step 1: Convince politician "something" is good for the politician's career

Step 2: Convince politician he can convince people "something" is good for humanity (whether it's true or not)

Step 3: Steal from the taxpayer's pay-check

Step 4: Party with actresses, bottles, and $1M sports cars

LOL that has laughing this morning.