What has happened to Alpine Zone? - Page 6

AlpineZone

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    I think this thread proves there's still life, but yeah, after the epicski demise, some redundancy with NMS is a good thing, a very good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by VTKilarney View Post
    I don't think that this place will die soon unless Nick stops making money off of it, but it will most certainly continue to degrade unless something changes.
    Fixed it
    2017/2018 Days

A-Basin - 10/13

Loveland Pass - 10/6

2016/2017 Days - 34 (inc. 10 BC)
    2015/2016 Days - 57 (inc. 2 BC)
    2014/2015 Days - 58
    2013/2014 Days - 47 (inc. 6 BC)

I'll tell you where. Someplace warm. A place where the beer flows like wine. Where beautiful women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano. I'm talking about a little place called Aspen.

Quote Originally Posted by Siliconebobsquarepants View Post
    http://www.cloudmont.com

New site this year
    Hah. I was in northern Alabama for 2 weeks this past January and was hoping to ski there, but it was too warm. Apparently they blow snow like crazy when it's cold enough, it lasts a couple days before it all melts, then they are closed until the next coldfront
    2017/2018 Days

A-Basin - 10/13

Loveland Pass - 10/6

2014/2015 Days - 58

I'll tell you where. Someplace warm. A place where the beer flows like wine. Where beautiful women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano. I'm talking about a little place called Aspen.

Quote Originally Posted by skiNEwhere View Post
    Hah. I was in northern Alabama for 2 weeks this past January and was hoping to ski there, but it was too warm. Apparently they blow snow like crazy when it's cold enough, it lasts a couple days before it all melts, then they are closed until the next coldfront
    Wow, how can they possibly make any money?

Quote Originally Posted by SkiMom80 View Post
    What place would that be?
    Sorry thought the link dropped in. http://www.northeastmountainsports.com
    15-16 Killington 11-17-16

Quote Originally Posted by Jully View Post
    Wow, how can they possibly make any money?
    I feel like it's almost the novelty of skiing that brings business in that region. The ski area is only a few acres as well so it's not like they need to blow that much snow.
    2017/2018 Days

A-Basin - 10/13

Loveland Pass - 10/6

2014/2015 Days - 58

Quote Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
    I'd hate to see this place go away. While I'm more active on Pugski I do come here every day to check things out. I really like having a site with the primary focus being the northeast.
    http://www.northeastmountainsports.com
    15-16 Killington 11-17-16

Quote Originally Posted by skiNEwhere View Post
    Fixed it
    How much money can a website like this make? And doesn't everyone use ad-blockers anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by VTKilarney View Post
    How much money can a website like this make? And doesn't everyone use ad-blockers anyway?
    A site *like this*?

I'll let other with more direct knowledge comment. The key to maintaining profitability is probably the lack of reinvestment. If you believe this isn't a growth market, then financially your best decision is to keep it on life support and keep cashing the checks. As you mention, ad blockers have eliminated most of the up side. That's why most newspapers are paywalled when in the past they were freely available.

I can speak with some experience on the economics of well maintained, modern ski forum site. It loses money every month. I've been keeping an eye on the bottom line and believe the key to long-term sustainability will be to derive some alternative revenue stream besides the primary ad-supported content. I have to pay for a modern software platform, stable cloud-based hosting, mobile apps, promotions, and content development. If you don't have a passion for it, then it's not worth the effort. Which brings up back to a *site like this*.
    2016-2017: 79 days
    2015-2016: 54 days
    2014-2015: 63 days
    2013-2014: 68 days

Quiver: 2014 Liberty Sequence (182 cm), 2014 K2 Rictor 82 XTi (177 cm), 2015 Nordica NRGY 100 (177 cm), 2016 Head Monster 88 (177 cm), 2017 Voelkl Racetiger SL (165 cm), 2017 Nordica Enforcer 93 (193 cm), 2017 Revision Subtraction (194 cm)

Quote Originally Posted by yeggous View Post
    A site *like this*?

I'll let other with more direct knowledge comment. The key to maintaining profitability is probably the lack of reinvestment. If you believe this isn't a growth market, then financially your best decision is to keep it on life support and keep cashing the checks. As you mention, ad blockers have eliminated most of the up side. That's why most newspapers are paywalled when in the past they were freely available.

I can speak with some experience on the economics of well maintained, modern ski forum site. It loses money every month. I've been keeping an eye on the bottom line and believe the key to long-term sustainability will be to derive some alternative revenue stream besides the primary ad-supported content. I have to pay for a modern software platform, stable cloud-based hosting, mobile apps, promotions, and content development. If you don't have a passion for it, then it's not worth the effort. Which brings up back to a *site like this*.
    Alpine zone defiantly makes more money. If you google northeast ski forum Skimrv.com and a link who's description is all Korean except "alpinezone.com" comes up.

Thread Information