• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What has happened to Alpine Zone?

cdskier

Alpine zone defiantly makes more money. If you google northeast ski forum Skimrv.com and a link who's description is all Korean except "alpinezone.com" comes up.

Being high on a google search result doesn't mean a site definitely makes "more money".

BenedictGomez

Being high on a google search result doesn't mean a site definitely makes "more money".

Yeah, especially given all you have to do is pay GOOG some extortion money to get up to the top of the search results.

And BTW, anyone remember the below scene in Vacation where Chevy Chase's character is getting his car fixed, and he asks the mechanic how much it costs, and the mechanic says, "well, how much you got?"

Most folks don't realize this, but that's not really all that dissimilar to how GOOG operates its' fee model.

Last edited:

benski

True but it means NMS is probably only getting click from readers of this thread, limiting its growth for now. I think reading this thread is the only reasonable way to find it.

yeggous

You think Nick pays for higher search results?

Maybe. He uses Google Ads, so they have an incentive to drive traffic to sites that use their ad network.

And the results also vary based on platform, your history, etc. Here are my results to the query "northeast ski forum"

Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 10.44.57 AM.jpg

BenedictGomez

You think Nick pays for higher search results?

No idea. It's possible there are no payers for the likely search string in that area given how niche something like "northeast ski forum" etc... is, and somebody has to be at or near the top after all.

VTKilarney

No idea. It's possible there are no payers for the likely search string in that area given how niche something like "northeast ski forum" etc... is, and somebody has to be at or near the top after all.

I just did a Google search for "northeast ski forum" and not a single Adword listing came up - so I doubt that anyone is paying to be at the top of the page for that particular search.

Surprisingly enough, the same is true when I search for "northeast skiing" and "northeast ski area."

Frankly, thanks to Adblocker, I've never seen an ad on this site let alone clicked on one. Surely I am not the only one out there.

cdskier

Frankly, thanks to Adblocker, I've never seen an ad on this site let alone clicked on one. Surely I am not the only one out there.

I don't have adblocker, but the ads that do exist for logged in users are very minimal (one banner at the top and bottom of the page that I've never clicked on...). And usually the one at the bottom is so far down the page that I rarely even see it. I think if you browse the site as a guest you see many inline ads in the middle of threads.

Smellytele

I don't have adblocker, but the ads that do exist for logged in users are very minimal (one banner at the top and bottom of the page that I've never clicked on...). And usually the one at the bottom is so far down the page that I rarely even see it. I think if you browse the site as a guest you see many inline ads in the middle of threads.

Never knew there was one at the bottom :)
The one at the top is usually some site that I have recently gone to.

MEtoVTSkier

Yeah, I'm not using ad-blockers on this browser, and I've never noticed the one at the bottom either. The top one is usually something I've shopped for, or am in the process of shopping for, so it doesn't bother me either.

Domeskier

Alpine Zone really wants me to buy a $300,000 wristwatch. And visit online gambling sites where the grand prize appears to be a Russian mail-order bride. If only there were a way to figure out what people visiting a website dedicated to discussing skiing 365 days year might be tempted to buy.

benski

Alpine Zone really wants me to buy a $300,000 wristwatch. And visit online gambling sites where the grand prize appears to be a Russian mail-order bride. If only there were a way to figure out what people visiting a website dedicated to discussing skiing 365 days year might be tempted to buy.

I have been in the Netherlands the for the last month so now it tries selling me dutch products in dutch. Right now i have a cell phone company I can't even buy without a Dutch bank account.

BenedictGomez

If only there were a way to figure out what people visiting a website dedicated to discussing skiing 365 days year might be tempted to buy.

Well, there is a website dedicated to figure out what you might be tempted to buy, it's called Facebook.

MEtoVTSkier

That would be good feedback to give. They have a thread dedicated to these type of comments.

But what sub-forum. Way too may sub-forums to hunt thru to find stuff. Not everything needs to be taken out of "General Discussions" and given its own sub-forum. It makes it take waaay too long to pass thru, see what's new, read it, and be on your way... hint, hint ;)

cdskier

But what sub-forum. Way too may sub-forums to hunt thru to find stuff. Not everything needs to be taken out of "General Discussions" and given its own sub-forum. It makes it take waaay too long to pass thru, see what's new, read it, and be on your way... hint, hint ;)

So true...I much prefer all skiing related topics in one forum instead of numerous sub-forums. 95% of the time here on AZ for example I only refresh this specific sub-forum that this thread is in and never look at any of the other sub-forums.